Calendar appointments move by 5 hours (or whatever the TZOffset is) - ActiveSync issue? RRS feed

• Question

• I know there is a similar thread in the Outlook forum, but I wanted to post this here as well in case any Exchange/ActiveSync gurus have any ideas....

Here is the thread in the Outlook forum: Recurring Calendar Appointment shifted 6 hours later in Outlook 2010 (maybe ActiveSync)

I and a couple of my colleagues are experiencing this. I'm wondering if anyone here has any ideas. The issue seems to be limited to Windows 7, Outlook 2010, and possibly Android OS 2.3.4 utilizing ActiveSync with Exchange 2007. There seems to be no particular rhyme or reason as to which appointments move, except for the possibility of it being limited to recurring appointments.

See this link for some more detail....

http://community.htc.com/na/htc-forums/android/f/124/p/15630/65572.aspx

based on the thread above, and what I've experienced, I'm willing to bet that the reason for the 5 hour shift forward has to do with the fact that all of my users are in the Eastern Time Zone (UTC-05:00). For impacted users in other time zones, I would be interested to see if their appointments move forward relative to their UTC offset. (Example - Pacific Time Zone is UTC-08:00, so I'm curious to know if impacted users in PST, have an appointment jump 8 hours ahead.

Thanks,

Jonathan

• Edited by Jonathan Raper Wednesday, April 18, 2012 1:03 PM spelling error
    Wednesday, April 18, 2012 12:44 PM

All replies

• In my seventeen-odd years of doing Exchange peer support, this kind of problem always boils down to the time of day, time zone or DST offset being misconfigured on clients or servers, or due to missing DST hotfixes.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 4:37 PM
  • Hi Ed,

Thank you for the response; I really appreciate your time.

I can certainly see how your experience would lead you to believe that. However, in this situation, I do not believe that to be the case. All available updates via Windows update have been applied to the clients and the server in question. (I administer the Exchange 2007 Server as well - one of them anyway). I will admit that we are running Exchange 2007 SP2, and that is for a reason that is beyond my control. We are presently in the process of migrating to Exchange 2010, and that environment is already up and running with SP2. We're just not quite ready to migrate mailboxes yet. I digress....

My Windows 7 client is set to (UTC-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada), with the setting to Automatically adjust clock for DST checked.

My Outlook 2010 Client is configured in the Calendar under Time Zones to (UTC-0:500) Eastern Time (US & Canada).

When I attempted to install the latest DST update from Microsoft (December 2011) I got the following, "Update for Windows (KB2633952) is already installed on this computer.

In reviewing the updates for my Exchange Server, Update for Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition (KB2633952) was successfully installed on that server on December 21st. The Time Zone is set to (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada), and the "Automatically adjust clock for daylight saving changes" is checked.

So, with that, I do not believe this is a DST update or misconfiguration issue. Did you have an opportunity to review the thread content for the URLs I provided in my original post? In the first URL I listed, the OP went through hoops to verify Time Zone Updates and Time Zone configuration. Alas, that was not the cause of his issue, and it is still as yet unresolved, other than him changing to a 3rd party email client on his Android phone.

Again, thank you for taking the time.

Regards,

Jonathan

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 6:11 PM
  • Honestly, more times than I can count people have denied what I said, only to find out that indeed it was the case.  All calendar information is stored in UTC, so if a client was misconfigured when the item was created, the item will be wrong forever.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 7:50 PM
  • I completely understand your perspective. Tell me what you think about this:

When the appointment was created by the meeting organizer, it was sent out to about 8 people. It showed up in the correct time slot on my calendar and everyone else's. Then, sometime within the last two weeks, the appointment on MY Outlook calendar shifted forward by 5 hours (which lines up with the offset for my time zone). In OWA, and on my phone, and on the meeting organizer's calendar, OWA, and phone, the time is correct.

Regards,

Jonathan

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 8:30 PM
  • Sorry, I don't have an answer for that except that maybe you changed your time zone on your computer or in your mailbox's settings (in OWA).

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 10:08 PM
  • I can assure you - I did not change any of my time or timezone settings in Outlook, OWA, or on my laptop. My mobile phone timezone is controlled by the Verizon network, and it is correct as well. For kicks, I also verified that the timezone on my Gmail Calendar was set correctly as well. The only time I mess with those are when I am doing a new system build, and I have to change from the default of Pacific Time during setup, to Eastern Time (UTC-0:500). From there, our AD takes over.

Jonathan

Thursday, April 19, 2012 12:44 PM
  • Status Update, and recommended next steps:

I opened a ticket with HTC support the day before yesterday (Ticket # 03543601). The initial response was an email reply with the typical level one suggestion to remove and re-add the Exchange ActiveSync account on my phone, and if that didn't resolve the issue to do a hard reset and then add the account again. Since I have multiple users experiencing this same issue, where the common denominator seems to be centralized around the move from Outlook 2007 to 2010 and the HTC Gingerbread OS, I convinced them that this would not be an acceptable remedy, and my case was immediately escalated without hesitation. I will say that though I don't have a resolution, I'll applaud HTC for not giving me the runaround and giving me a live person who could talk intelligently about the issue.

