none
Passive copies filling up disk space RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running exchange 2010. We are on version 14.2.247.5. 

The issue right now is I have a database copy set up for DB1 and DB2. The disk space on the passive copies are not synced up accurately with the actual active DB size. 

For example, the actual size of DB1 is 600gb on a 1TB drive. So it has 400gb remaining. The copy of DB1 on sever 2 shows 920GB on a 1TB drive. So it only has 80gb left. I usually have to reboot the server with the passive copy to get it to show the correct DB size. So I don't want to reboot the server just for this. I also know I can possibly kill the copy and redo it and that should resolve it but that will take a while. Any other quick solutions that I can try?

Thanks 

Friday, May 16, 2014 5:47 PM

All replies

• You are running Exchange 2010 SP2 without any updates.  According to Exchange 2010 SP1 and SP2 are no longer supported., this is not supported - and it's very likely that the issue you are seeing is fixed in one of the updates you are missing.  I highly recommend that you update your server ASAP.
    Friday, May 16, 2014 6:30 PM
  • These will be updated soon. I've had this issue several times with different versions. I'm assuming by the reply that there isn't really another solution?
    Friday, May 16, 2014 6:49 PM
  • What happens if you take the copy offline?  Does the size revert to the correct size?  I've never seen the issue you are describing, but I remember something about Exchange 2007 not displaying the correct database size unless the Information Store was stopped. Stopping the database copy may do the same for you, and is simpler than restarting the server.
    Friday, May 16, 2014 7:46 PM
  • I would check the whitespace in database in passive node. You can check it using below articles.

Run the following command to find out the whitespace in your environment.

MailboxDatabase –Status | fl Name, AvailableNewMailboxSpace

If still you see things are OK from white space side then finally i would reboot it.

Anil MCC 2011,ITIL V3,MCSA 2003,MCTS 2010, My Blog : http://messagingschool.wordpress.com

Sunday, May 18, 2014 10:12 AM
  • Hi,

I recommend you reseed this mailbox database copy to check the result. Before reseeding, please suspend the database copy. Here is an article for your reference.

Update a Mailbox Database Copy
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/dd351100(v=exchg.141).aspx

Best regards,
    Belinda

Belinda Ma
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, May 19, 2014 5:45 AM