Recovery Database Error hr=0x80004005, ec=1276

Question

• Hi All
    We had a major hardware failure on our AD DC and exchange 2010 server last week. Have been forced to rebuild the server from scratch as the backup by windows server backup would not restore onto different hardware. So now the new server is up and running.
    I have installed exchange 2010 on the server and have ceated a new mail database which my users are happily conencting to. I want to now mount the old .edb files containing both the mailboxes and the public folders so I can extract the data and restore my users old mail, contacts and calenders.
    Following the instruction on technet and here http://exchangeserverpro.com/restore-individual-mailbox-exchange-2010#restore I have managed to get to the stage of mounting  the recovery database. When trying to do so either in console or shell I get the below error message.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Microsoft Exchange Error
    Failed to mount database 'RecoveryDB'.
    RecoveryDB
    Failed
    Error:
    Couldn't mount the database that you specified. Specified database: RecoveryDB; Error code: An Active Manager operation failed. Error: The database action failed. Error: Operation failed with message: MapiExceptionCallFailed: Unable to mount database. (hr=0x80004005, ec=1276)
    . [Database: RecoveryDB, Server: mail.karakan.com.au].
    An Active Manager operation failed. Error: The database action failed. Error: Operation failed with message: MapiExceptionCallFailed: Unable to mount database. (hr=0x80004005, ec=1276)
    . [Database: RecoveryDB, Server: mail.karakan.com.au]
    An Active Manager operation failed. Error: Operation failed with message: MapiExceptionCallFailed: Unable to mount database. (hr=0x80004005, ec=1276)
    . [Server: mail.karakan.com.au]
    MapiExceptionCallFailed: Unable to mount database. (hr=0x80004005, ec=1276)
    OK
    The event id for the error in event viewer is 6. 
    I have used eseutil to repair the database and now the report ps shows the database is in clean shutdown state. I cannot find any solutions that address this exact error message. 
    Please please please I need some help.
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 2:01 AM

All replies

• I am on my way home so don't have time to help a bunch on this until morning, however, if you want to validate the database check out Lucid8's DigiScope http://www.lucid8.com/product/digiscope.asp since it can open an offline database so that you can then browse, search, export or recover data to the production server.   If you can see the data via DigiScope then you know the database is good and we can continue forward debugging your issue OR if you are in a hurry you can purchase project licence and let DigiScope do the recovery for you

Troy Werelius
    www.Lucid8.com
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 2:12 AM
  • Wednesday, April 27, 2011 5:19 AM
  • Hi John

Thanks but have already followed this and no luck. That KB is for error id 9519 and 9518

My error id is 6

Like I said, I have looked and tried so much however cannot find anything that addresses my exact error id...

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 9:22 AM
  • Is the database from a backup or simply taken from the offline servers hard drive?
    Might want to see if "eseutil /mh E:\database.edb" tells you if the database is clean or dirty.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 11:22 AM
  • Already done Andrew. The database was extracted from windows server backup application restore and the database is in a clean shut down state.
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 11:39 AM
  • What is logged in the Event Logs when you attempt to mount the recovery database?

I notice in your first post you said the database has had a repair.  Was this repaired as the backup restore was still in a dirty shutdown or have you repaired the database that was left on the hard drives of the faulting server?

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 11:41 AM
  • - System

- Provider
          [ Name] MSExchange CmdletLogs

- EventID 6
          [ Qualifiers] 49152

Level 2

Task 1

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated
          [ SystemTime] 2011-04-26T08:15:34.000000000Z

EventRecordID 91

Channel MSExchange Management

Computer mail.karakan.com.au

Security
    - EventData
        Mount-Database
        {Identity=RecoveryDB}
        karakan.com.au/Users/Administrator
        S-1-5-21-659489253-3096642797-2127776699-500
        S-1-5-21-659489253-3096642797-2127776699-500
        ServerRemoteHost-EMC