Today, I received a phone call back on this ticket  from someone in the escalations department at HTC named Travis. After explaining the issue in detail to him and referencing this specific thread, he acknowledged that it did in fact sound like a coding issue coming from the device where the value in the “dispidApptTZDefStartDisplay” property was being set improperly by the device/stock email/calendar application in their implementation of ActiveSync. He then stated that he would relay this to the developers to look into the issue. He further elaborated that the case would either be in a status of, "this is being looked into", or "We believe this to be resolved in [x] update". He said that they will probably continue releasing updates for the Incredible (I did not specifically ask about the Incredible 2), and while the Incredible 2 is definitely slated to get Ice Cream Sandwich, the Incredible one is still in a classification of, "being evaluated". Personally, I doubt that the Inc 1 will get ICS, but it is possible. From what I have read, the general stance is that phones will be updated for 18 months after release, and the Inc 1 is 24 months old this month (bummer - I REALLY like this phone).

According to Verizon and HTC, these are the phones that will get ICS (or Android 4.0):

Ice Cream Sandwich Coming to Many Verizon Wireless Smartphones

Android 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich Updates

While it is possible that an update will be released for the Incredible 1 to fix this issue, it will likely be months before one is available, so we'll probably have to move to Touchdown for Exchange by NitroDesk in order to resolve this issue....or move to a newer phone with ICS 4.0.

Speaking of which, there is a whole laundry list of issues with Exchange ActiveSync and third-party devices. A number of them are listed in this Microsoft KB article:

Current issues with Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync and third-party devices

Per the article:

Microsoft's recommendation for Android - Upgrade to Android OS 4.0
    Microsoft's recommendation for iPhone/iOS devices - Upgrade to iOS version 5

So, for anyone on Android experiencing this issue (or others listed in the Microsoft KB above), if your phone is likely to get ICS soon, then you may want to hold on and just be vigilant about checking your calendar on OWA. If your phone isn't slated to get ICS or if you can't wait, my recommendation is to get Touchdown for $20. You may still have to delete and re-create appointments that are wrong, but hopefully the issue won't happen any more once you move to Touchdown. And if they do, at least you've got a shot at a more rapid fix with a company like NitroDesk. (no offense HTC).

Good luck. I probably won't post again unless I get notice of a fix for this specific issue or some other significantly useful information.

Jonathan, MCSE

For reference, here are other forums where this same issue has been discussed:

Weird Outlook issue

Calendar appointments move by 5 hours (or whatever the TZOffset is) - ActiveSync issue? (This is the thread that you are presently reading)

Outlook Client recurring appointments time zone / GMT offset problem

Outlook 2010. Recurring meeting time off by 5 hours, what is the problem?

Recurring Calendar Appointment shifted 6 hours later in Outlook 2010 (maybe ActiveSync)

Friday, April 20, 2012 7:42 PM
  • Jonathan, you are not alone! My company is in Pacific time (UTC-8) and I'm in Eastern, along with several cow-orkers. I and at least one of the others have this happen. It's random: only SOME appointments move (maybe one every couple of weeks). I have not been able to nail down the precise sequence, but I also think it's related to my Android (HTC EVO 4G) doing something to one of the appointments. Now, all I ever do with appointments from my phone is dismiss reminders, so you'd think that would suffice, but it's not consistent.

Outlook is 2010 SP1 with all current service; phone is Android 2.4 IIRC (it's downstairs and I'm too lazy to go get it right now). The cow-orker who is seeing the same behavior is also Outlook 2010 SP1 and Android, not sure what version.

Ed, I of course do change my timezone to Pacific when I visit HQ -- but it has never happened around those changes. It just happens at random. When it's wrong, I can open an occurrence and it still says it's UTC-8, but opening the series and saving it doesn't help.

If I get the meeting organizer to resend the meeting notice, it fixes itself before I even open the received notice. I guess that makes sense, but it's still odd.

Meanwhile, I've missed a few meetings, because they showed up at (say) 10PM instead of 2PM. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing...

I'll be watching this thread, and looking for clues elsewhere.

I will also find out what Exchange level we're at, in case that's relevant.

Friday, June 1, 2012 2:51 AM
  • Not sure if you got this resolved - but i ran into a similar issue just recently.  For me the issue appeared to be in Outlook 2007.  When i edited a re-occuring appointment and clicked on re-occurence - its there that i saw the wrong time zone listed.  It was the right -5  but wrong location.  In my case -5 bogata and not -5 Eastern Canada.

I have to now edit all the reoccuring  appointment's timezone but its only a hand full of events.

Hope that helps.

Monday, September 10, 2012 7:22 PM
  • Hi Jonathan,

I experienced this issue today. I had an HTC Wildfire (Android) that after doing a hard refresh (wipe) and configuring Active Sync to our Exchange 2010 environment the calendar items were all out (by about 12 hours).

The time and timezone settings were all correct.

I completed two tasks to fix the issue:

• Had the user log into Outlook Web Access - it was their first time logging in and they needed to specify a timezone. If it is not your users first time you should check the timezone is correct in the 'Options' page.
    • From the Android mobile phone open the 'Settings' screen, then the 'Location'. Click on 'Reinstall' then the 'Reinstall' button.

I would love to hear if these two tasks fix your issue as well.

Regards,

Ovann86

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 5:37 AM
  • I have recently started to have the same issue and I can't understand why. No settings have been changed and it all used to run perfectly.

The following seems to have fixed it.

Try having a closer look at the timezone settings on your smart phone, make sure they are specific to your city not just your state and also look for an option to "lock time zone" & enable it.

Hope this works, for both our sakes haha

good luck!

Monday, December 17, 2012 4:59 AM