none
Purge - Recoverable Items \ RecoverableitemsRoot

Question

• Exchange 2010 SP1 (v14.1 build 218.15) on Server 2008 R2. We use a DAG here. I was moving his mailbox and saw that the recoverable items was at 2.8GB.

I  have since set his deleted items retention to 0. 

When I get his statistics I still see 2.8 GB in RecoverableItemsRoot.

I then did the CalendarVersionStoreDisabled:$true command. Ran the Folder assistant. Stilll 2.8 GB in there.

What am I missing? I need to flush this out.  We do not have any legal hold enabled anywhere. I could really use some guidance.

Friday, November 11, 2011 7:45 PM

Answers

All replies

• http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff678798.aspx

Clean Up the Recoverable Items Folder

• Marked as answer by Frank.Wang Friday, November 18, 2011 1:36 AM
    Friday, November 11, 2011 7:50 PM
  • Thanks. I will take a look at that. Perhaps you can tell me how it gets that big when the database default was 7 days for Dumpster retention? Is this some sort of bug?
    Friday, November 11, 2011 7:53 PM
  • The root folder is a special one:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee364755.aspx

But yea, I think there are some "issues" there. Many have reported similar behavior and I have seen it myself. Are you using any archiving software? Some have reported issues with that as well.

Friday, November 11, 2011 8:05 PM
  • Enterprise Vault. yea I read a little on that but seems like nothing rock solid.
    Friday, November 11, 2011 8:07 PM
  • Enterprise Vault. yea I read a little on that but seems like nothing rock solid.

Yep, I think for now, cleaning up the recoverable items folder is the only choice. ( You could also open a ticket with Microsoft Support to get it on their radar)

Friday, November 11, 2011 8:09 PM
  • One more question on this.  I changed one user who had 2.8 Gb in his RecoverableItemsRoot to CalendarVersionStoreDisabled:$true. I then monitored his size for a few days. It eventually dropped to 1.3 GB, then 500, then 0. This is the fix I am planning to use.

Are there any serious consequences to doing this to users? Seem like its the calendar versioning that is making the difference. I did another test where I ran the CalendarVersionStoreDisabled:$true for one user and set Recoverable items to 0 for another. The CalendarVersionStoreDisabled:$true it what worked.

I read a little and I dont see a real downside. We are using Enterprise Vault and calendar items are archived after 3 months.

Anyone have some feedback?

Friday, November 18, 2011 12:34 PM
  • One more question on this.  I changed one user who had 2.8 Gb in his RecoverableItemsRoot to CalendarVersionStoreDisabled:$true. I then monitored his size for a few days. It eventually dropped to 1.3 GB, then 500, then 0. This is the fix I am planning to use.

Are there any serious consequences to doing this to users? Seem like its the calendar versioning that is making the difference. I did another test where I ran the CalendarVersionStoreDisabled:$true for one user and set Recoverable items to 0 for another. The CalendarVersionStoreDisabled:$true it what worked.

I read a little and I dont see a real downside. We are using Enterprise Vault and calendar items are archived after 3 months.

Anyone have some feedback?

Abit late in the day for feedback but I agree with the above - there seems to be an issue somewhere with either the DB maintenance or the folder assistant in cleaning to these items from the recoverable items folders (inc root).

I found the above true to clean the root, depending on the number of items it can take along time to remove them once 'CalendarVersionStoreDisabled: $true' is set. I also had to manually run the folder assistant on the mailbox to 'force' it to remove the items.

is there a way to test/prove/check that the mailbox folder assistant is running through all the mailboxes and performing its maintenace tasks? - are there events recorded or logs/cmdlets to run?

in my environment (Ex2010 SP1 RU4) we only use default deleted item retetion set on the DB (to 7days) - no records management/policies/tags, and i'm convinced that items within deleted items retention are not being cleared down after the day limit and items in the recoverable items root (ipm.appointments) are not getting cleared down after the 120day limit.

any ideas?

CurbySanPan - Still Learning Exchange

Monday, October 01, 2012 11:12 AM