00:00:09.3065627
        View Entire Forest: 'True', Configuration Domain Controller: 'mail.karakan.com.au', Preferred Global Catalog: 'mail.karakan.com.au', Preferred Domain Controllers: '{ mail.karakan.com.au }'
        System.InvalidOperationException: Couldn't mount the database that you specified. Specified database: RecoveryDB; Error code: An Active Manager operation failed. Error: The database action failed. Error: Operation failed with message: MapiExceptionCallFailed: Unable to mount database. (hr=0x80004005, ec=1276) . [Database: RecoveryDB, Server: mail.karakan.com.au]. ---> Microsoft.Exchange.Cluster.Replay.AmDbActionWrapperException: An Active Manager operation failed. Error: The database action failed. Error: Operation failed with message: MapiExceptionCallFailed: Unable to mount database. (hr=0x80004005, ec=1276) . ---> Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.AmOperationFailedException: An Active Manager operation failed. Error: Operation failed with message: MapiExceptionCallFailed: Unable to mount database. (hr=0x80004005, ec=1276) . ---> Microsoft.Mapi.MapiExceptionCallFailed: MapiExceptionCallFailed: Unable to mount database. (hr=0x80004005, ec=1276) at Microsoft.Mapi.MapiExceptionHelper.ThrowIfError(String message, Int32 hresult, SafeExInterfaceHandle iUnknown, Exception innerException) at Microsoft.Mapi.ExRpcAdmin.MountDatabase(Guid guidStorageGroup, Guid guidMdb, Int32 ulFlags) at Microsoft.Exchange.Cluster.ActiveManagerServer.AmStoreHelper.Mount(Guid mdbGuid, MountFlags flags) at Microsoft.Exchange.Cluster.ActiveManagerServer.ActiveManagerCore.<>c__DisplayClassb.<MountDatabaseDirect>b__2() at Microsoft.Exchange.Cluster.Replay.FailoverPerformanceTrackerBase`1.RunTimedOperation(TOpCode opCode, Action operation) at Microsoft.Exchange.Cluster.ActiveManagerServer.ActiveManagerCore.MountDatabaseDirect(Guid mdbGuid, MountFlags storeFlags, AmMountFlags amMountFlags, AmDbActionCode actionCode) at Microsoft.Exchange.Cluster.ActiveManagerServer.AmRpcServer.<>c__DisplayClass19.<MountDatabaseDirect>b__18() at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.Cluster.HaRpcExceptionWrapperBase`2.RunRpcServerOperation(String databaseName, RpcServerOperation rpcOperation) --- End of inner exception stack trace (Microsoft.Mapi.MapiExceptionCallFailed) --- --- End of stack trace on server (mail.karakan.com.au) --- at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.Cluster.HaRpcExceptionWrapperBase`2.ClientRethrowIfFailed(String databaseName, String serverName, RpcErrorExceptionInfo errorInfo) at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.ActiveManager.AmRpcClientHelper.RunRpcOperationWithAuth(AmRpcOperationHint rpcOperationHint, String serverName, String databaseName, NetworkCredential networkCredential, Nullable`1 timeoutMs, InternalRpcOperation rpcOperation) at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.ActiveManager.AmRpcClientHelper.MountDatabaseDirectEx(String serverToRpc, Guid dbGuid, AmMountArg mountArg) at Microsoft.Exchange.Cluster.ActiveManagerServer.AmDbAction.MountDatabaseDirect(AmServerName serverName, AmServerName lastMountedServerName, Guid dbGuid, MountFlags storeFlags, AmMountFlags amFlags, AmDbActionCode actionCode) at Microsoft.Exchange.Cluster.ActiveManagerServer.AmDbStandaloneAction.<>c__DisplayClass2.<MountInternal>b__0(Object , EventArgs ) at Microsoft.Exchange.Cluster.ActiveManagerServer.AmHelper.HandleKnownExceptions(EventHandler ev) --- End of inner exception stack trace (Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.AmOperationFailedException) --- at Microsoft.Exchange.Cluster.ActiveManagerServer.AmDbOperation.Wait(TimeSpan timeout) at Microsoft.Exchange.Cluster.ActiveManagerServer.ActiveManagerCore.MountDatabase(Guid mdbGuid, MountFlags storeFlags, AmMountFlags amMountFlags, DatabaseMountDialOverride mountDialOverride, AmDbActionCode actionCode) at Microsoft.Exchange.Cluster.ActiveManagerServer.AmRpcServer.<>c__DisplayClass4.<MountDatabase>b__3() at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.Cluster.HaRpcExceptionWrapperBase`2.RunRpcServerOperation(String databaseName, RpcServerOperation rpcOperation) --- End of stack trace on server (mail.karakan.com.au) --- at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.Cluster.HaRpcExceptionWrapperBase`2.ClientRethrowIfFailed(String databaseName, String serverName, RpcErrorExceptionInfo errorInfo) at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.ActiveManager.AmRpcClientHelper.RunDatabaseRpcWithReferral(AmRpcOperationHint rpcOperationHint, Database database, String targetServer, InternalRpcOperation rpcOperation) at Microsoft.Exchange.Management.SystemConfigurationTasks.MountDatabase.RequestMount(MountFlags storeMountFlags) at Microsoft.Exchange.Management.SystemConfigurationTasks.MountDatabase.InternalProcessRecord() --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
