none
Text Messaging Features and Control

Question

• Hi,

I've got a functional Co-existing deployment of EX2010/07 and I am about to begin migrating users to 2010.  Before I do that I have been asked to prohibit users from syncing text messages from their mobile devices.  Some rabble about not wanting worthless chit chat stored in exchange :)  I ahve searched trhough the Exchange technet through the entire Activesync Sections and CAS section and I do not see anything that mentions controlling this aspect.  Nothing in the EAS policies in the Console either.

I'm also curious about the text message notifications from OWA and how those bad boys work and are controlled.

If anyone can point me towards some docs on these topics I would be most grateful.

Thanks!

Aaron

Sunday, April 25, 2010 1:57 AM

All replies

• Hi Aron,

On the "Web App Mailbox Policy" you can Enable or Disable "Text Messaging". Have you tried that?

Regards Andres

-- MCSE 2003 MCSA 2003 Messaging MCITP: Enterpise Administrator MCTS: Windows Server 2008 MCTS: Exchange Server 2007 Configuration MCTS: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 VCP - VMWare Certified Professional
    Sunday, April 25, 2010 12:52 PM
  • Andres,

Thank you for the tip, it pointed me in a good direction.  I did find that you can manage the segmentation globally as well as per policy if you go to the outlook web app virtual directory in the server confg section of EMC.

Unfortunately, this only stops text messaging and configuring text notifications in web app, I can still configure a device to sync text messages. 

Sunday, April 25, 2010 2:09 PM
  • Per my knowledge, you can disable the ActiveSync feature on the users’ mailboxes, and then re-enable the feature after the migration. Please run the old exchange server for a while before decommission it, so that the re-enabled mobiles are able to point their exchange server to the new exchange 2010 server by using AutoDiscover feature

Phones running Windows Mobile 6.1 or a later version are supported. If your phone isn't a Windows Mobile phone, check your mobile phone documentation to see if it's supported

----------Refer to <Understanding the Autodiscover Service>

How to Enable or Disable Exchange ActiveSync for a Mailbox User

James Luo
    TechNet Subscriber Support (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/ms788697.aspx)
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 8:05 AM
  • James,

I am not having any problems migrating users or having Activesync working.  I want to prevent the Text Message portion of Active Sync.  The rest I want to leave unchanged.

Thanks,

Aaron

• Edited by Aaron R Ellis Wednesday, April 28, 2010 3:23 PM spelling
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 1:20 PM
  • The only parameter that I found to control the “Text Messaging” is “AllowTextMessaging” parameter in the Set-ActiveSyncMailboxPolicy cmdlet

James Luo
    TechNet Subscriber Support (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/ms788697.aspx)
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
    Friday, April 30, 2010 6:34 AM