Ability to dial an extension directly from dtmf Auto Attendent? RRS feed

• Question

• I think i know the answer but want to make sure there is no creative workaround I'm missing. ;-)

Is there anyway to get the ability to dial an extension (at any time) directly from dtmf Auto Attendent? (without pressing ##)

http://windowspbx.blogspot.com
    Monday, September 12, 2011 3:04 PM

Answers

All replies

• I've found in our setup that if the AA is speech enabled, you can dial an extension at any time and the call will be transferred. If the AA is NOT speech enabled, then the AA requires the # to allow the user to enter the extension. Note: Our AA's are integrated with Lync Server 2010 and the Exchange UM dial plans are thus configured for SIP. Our environment is also only utilizing Exchange 2010 SP1.
    Trevor
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 4:15 PM
  • Ah, i need to check that.

I thought on ours if AA is speech enabled then DTMF doesn't work? pretty sure, but i can check.

+Say thanks and observe basic forum courtesy:
    +If this post answered your question, Mark As Answer
    +If this post was helpful, Vote as Helpful

windowspbx blog: my thots/howtos
    see/submit Lync suggestions here: simple and public
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 5:39 PM
  • I can confirm on our Exchange UM setup, speech enabled AA's can accept DTMF inputs when the caller hits the auto-attendant. I think the only extra thing I had to do was create a dial rule group for our extensions and allow the auto attendant to utilze that dial rule group: Name - Extensions Number mask - 5xxx Dialed number - 5xxx I then had to make sure the Lync front ends had appropriate normalization rules to normalize the 5xxx to the correct lineuri format (e.g.: 5xxx to +1309xxxxxx;ext=5xxx). Aside from that, I can also confirm that this works even if the destination extension is NOT enabled on Lync or has an Exchange UM mailbox. In that case, the call gets forwarded outside the Lync environment to your gateway for routing to wherever the gateway route rules indicate it should go.
    Trevor
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 9:01 PM
  • Matt, there is such a way. We have disabled Key Mappings, Directory Search and Speech Enabled Auto-Attendant. Now we here "Thank you for calling Exchange AA. Dial the extension....".
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 3:49 PM
  • i am aware if everything else is desabled it works, but, ahem, an autoattendant should let you have options.... ;-)

Thursday, February 2, 2012 4:03 PM
  • Hi rovert506,

Can you please provide a step by step on how you achiechied this coz with speech enabled my AA is not taking DMTF keys.Which SP are you on.Im on Exchange 2007 SP2.

Thanks

Donald Ambrose

Monday, March 12, 2012 12:01 PM
  • I've found that when you have it on DTMF it will seach for the person my last name rather than extension.  How can we get it to do the same as the speech enabled AA?

Thursday, July 5, 2012 2:46 PM
  • Unfortunately you can't.  If the AA is not speech enabled then the caller has to hit the # key to enter an extension rather than do a directory lookup (assuming directory lookups are enabled in your AA).
    Friday, July 6, 2012 7:15 PM
  • This needs to stay alive for the exchange team to realize that this is a major deficiency.  I am not sure how hard it would be for them to put in an interdigit timeout, but most of the implementations I have done are requesting to be able to use the Key Mapping feature as well as extension dialing.
    Friday, August 24, 2012 1:00 PM
  • To answer my own question a year and a half later:
    -setup an auto attendant with no keymappings as the fallback AA for auto attendant with speech keymappings.

details here:
    http://windowspbx.blogspot.com/2013/04/how-to-achieve-dial-by-extension-with.html

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 5:32 PM
  • Alright, have put some more research and have written an article that covers all the options I can think of:

http://windowspbx.blogspot.com/2013/04/how-to-achieve-dial-by-extension-with.html

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 8:59 PM