none
An IIS directory entry couldn't be created

Question

• I'm trying to look at my client access configuration on my new Exchange 2010 install.  I'm getting the error "An IIS directory entry couldn't be created.  The error message is Access is denied.  .HResult = -2147027891  It was running the command 'Get-Owa-VirtualDirectory'.

In reading the forums, I see this is usually due to the Exchange Trusted Subsystem group not being a local admin on the server.  However, I have verified that DOMAIN\Exchange Trusted Subystem is in the Server's Administrators group.  What could be the other causes?
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 4:20 PM

Answers

• I have solved this problem.  I had to go into adsiedit and remove references to my TESTSERVER.  After rebooting the EX server, the references to TESTSERVER are gone, and I can see the properties of my virtual directories.
    • Marked as answer by JMorrisws Friday, February 26, 2010 7:09 PM
    Friday, February 26, 2010 7:09 PM

All replies

• Thank You for your post here 

Do you have exchnage 2007 Servers in your organization.

If Yes than

Could you please  add the security group “Exchange Trusted Subsystem” as member of Local Administrators group on an ALL Exchange Server 2007 boxes.

Do Update me back on the issue.
    Looking forward to your reply
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 6:17 PM
  • I have no other exchange servers in the organization.  This is a brand new install.  I initially installed on a machine named MAIL, but I removed that machine and installed on another machine named EX.  MAIL still shows up in my Exchange organization however.  That's the only other Exchange server ever installed here.
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 10:42 PM
  • Thank you for your patience

From your problem description, I understand that when running the Get-OwaVirtualDirectory cmdlet on Exchange 2010 server, the following error message occurred:

"An IIS directory entry couldn't be created.  The error message is Access is denied."

Also, you checked that the Exchange Trusted Subsystem group belongs to the server's Administrators group.

If my understanding is not correct, please feel free to let me know.

Before we go further, I would appreciate your help in clarifying the following situations:

1. How many Exchange 2010 servers have been installed in the organization?

2. What roles are installed on each Exchange 2010 server?

3. Is Exchange 2010 server installed on the member server or the domain controller?

4. Is there any Exchange 2007 server in the organization?

Step 1: If there is any Exchange 2007 server in the organization, we also need to make sure that the Exchange Trusted Subsystem group belongs to the Exchange 2007 server's Administrators group as well. So, please double check whether the Exchange Trusted Subsystem group belongs to the Exchange 2007 server's Administrators group.

Step 2: Please make sure all Exchange 2007 and 2010 server's computer account is a member of the Exchange Trusted Subsystem group. Also, please make the Exchange Trusted Subsystem group is a member of the Exchange Windows Permissions group.

After any change is made, please make sure this change is replicated to all domain controllers with the forest.

After that, please close the Exchange Management Shell and Console and reopen them to verify whether the issue still occurs.

If the issue still occurs, please help collect the following information:

Verbose Information

===============

1. Open Exchange Management Shell.

2. Type the following command and press Enter:

Get-OwaVirtualDirectory -Verbose

When the error returns, please copy them into notepad and send it to me at Fazal2@hotmail.com

Friday, February 26, 2010 9:38 AM
  • I have 1 Exchange 2010 server running in my organization.  I have no other Exchange servers of any version. 

I DID have a machine running the Edge Server role, but have since eliminated that, and I did originally have another 2010 server running in my organization for testing, but that machine has already been reformatted for other testing.  This is the only exchange server I have.

I have verified that Exchange Trusted Subsystem is a member of Exchange Windows Permissions, and I have verified that the Computer Account for the Exchange server is a member of Exchange Trusted Subsystem.

Edit: In looking at the verbose output, the old Exchange 2010 test install is messing things up.  Somehow it is still looking for TESTSERVER/owa.  But TESTSERVER no longer exists.
    Friday, February 26, 2010 12:50 PM
  • I have solved this problem.  I had to go into adsiedit and remove references to my TESTSERVER.  After rebooting the EX server, the references to TESTSERVER are gone, and I can see the properties of my virtual directories.
    • Marked as answer by JMorrisws Friday, February 26, 2010 7:09 PM
    Friday, February 26, 2010 7:09 PM
  • What were the changes made in ADSIedit?

library1
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 9:59 PM
  • Hi all

I could fix this problem when i have mixed environment (Exchange 2007&2010), In Exchange 2007 (Cas-Server) i open Local users and Groups and add DOMAIN\Exchange Trusted Subystem is in the Server's Administrators group.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 2:28 PM
  • Thank you Fazal your answer solved my problem. i got the error after installing a 2010 EX beside my 2007 EX.
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 6:54 AM

Can anyone shed some extra light on this? This is hardly a clear resolution to this problem which I am also facing in an exchange 2003/2010 coexisting upgrade configuration we are currently working on.

Remove references to TESTSERVER where? And what was TESTSERVER, a legacy exchange machine?

Any help on decoding this "answer" would be great, thank you.

Friday, October 15, 2010 7:54 PM
  • Hi

I'm trying to look at my client access configuration on my new Exchange 2010 install.  I'm getting the error "An IIS directory entry couldn't be created.  The error message is Access is denied.  .HResult = -2147027891  It was running the command 'Get-Owa-VirtualDirectory'.

I have exchnage 2007 Servers in my organization.

type this command in Exchange Management Shell

Get-OwaVirtualDirectory and get this error.

An IIS directory entry couldn't be created. The error message is Access is denied.
    . HResult = -2147024891
        + CategoryInfo          : NotInstalled: (EMAIL\owa (Default Web Site):ADObjectId) [Get-OwaVirtualDirectory], IISGe
       neralCOMException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : 4BB86EF1,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.SystemConfigurationTasks.GetOwaVirtualDirectory

Sunday, January 20, 2013 12:48 PM