        Microsoft.Exchange.Cluster.Replay.AmDbActionWrapperException: An Active Manager operation failed. Error: The database action failed. Error: Operation failed with message: MapiExceptionCallFailed: Unable to mount database. (hr=0x80004005, ec=1276) . ---> Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.AmOperationFailedException: An Active Manager operation failed. Error: Operation failed with message: MapiExceptionCallFailed: Unable to mount database. (hr=0x80004005, ec=1276) . ---> Microsoft.Mapi.MapiExceptionCallFailed: MapiExceptionCallFailed: Unable to mount database. (hr=0x80004005, ec=1276) at Microsoft.Mapi.MapiExceptionHelper.ThrowIfError(String message, Int32 hresult, SafeExInterfaceHandle iUnknown, Exception innerException) at Microsoft.Mapi.ExRpcAdmin.MountDatabase(Guid guidStorageGroup, Guid guidMdb, Int32 ulFlags) at Microsoft.Exchange.Cluster.ActiveManagerServer.AmStoreHelper.Mount(Guid mdbGuid, MountFlags flags) at Microsoft.Exchange.Cluster.ActiveManagerServer.ActiveManagerCore.<>c__DisplayClassb.<MountDatabaseDirect>b__2() at Microsoft.Exchange.Cluster.Replay.FailoverPerformanceTrackerBase`1.RunTimedOperation(TOpCode opCode, Action operation) at Microsoft.Exchange.Cluster.ActiveManagerServer.ActiveManagerCore.MountDatabaseDirect(Guid mdbGuid, MountFlags storeFlags, AmMountFlags amMountFlags, AmDbActionCode actionCode) at Microsoft.Exchange.Cluster.ActiveManagerServer.AmRpcServer.<>c__DisplayClass19.<MountDatabaseDirect>b__18() at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.Cluster.HaRpcExceptionWrapperBase`2.RunRpcServerOperation(String databaseName, RpcServerOperation rpcOperation) --- End of inner exception stack trace (Microsoft.Mapi.MapiExceptionCallFailed) --- --- End of stack trace on server (mail.karakan.com.au) --- at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.Cluster.HaRpcExceptionWrapperBase`2.ClientRethrowIfFailed(String databaseName, String serverName, RpcErrorExceptionInfo errorInfo) at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.ActiveManager.AmRpcClientHelper.RunRpcOperationWithAuth(AmRpcOperationHint rpcOperationHint, String serverName, String databaseName, NetworkCredential networkCredential, Nullable`1 timeoutMs, InternalRpcOperation rpcOperation) at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.ActiveManager.AmRpcClientHelper.MountDatabaseDirectEx(String serverToRpc, Guid dbGuid, AmMountArg mountArg) at Microsoft.Exchange.Cluster.ActiveManagerServer.AmDbAction.MountDatabaseDirect(AmServerName serverName, AmServerName lastMountedServerName, Guid dbGuid, MountFlags storeFlags, AmMountFlags amFlags, AmDbActionCode actionCode) at Microsoft.Exchange.Cluster.ActiveManagerServer.AmDbStandaloneAction.<>c__DisplayClass2.<MountInternal>b__0(Object , EventArgs ) at Microsoft.Exchange.Cluster.ActiveManagerServer.AmHelper.HandleKnownExceptions(EventHandler ev) --- End of inner exception stack trace (Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.AmOperationFailedException) --- at Microsoft.Exchange.Cluster.ActiveManagerServer.AmDbOperation.Wait(TimeSpan timeout) at Microsoft.Exchange.Cluster.ActiveManagerServer.ActiveManagerCore.MountDatabase(Guid mdbGuid, MountFlags storeFlags, AmMountFlags amMountFlags, DatabaseMountDialOverride mountDialOverride, AmDbActionCode actionCode) at Microsoft.Exchange.Cluster.ActiveManagerServer.AmRpcServer.<>c__DisplayClass4.<MountDatabase>b__3() at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.Cluster.HaRpcExceptionWrapperBase`2.RunRpcServerOperation(String databaseName, RpcServerOperation rpcOperation) --- End of stack trace on server (mail.karakan.com.au) --- at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.Cluster.HaRpcExceptionWrapperBase`2.ClientRethrowIfFailed(String databaseName, String serverName, RpcErrorExceptionInfo errorInfo) at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.ActiveManager.AmRpcClientHelper.RunDatabaseRpcWithReferral(AmRpcOperationHint rpcOperationHint, Database database, String targetServer, InternalRpcOperation rpcOperation) at Microsoft.Exchange.Management.SystemConfigurationTasks.MountDatabase.RequestMount(MountFlags storeMountFlags) at Microsoft.Exchange.Management.SystemConfigurationTasks.MountDatabase.InternalProcessRecord()
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 12:27 PM
  • What is logged in the Event Logs when you attempt to mount the recovery database?

