Restore Exchange 2003 database to exchange 2010 using backup exec 2010

General discussion

• Hi, 

I need to restore exchange 2003 database using backup exec 2010 server into Exchange 2010 server. 

The exchange 2003 server is long gone but i need to restore its database from backup exec to exchange 2010. 

How could i do this any one help please. 

soft kitty 

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 1:38 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This is really a Symantec specific product question. I'm not aware of a way to perform this from within BackupExec, I would highly suggest you forward the question through to the Symantec community on the Symantec Connect website:

MCITP Ent. Messaging | MCTS | MCSA | MCP (blog)

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 6:44 AM
  • Hi

It isn't possible to restore databases across different versions of Exchange so you would need to either resurrect your 2003 server or get Symantec to restore the just EDB file and use a 3rd party tool (not cheap unfortunately) to recover the data.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 7:04 AM
  • Steve and Troy have nailed it.  Troy's suggestions are absolutely correct.

Lenora Moss Technical Support Engineer, SMB Partner Support, Symantec Corporation

• Edited by LMosla Thursday, August 01, 2013 8:09 PM
    Thursday, August 01, 2013 8:08 PM
  • thanks troy for the response. 

I have check but the backups are not GRT or non-GRT snapshot. 

Friday, August 02, 2013 1:19 AM
  • Kitty, the backups do not need to a GRT backup, you just need a good database backup and if you follow the instructions it will just recover the database files to disk.  Once those database files are on disk you can use DigiScope to open the database to get to all the mailboxes, folders and individual items

Search, Recover, & Extract Mailboxes, Folders, & Email Items from Offline Exchange Mailbox and Public Folder EDB's and Live Exchange Servers or Import/Migrate direct from Offline EDB to Any Production Exchange Server, even cross version i.e. 2003 --> 2007 --> 2010 --> 2013 with Lucid8's DigiScope

Friday, August 02, 2013 3:08 AM