none
Exchange 2007 on Win 2008SBS two services will not start after Attempted migration to Win 2012

Question

• Hi all,

I did a backup of al this first, but do not wish to go down that path yet of restoring it

I didn't use Win backup as I find it unreliable and no matter what I tried, even though Storage manager found both my External USB drives, it's back up would not find them.

Used a 30 day trial of AOEMI Backupper software for Servers.

http://www.backup-utility.com/free-trial.html

I did a migrate from Win SBS 2008 Stand to Win 2012 Essentials, using it's migration wizard and installing updates and software old system required.

It al seemed to go okay, I know you have 21 days to have both systems on same network.

But I have ran into a snag. Our external hosted email user@domain.com.au.com, which we access via Exchange 2007 which is delivered to our Outlook 2013 program on virtual drive running Win 2012 Data at this stage. after migration would not receive any emails. Pop3 connector service had stopped.

What I also noticed on VM Outlook, I had to log onto my Account on server to get Outlook to load, another user did not.

Checked Event log for error 1053.

Two services for Exchange on 2008 Physical drive are timing out.

Transport edge and 

Even though they are set to auto start and also to start on 1st and 2nd failure, do not start or manually start.

Where can I look at trouble shooting this?

All other Exchange services are running.

I did notice last eve that the Win 2012 domain was listed under Ad on Win 2008 system, I removed it as per instructions MS has about that. In case it was dominating. s Email exchange did work to a degree on last Saturday only when I had new server running Win 2012 Ess on same network. But from Migration instructions on MS site, one can have two domain systems running on same network for 21 days after migration. 

I am not getting any pop3 event errors about this and not sure where services errors get logged.?

Suspect I found problem, Open exchange Manag console "error comes up, "Could not find any Global Catalog in forest when launching Exchange 2007 Management Console "

I just read on MS support

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/exchange/en-US/5e15831d-2177-4afb-86aa-eb5e4920093d/could-not-find-any-global-catalog-in-forest-when-launching-exchange-2007-management-console?forum=exchangesvradminlegacy

to restart these services, Toplogy one started itself and others okay but not the System attendant.

More investigating I shall do.

Thanks

Phil

Snapshots of messages I get form these services.

http://www.pmassociates.com.au/

• Edited by philby12 Tuesday, April 18, 2017 1:47 AM More details
    Monday, April 17, 2017 10:53 PM

All replies

• Hi Philby12,

Windows Server 2012 Essentials does not include Exchange Server as a component product, we do support running Exchange Server on a second server, and we provide a similar integrated mailbox management experience via the Dashboard as we had with Windows Small Business Server (Windows SBS) 2011 Standard.
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/sbs/2012/07/26/email-options-supported-by-windows-server-2012-essentials/

Best Regards,
    Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 2:03 AM
  • Hi Jim and thanks for reply.

Yes aware of how one can set up exchange in Win 2012, can even put it one a virtual server as well, so I read on MS site.

Or one could use Office 365. Still making my mind up which way I go.

But these problems relate to the Exchange 2007 on Windows 2008 SBS server.

I never got that far with 2012 to set up email on it. 

Cheers

Phil

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 2:33 AM
  • Hi philby,

You could put Windows server 2012 into a virtual server. To service not start on Exchange 2007, we suggest you do the following steps to troubleshoot this issue:

1. Make sure Exchange 2007 connect to domain controller without any problems, include Ping and DNS resolve
    2. Double confirm root certificate is under “trusted root certification authorities ”
    3. Try to restart Exchange 2007 out of production time
    4. Check if there are any errors in application log and post them for our troubleshooting 

Best Regards,
    Jim Xu

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 2:48 AM
  • Thanks Jim for reply and help.

I'll give that a go tomorrow.

What annoys me as I said, I have back ups of this and software I used is not finding them, yet the 5 I did before migration I checked intregrerty of them.

Now it only finds the latest one past Migration date.

I have been able to get the data off one of drives using Sofware handy recovery, but it is finding the right image file to restore it to our newer server which I have for time been put 2008 on to test a restore of a back up.

You have any sugegstions of software that would find what I need from these back ups, Windows 2008 was doing back ups every night on two disks until 3 weeks ago, when it just refused to find the two external HP USB 2 drives it had happily used for ages. Even though both were online and active in storage manager.

Here is what I have extracted so far to another drive using that software,

Cheers Phil

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 8:51 AM
  • Hi Phil,

To solve this issue, please give us any updates for this thread as soon as possible.

For any missing data which you backup, please contact the backup vendor to get any help.

Best Regards,
    Jim Xu

Friday, April 21, 2017 2:14 AM