I notice in your first post you said the database has had a repair.  Was this repaired as the backup restore was still in a dirty shutdown or have you repaired the database that was left on the hard drives of the faulting server?

Sorry yes, the only repair it has had was running this command in eseutil to bring it into clean shutdown

[PS] D:\>eseutil /r E00 /i /l D:\Recovery\E_\Logs\EX201 /d 'D:\Recovery\D_\Data\EX201\Mailbox Database EX2 01.edb'

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 12:28 PM
  • And I repaired the .edb that was restore doing an application restore from a backup using windows server backup....
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 12:29 PM
  • I'm really confused now.  You restored the backup but this was still showing as a dirty shutdown so you repaired it?

Have you done an eseutil /g?

When your mounting the database are can you try removing the E00* log files if there are any present?

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 12:56 PM
  • Whats to be confused about.

2 HHD in raid 0 failed within a couple of hours of each other. Rebuilt server from scratch, did an application restore of exchange to a different sirectory. Using eseutil on the .edb file it showed it was in a dirty shutdown state, so I ran eseutil to make a clean shut down state. 

Havenn't tried eseutil /g. What does it do?

And no, haven't tried deleteing log files? 

What log files should I be deleting? And then if I delete the log files where should I direct exchange to look for the log files?

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 1:26 PM
  • Before repairing you tried to mount it?

Move the logs into a new directory.  Leave Exchange looking for the non-existent logs.  If it can mount up it will mount with a new set of logs created.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 1:37 PM
  • Yes, i tried to mount it the first time without repairing it, when i realised why this wasn't working I deleted the restore directories after removing the unmounted database from exchange and started the whole process again right from restoring the application in windows server backup. Now I have this problem

I just tried removing the logs and directing exchange to use an empty folder to use for the logs for the database.

When I tried to mount the database I got the exact same error however exchange create a bunch of log files in the empty folder.

Does this tell you anything?

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 2:46 PM
  • Ok, no this is the first time I have attempted to use RDB ever, including this server, no chance of confusion over file paths etc.

