Multiple databases on DAG member RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've been looking around on howto setup a DAG and I've noticed that most of them shows a picture of the DAG where each member in the DAG has 3 or more databases. Why is that? Why do you have multiple databases on one server? Do you spread the mailboxes out on different databases?

I was thinking of setting up a 2 server DAG to begin with and at the moment I was only thinking about having 1 database on each server, but maybe I have to rethink some stuff?

Are those databases spread out on different drives too?

Would it be wise to run a 2 server DAG with one database on each server or should I do something else?

Thanks for any info!

-Patric

Friday, September 30, 2011 1:23 PM

Answers

• hey Patricyou answered your queries your self... ok lets start..

1. Do you spread the mailboxes out on different databases?

Answer : Yes, Each database can be on different disk as well..and why to spread is if you have single database and you filling all the mails in one DB then recovery in case of any failure .. and query or search will be slow and cumbersome.You make multiple DBs on DAG.. the function of DAG is to give replication (Copies) between the DBs.

Try to make small DBs but not very small.. also depends upon wheta kind of disks and servers u have.

2. Would it be wise to run a 2 server DAG with one database on each server or should I do something else?

Answer : i am doing the same, and for a small to medium setup it is good. as you grow you increase the MBX servers. i would suggest to properly understand and implement this you follow the below

a) http://www.yusufozturk.info/exchange-server/hosted-exchange-2010-sp1-configuration-tool.html

b) http://www.yusufozturk.info/exchange-server/hosted-exchange-2010-setup-guide-part-1.html

Hope this answers your queries, let me knw if i can help. mark answerd/useful

Thanks
    Happiness Always
    Jatin
    • Proposed as answer by 'Jatin' Friday, September 30, 2011 4:35 PM
    • Marked as answer by PatricF Monday, October 3, 2011 8:45 AM
    Friday, September 30, 2011 4:35 PM

All replies

• hey Patricyou answered your queries your self... ok lets start..

1. Do you spread the mailboxes out on different databases?

Answer : Yes, Each database can be on different disk as well..and why to spread is if you have single database and you filling all the mails in one DB then recovery in case of any failure .. and query or search will be slow and cumbersome.You make multiple DBs on DAG.. the function of DAG is to give replication (Copies) between the DBs.

Try to make small DBs but not very small.. also depends upon wheta kind of disks and servers u have.

2. Would it be wise to run a 2 server DAG with one database on each server or should I do something else?

Answer : i am doing the same, and for a small to medium setup it is good. as you grow you increase the MBX servers. i would suggest to properly understand and implement this you follow the below

a) http://www.yusufozturk.info/exchange-server/hosted-exchange-2010-sp1-configuration-tool.html

b) http://www.yusufozturk.info/exchange-server/hosted-exchange-2010-setup-guide-part-1.html

Hope this answers your queries, let me knw if i can help. mark answerd/useful

Thanks
    Happiness Always
    Jatin
    • Proposed as answer by 'Jatin' Friday, September 30, 2011 4:35 PM
    • Marked as answer by PatricF Monday, October 3, 2011 8:45 AM
    Friday, September 30, 2011 4:35 PM
  • Thanks for clearing that out for me, it helped a lot!
    Monday, October 3, 2011 8:46 AM
  • Just thought of something. Is there someway to distribute the mailboxes evenly out through the databases or do I have to do that manually when I create new mailboxes?
    • Proposed as answer by 'Jatin' Tuesday, October 4, 2011 8:56 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by 'Jatin' Tuesday, October 4, 2011 8:56 AM
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 8:51 AM
  • Just thought of something. Is there someway to distribute the mailboxes evenly out through the databases or do I have to do that manually when I create new mailboxes?

Sorry marked by mistake .. ok about distributing the mail boxes its total ur decision how u want to dot he same. At times u will have this kind of possibility also where in u have different kind of storages (fast and slow) and u want to put ur few clients on fast storage and few on slow. u can create and move them when in required

hope this answers. Please mark usefull if this helped

Thanks
    Happiness Always
    Jatin
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 8:58 AM