none
Shared Calendar prompts for credentials RRS feed

• Question

• A full hybrid was recently set up on exchange 2013. When some mailboxes were moved to the cloud after the hybrid was set up, there was an issue of viewing free / busy information for the user that was moved to O365. MS support asked that the autodiscover be pointed to O365 instead of on-prem (only a couple of users in O365 and rest are on premise). When that was done the free / busy was visible for the user in cloud. However, right after the move some users that had the mapped the cloud user's calendar to their outlook received an error that the admin had made some changes which required restart of outlook. Thereafter, it has been prompting them for credential whenever they try to access their calendar (which also contains the mapped calendar of the cloud user). Also, one of the users on premise that have the cloud user's calendar mapped is not able to view the on-premise users calendars anymore. The user had a few users' calendar listed under shared whose contents were visible. However, that is not the case anymore.

Any insight would be appreciated! 

Friday, November 1, 2019 4:17 PM

Answers

• A full hybrid was recently set up on exchange 2013. When some mailboxes were moved to the cloud after the hybrid was set up, there was an issue of viewing free / busy information for the user that was moved to O365. MS support asked that the autodiscover be pointed to O365 instead of on-prem (only a couple of users in O365 and rest are on premise). When that was done the free / busy was visible for the user in cloud. However, right after the move some users that had the mapped the cloud user's calendar to their outlook received an error that the admin had made some changes which required restart of outlook. Thereafter, it has been prompting them for credential whenever they try to access their calendar (which also contains the mapped calendar of the cloud user). Also, one of the users on premise that have the cloud user's calendar mapped is not able to view the on-premise users calendars anymore. The user had a few users' calendar listed under shared whose contents were visible. However, that is not the case anymore.

As long as you are in hybrid and you have mailboxes on-prem, autodiscover has to point to the on-Prem Exchange Servers, not to Office 365. 

Changing autodiscover to 365 was the wrong solution and I am suprised they told you that.

Friday, November 1, 2019 5:31 PM

As long as you are in hybrid and you have mailboxes on-prem, autodiscover has to point to the on-Prem Exchange Servers, not to Office 365. 

Changing autodiscover to 365 was the wrong solution and I am suprised they told you that.

Upgrading office / outlook to 2019 fixed the prompt issue.
    Wednesday, November 20, 2019 9:56 PM

All replies

Friday, November 1, 2019 5:31 PM
  • Hi HuckleberryFinn,

Agree with Andy, Autodiscover must point to the on-premises Exchange.

When the server processes the request, it'll see that the mailbox is in the cloud and redirect Autodiscover to the proper cloud URL.  The cloud will not redirect Autodiscover back to on-premises.

You can also refer to the following link:

Office 365 Exchange Hybrid Deployments Busting The Autodiscover Myth

Regards,

Joyce Shen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 4, 2019 6:25 AM
  • So, I was told by the email administrator that the external dns has autodiscover point to O365 and the internal dns to point to the on-prem exchange server. 

I still get prompts when trying to open a shared calendar whether it be on premise or in the cloud. I have to enter two sets of credentials (username@internaldomainupn and username@externalroutabledomain.com) and have the "remember credentials" box checked. This happened after a user whose shared calendar happens to be in my list of calendars got moved to the cloud. 

Monday, November 4, 2019 3:11 PM
  • Hi Andy,

The external autodiscover is set to point to O365 and the internal to on prem exchange. I wanted to know why that would cause my outlook to constantly bug me for credentials which are actually saved under credentials manager. Would this be related to the autodiscover? Some users who had the O365 test user's calendar linked in their shared calendar list got those issues. Apparently, it went away for them except for me. 

thank you.

Tuesday, November 5, 2019 5:01 PM
  • Hi,

According to your description above, only you in your environment have the prompt issue currently?

Have you tried clearing the credential manager or recreating a profile?

In addition, a related case here introduced the AutoDiscover Configuration for a Hybrid exchange 2013 setup

Regards,

Joyce Shen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 8, 2019 9:44 AM
  • Turns out all of the users that had the cloud user's calendar linked to their were prompted. When they upgraded to outlook 2019 it stopped for them. 

I am still on 2016. Tried the registry hack as mentioned in this article https://kb.intermedia.net/Article/39713 and also recreated the autodiscover file as mentioned in option 2 of the article. I have cleared the credentials multiple times. 

Friday, November 8, 2019 10:26 PM

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 9:56 PM
  • Thanks for sharing the solution!

A brief summary of this post so that other forum members could easily find useful information here:

[Shared Calendar prompts for credentials - summary]

Issue Symptom:
    When some mailboxes were moved from Exchange 2013 to the cloud after the hybrid was set up, point the autodiscover to O365, free / busy was visible for the users in cloud.
    However, right after the move some users that had the mapped the cloud user's calendar to their outlook received an error that the admin had made some changes which required restart of outlook. Thereafter, it has been prompting them for credential whenever they try to access their calendar.

Solution:

Thursday, November 21, 2019 7:25 AM