I did have to use Eseutil /p however I am unaware of what /d does? Enlighten me :-)

I am now trying the steps before I do /d being:

2. Have you used the RDB prior?  any chance you have a bunch of other files in the paths and its confusing things?  

3. I understand that the database is currently in a CONSISTENT state, correct?  If so then perhaps you can try this.

A: Copy the current copy of the consistent database into  a safe location.

B: Delete all the  databases and logs created prior in the RDB paths.

C: Create a new Recovery Database.

D: Copy existing clean/consistent database to the new Recovery Database folder and rename it to the same name of the database folder.

For example: if you create a Recovery Database  named as RecoveryDB, the name of the database folder will be RecoveryDB. Then, rename copy of the    consistent/clean database to "RecoveryDB.edb"

E: Try to mount the database.

F: Let us know the results

I'll let you know in 15-20 mins depending on how long it takes me to go through the steps.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 2:57 PM
  • When you mount after a restore though Exchange will automatically attempt to replay logs.
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 3:04 PM
  • Ok, so here is what i did.
    Removed the recoveryDB in exchange.
    Copied the good .edb that is in a clean shutdown state to a new directory called RecoveryDB2. Left all logs and the like behind, only moved the .edb file.
    Started exchange console as administrator and the code I used is below
             Welcome to the Exchange Management Shell!
    Full list of cmdlets: Get-Command
    Only Exchange cmdlets: Get-ExCommand
    Cmdlets that match a specific string: Help *<string>*
    Get general help: Help
    Get help for a cmdlet: Help <cmdlet name> or <cmdlet name> -?
    Show quick reference guide: QuickRef
    Exchange team blog: Get-ExBlog
    Show full output for a command: <command> | Format-List
    Tip of the day #6:
    Want to see the members of a dynamic distribution group that has a custom filter? Just use the Get-Recipient cmdlet. Typ
    e:
     $DDG = Get-DynamicDistributionGroup "Contoso Marketing Managers"
     Get-Recipient -RecipientPreviewFilter $DDG.RecipientFilter
    VERBOSE: Connecting to mail.karakan.com.au
    VERBOSE: Connected to mail.karakan.com.au.
    [PS] C:\Windows\system32>New-MailboxDatabase RecoveryDB2 -Server Mail -Recovery:$true -EdbFilePath "C:\Users\Administrat
    or\Desktop\RecoveryDB2\RecoveryDB2.edb" -LogFolderPath "C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\RecoveryDB2\logs"
    WARNING: Recovery database 'RecoveryDB2' was created using existing file
    C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\RecoveryDB2\RecoveryDB2.edb. The database must be brought into a clean shutdown state
    before it can be mounted.
    Name                           Server          Recovery        ReplicationType
    ----                           ------          --------        ---------------
    RecoveryDB2                    MAIL            True            None
    [PS] C:\Windows\system32>eseutil /mh "C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\RecoveryDB2\RecoveryDB2.edb"
    Extensible Storage Engine Utilities for Microsoft(R) Exchange Server
    Version 14.01
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
    Initiating FILE DUMP mode...
             Database: C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\RecoveryDB2\RecoveryDB2.edb
    DATABASE HEADER:
    Checksum Information:
    Expected Checksum: 0x0829ebdd
      Actual Checksum: 0x0829ebdd
    Fields:
            File Type: Database
             Checksum: 0x829ebdd
       Format ulMagic: 0x89abcdef
       Engine ulMagic: 0x89abcdef
     Format ulVersion: 0x620,17
     Engine ulVersion: 0x620,17
    Created ulVersion: 0x620,17
         DB Signature: Create time:04/20/2011 13:16:45 Rand:123237414 Computer:
             cbDbPage: 32768
               dbtime: 150307909 (0x8f58445)
                State: Clean Shutdown
         Log Required: 0-0 (0x0-0x0)
        Log Committed: 0-0 (0x0-0x0)
       Log Recovering: 0 (0x0)
      GenMax Creation: 00/00/1900 00:00:00
             Shadowed: Yes
           Last Objid: 12382
         Scrub Dbtime: 0 (0x0)
           Scrub Date: 00/00/1900 00:00:00
         Repair Count: 2
          Repair Date: 04/20/2011 13:16:45
     Old Repair Count: 0
      Last Consistent: (0x2,8,103)  04/28/2011 00:41:38
          Last Attach: (0x1,9,6C)  04/28/2011 00:41:37
          Last Detach: (0x2,8,103)  04/28/2011 00:41:38
                 Dbid: 1
        Log Signature: Create time:04/28/2011 00:41:33 Rand:109950526 Computer:
           OS Version: (6.1.7601 SP 1 NLS ffffffff.ffffffff)
    Previous Full Backup:
            Log Gen: 0-0 (0x0-0x0)
               Mark: (0x0,0,0)
               Mark: 00/00/1900 00:00:00
    Previous Incremental Backup:
    Previous Copy Backup:
    Previous Differential Backup:
    Current Full Backup:
    Current Shadow copy backup:
         cpgUpgrade55Format: 0
        cpgUpgradeFreePages: 0
    cpgUpgradeSpaceMapPages: 0
           ECC Fix Success Count: none
       Old ECC Fix Success Count: none
             ECC Fix Error Count: none
         Old ECC Fix Error Count: none
        Bad Checksum Error Count: none
    Old bad Checksum Error Count: none
      Last checksum finish Date: 00/00/1900 00:00:00
    Current checksum start Date: 00/00/1900 00:00:00
          Current checksum page: 0
    Operation completed successfully in 0.94 seconds.
    [PS] C:\Windows\system32>mount-Database RecoveryDB2
    Couldn't mount the database that you specified. Specified database: RecoveryDB2; Error code: An Active Manager operatio
    n failed. Error: The database action failed. Error: Operation failed with message: MapiExceptionCallFailed: Unable to m
    ount database. (hr=0x80004005, ec=1276)
    . [Database: RecoveryDB2, Server: mail.karakan.com.au].
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (RecoveryDB2:ADObjectId) [Mount-Database], InvalidOperationException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : 62C17845,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.SystemConfigurationTasks.MountDatabase
    [PS] C:\Windows\system32>
    As you can see it gave me the same error message. So time to try the /d me thinks... What is it?
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 3:16 PM
  • Ok, so just to be clear.

