none
Event 9042 and 9025 after restoring mailbox database from another Exchange Organization RRS feed

• Question

• I have mounted a database from another Exchange organization (but the DN name is the same, so it mounts fine) on my server however no mailboxes are shown in the Mailboxes or Disconnected Mailboxes views of EMC. I get these events in the Application log on the server:

Event 9042, Source: MSExchange Assistants:

Service MSExchangeMailboxAssistants. Managed Folder Mailbox Assistant for database Mailbox Database (a2d2c4ea-ed2b-492e-861c-fcbe3849b921) is exiting a work cycle. No mailboxes were successfully processed. 1 mailboxes were skipped due to errors. There are 5 mailboxes in this database.

Event 9025, Source: MSExchange Assistants:

Service MSExchangeMailboxAssistants. Managed Folder Mailbox Assistant skipped 1 mailboxes on database Mailbox Database (a2d2c4ea-ed2b-492e-861c-fcbe3849b921). Mailboxes:
    Administrator(500a8071-cfe5-42c9-93e5-3e463d6c611c)

There are other associated events in the log, but they all describe the same problem, but provide no hint as to how to solve it.

What do I need to do to get my mailboxes back?

Friday, January 28, 2011 2:30 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the link, but I think I've already sorted the problem. I'll hang on to it for future reference.

Here's how I solved it:

When I opened EMC the Mailbox and Disconnected Mailbox views were both empty, so I started playing around with the Exchange PowerShell. I thought I'd try the Get-Mailbox command to see if anything came up, and to my surprise, it did.

It listed all of the mailboxes in the database, but with this error message underneath each one:

"WARNING: The object XXX has been corrupted, and it's in an inconsistent state.
    WARNING: Database is mandatory on UserMailbox.
    WARNING: Database is mandatory on UserMailbox." (the second line was repeated).

I ran Clean-MailboxDatabase and Disable-Mailbox for all of the listed mailbox. After that they began to reappear in the Disconnected Mailboxes view in EMC. After that it was a simple matter of reconnecting the mailboxes.

Email is now back online.

• Marked as answer by emma.yoyo Thursday, February 3, 2011 7:22 AM
    Friday, January 28, 2011 10:47 PM

All replies

1. It's the same Active Directory. I had an Exchange server that died, but I was able to retain the Mailbox database. I tried running a recovery-reinstallation that but that failed and left the server in a bad state. I deleted the Exchange Organisation from Active Directory (via AdsiEdit) and re-installed Exchange. The users in AD remain unchanged.
    2. 2010 SP1
    3. I'm wanting Exchange to recognise the mailboxes within the database and to allow me to re-bind them to users in the directory
    4. I'm not willing to trust any third-party products at this time.
    Friday, January 28, 2011 10:05 PM
  • Did you follow this article in detail? http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd876926.aspx  I would retrace your steps to ensure nothing was overlooked
    Troy Werelius
    www.Lucid8.com
    Friday, January 28, 2011 10:27 PM
  • Thanks for the link, but I think I've already sorted the problem. I'll hang on to it for future reference.

Here's how I solved it:

When I opened EMC the Mailbox and Disconnected Mailbox views were both empty, so I started playing around with the Exchange PowerShell. I thought I'd try the Get-Mailbox command to see if anything came up, and to my surprise, it did.

It listed all of the mailboxes in the database, but with this error message underneath each one:

"WARNING: The object XXX has been corrupted, and it's in an inconsistent state.
    WARNING: Database is mandatory on UserMailbox.
    WARNING: Database is mandatory on UserMailbox." (the second line was repeated).

I ran Clean-MailboxDatabase and Disable-Mailbox for all of the listed mailbox. After that they began to reappear in the Disconnected Mailboxes view in EMC. After that it was a simple matter of reconnecting the mailboxes.

Email is now back online.

• Marked as answer by emma.yoyo Thursday, February 3, 2011 7:22 AM
    Friday, January 28, 2011 10:47 PM
  • =================================================
    Log Name:      Application
    Source:        MSExchange Assistants
    Date:          30-03-2016 05:56:29
    Event ID:      9042
    Task Category: Assistants
    Level:         Warning
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      AMAILY.silkeborg.local
    Description:
    Service MSExchangeMailboxAssistants. Calendar Sync Assistant for database Mailbox Database DBXX (2af74fc9-ff18-4702-bf4e-bb6de90d84bc) is exiting a work cycle. No mailboxes were successfully processed. 1 mailboxes were skipped due to errors. There are 0 mailboxes in this database.
    =================================================
    Log Name:      Application
    Source:        MSExchange Assistants
    Date:          30-03-2016 05:56:29
    Event ID:      9025
    Task Category: Assistants
    Level:         Information
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      AMAILY.silkeborg.local
    Description:
    Service MSExchangeMailboxAssistants. Calendar Sync Assistant skipped 1 mailboxes on database Mailbox Database DBXX (2af74fc9-ff18-4702-bf4e-bb6de90d84bc). Mailboxes:
    Fru Dahl(e3f90749-5243-4925-93bc-3330d79929f8)
    =================================================
    See:
    Remove-Mailbox: https - technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa995948(v=exchg.141).aspx
    Use the Database and StoreMailboxIdentity parameters to remove a mailbox object from the Exchange database. In this case, the mailbox object has already been disconnected from the user. For example, if you run the Disable-Mailbox cmdlet, the Exchange mailbox object still exists, but is disconnected from the Active Directory user object. You can use the Database and StoreMailboxIdentity parameters to remove this disconnected mailbox object.
    See also EXAMPLE 3
    Remove-Mailbox -Database "Mailbox Database DBXX" -StoreMailboxIdentity "e3f90749-5243-4925-93bc-3330d79929f8" -Confirm:$true
    Wednesday, March 30, 2016 12:20 PM