none
Outlook 2010 password pop-up after Migration from 2003 to 2010 Exchange

Question

• Hi All

I just finished Exchange 2010 setup, we have 2003 in the enviroment.

All is working well no serious issues.

I migrated 4 users from 2003 to 2010.

The Outlook 2003/2010 client "found" the new settings and the user was able to connect to 2010 for email.

These 4 users when in the office have no issues or password pop-ups.

At home Outlook fat client doesnt work. The user was missing the check mark in the "outlook anywhere".

Once I put the check mark in the box saved and re-opened fat client the users starts to get the pop-up for ID and password.

Now with a new user created via the Exchange 2010 EMC no issues, The user has the check mark in the "outlook anywhere".

When at home the pop-up comes up (expected) and all is well. When at work no pop-up and all is well.

So what did I do wrong for the 2003 migrated users? or how can I fix it.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 9:06 PM

Answers

All replies

• If you have configured Autodiscover properly, Outlook should configure itself including Outlook Anywhere.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 1:27 AM
  • Well the issue is that a migrated user is

1. Missing the checkbox for Outlook anywhere (no real big deal)

2. Users that were on 2003 and migrated to 2010 get pop-ups once outlook anywhere is checked (inside/outside network)

A NEW user created on 2010 has the checkbox, and is only prompted if outside the network.

How do I fix the migrated user that gets the pop-ups inside the network?

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 1:58 PM
  • I think I found the issue, the users that were migrated are attempting to connect to the 2003 public folders.
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 2:20 PM
  • Update

I changed the default public folder to 2010 and the user that was migrated still gets the pop-up.

So can some help me please?

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 9:35 PM
  • Hi,

Are the migrated users able to access Exchange  after input password and ID?

I suggest you  re-creating outlook profile for the migrated user first, then checking the following configuration.

I assume you are using Outlook 2010

Click “Files”à”Account Settings”à”Account Settings”àDouble click accountàMore settings

àsecurity.

1. check “Encrypt data between Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Exchange”

2.Logon network security: Password Authentication (NTLM)
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 2:36 AM
  • Sorry for the late post.

I have been on the phone with MS Support for the last 3 days working on this.

What we did is basically give up (well I gave up on MS Support they were fumbling too much) and we removed the public folders from 2010 and recreated them and the replicas (what a PITA).

Outlook client worked for 20 min then I started to get the pop-up again!

I will try your steps tomorrow after I remove the profile from the test users PC and let you know the results.

Monday, April 18, 2011 12:53 AM
  • Well the

I assume you are using Outlook 2010

Click “Files”à”Account Settings”à”Account Settings”àDouble click accountàMore settings

àsecurity.

1. check “Encrypt data between Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Exchange”

2.Logon network security: Password Authentication (NTLM)

Didnt work, I also tried http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-NZ/exchangesvrtransport/thread/3162762b-7d2f-43d5-a55f-43429ba8b894

and nothing. I have to move on to other things today but this is not fixed or fun. I had to pause all migrations untill this is fixed.

• Marked as answer by 2103 Tuesday, April 19, 2011 4:44 PM
    Monday, April 18, 2011 1:32 PM
  • any update on this ticket
    Regards Malli Boppe
    Monday, January 09, 2012 11:51 PM