/d will look like this in the console.

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>eseutil /d "C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\RecoveryDB2\RecoveryDB2.edb"

Is that what I'm aiming for?

I have checked, plenty of diskspace and it's 1:20am here so no users using the system either :-)

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 3:21 PM
  • Standby I am composing an email.... one moment
    Troy Werelius
    www.Lucid8.com
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 3:23 PM
  • Ok just to ensure we are synced up, did you do the following?

A: Copy the current copy of the consistent database into a safe location. COMPLETELY  out of ANY and ALL paths that the RDB is aware of.

B: Delete all the  databases and logs created prior that are in in the RDB paths. ( Get rid of all previously created RDB paths as well )

C: Create a new Recovery Database.  For example New-MailboxDatabase -Recovery -Name RecoveryDB -Server MBX1 -EdbFilePath "C:\Recovery\RecoveryDB\RecoveryDB.EDB" -LogFolderPath "C:\Recovery\RecoveryDB" More information here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee332321.aspx

Question: What is the result after you attempt to recreate the RDB?  If all is well then move on else stop

D: Copy existing clean/consistent database to the new Recovery Database folder and rename it to the same name of the database folder. ( This requires that you delete any logs and databases that are already in place within the \RecoveryDB directory first of course)

For example: if you create a Recovery Database  named as RecoveryDB, the name of the database folder will be RecoveryDB. Then, rename copy of the    consistent/clean database to "RecoveryDB.edb"

E: Try to mount the database.

F: Let us know the results

If these doesn't work then to run the /D [DB path name] against a COPY of that database ( i.e. don't use your only copy in case something goes Boom!)

EXAMPLE:

Eseutil /d  F:\Exchange Server\mdbdata\Mailbox Database.edb

NOTE: Obviously you replace the path so the it points to the COPY of the offline EDB that you ran a /P against

NOTE2: More info here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/192185

Troy Werelius
    www.Lucid8.com
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 3:35 PM
  • F: let you know the results. I did, in a post which is a few higher than this.

I have started the defrag, should I try mounting it again after it is complete?

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 3:38 PM
  • ok so I saw the results but it was unclear if you followed the steps in detail so my REPOST added some additional details and questions, can you please review and reply?

Also What SP level are you on, i.e. 2010 RTM? SP1? SP1 RU1, RU2 RU3 ??

Troy Werelius
    www.Lucid8.com
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 3:41 PM
  • I followed your steps word for word....

Running Server 08 R2 enterprise

Exchange Server 2010 SP1 RU2 (didn't know RU3 was available)

Also, this /d operation is chewing up over 2 gig of ram.... Crazy stuff....

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 3:49 PM
  • Ok, /d is done. I'm making a copy of the file as it is now.

I'm going to try and mount it, if it fails then download digiscope is next step.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 5:01 PM
  •  great, thanks for the update and hopefully it will do the trick!
    Troy Werelius
    www.Lucid8.com
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 5:05 PM
  • If not you will have a sale cause this is costing me way to much time. Looks like it will be cheaper just to pay a fee and have it sorted.
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 5:05 PM
  • mount failed with same error

I'm downloading digiscope now... lets see what it says and I'll go from there

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 5:11 PM
  • Crud :-(

OK so once you get it downloaded the setup is fairly straight forward.  You can install it on a 64 bit box that has access to the EDB or directly on the Exchange server if you like. If you have any issues, just open a support case and I will have them WebEx in with you to assist

Troy Werelius
    www.Lucid8.com
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 5:13 PM
  • Hey this is a question more of laziness, (I'm so tired right now).

I have installed digiscope although I ticked and flicked through most of the setup.

Where can I find instructions or a video of how to load the .edb file and run it through the software?

Thanks.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 5:21 PM
  • Send me an email  Troyw @ Lucid8.com and I will get a support engineer to do a WebEx with you right away
    Troy Werelius
    www.Lucid8.com
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 5:22 PM
  • Thanks for your help Troy.

Wish i had not wasted all of this time going down this path and just come straight to digiscope.... Problem will be fixed as soon as I have a license. Which no doubt will be today sometime :-)

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 7:13 PM
  • Hey Happy to assist and yeah in hindsight its easy to feel that way, but heck your heart was in the right place trying to save the company some $$.  I find that in these situations if nothing else using DigiScope http://www.lucid8.com/product/digiscope.asp is a great sanity check, i.e. yup the database opens and is clean so its not the database.   Anyway glad we were able to help you out and we look forward to having you as a customer!

P.S. Tell everyone you know about DigiScope :-)

Troy Werelius
    www.Lucid8.com
    • Proposed as answer by Troy Werelius Monday, May 23, 2011 4:11 PM
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 7:38 PM
  • Hi roverchips,

Seems like you prefer to use 3rd party software now. But the RDB is worth trying.

1, please remove any other RDB first.

2, create a RDB: New-MailboxDatabase -Recovery -Name RDB2 -Server MBX1 -EdbFilePath "C:\Recovery\RDB2\RDB2.EDB" -LogFolderPath "C:\Recovery\RDB2"

Create a Recovery Database

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee332321.aspx

3, copy the clean shutdown recovered database to the C:\Recovery\RDB2, rename it to RDB2.edb

4,try to mount it.(By the way, please make sure you select the "This database can be overwritten by a restore" in the Maintenance tab)

And about the Event ID 6, you check it in the Administrative Events(Event viewer->Custom Views), right?

Please check the error events in the Application(Windows Logs).

Last but not least, "had a major hardware failure on our AD DC and exchange 2010 server last week", not only your Exchange server, but also your DC was failed?

Frank Wang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com  

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 7:22 AM
  • Just to close this off... Everything is now up and running.

I purchased a copy of digiscope http://www.lucid8.com/product/digiscope.asp and after a couple of hours everything was up and running.

Have since tried rdb on a clean test system with a very small database and it works, I guess my live db was corrupt to the point that all of the ms tools could not fix it....

Monday, May 23, 2011 9:40 AM