none
Exchange 2013 - content index failed, service search host controller doesn't start

Question

• Hi there,

I have a problem with Exchange 2013 CU2, after update KB2874216 completely stopped searching. This problem is known: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2879739, but it didn't resolve my issue.

Service Microsoft Exchange Search Host Controller doesn't start (Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly), in event log:

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Application Error
    Event ID:      1000
    Task Category: (100)
    Level:         Error
    Description:
    Faulting application name: hostcontrollerservice.exe, version: 15.0.712.0, time stamp: 0x5199c4fd
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.2.9200.16451, time stamp: 0x50988aa6
    Exception code: 0xe0434352
    Fault offset: 0x000000000003811c
    Faulting process id: 0x9dc
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cea81afc9a0b77
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\Bin\Search\Ceres\HostController\hostcontrollerservice.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
    Report Id: 3aacf188-140e-11e3-9410-005056bc7c05
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

And it's all. Database status:

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-MailboxDatabaseCopyStatus | fl 'Content*'
    ContentIndexState            : Failed
    ContentIndexErrorMessage     : The database has been dismounted.

In register (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Search Foundation for Exchange the DataDirectory field has "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\Bin\Search\Ceres\HostController\Data" value.

Server and database seems to work. Everything works, except this searching. What next should I check/do/repair?

Regards,

Bart

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 6:54 AM

Answers

• Hi,

This issue may occur because of missing “%ExchangeInstallPath%\Bin\Search\Ceres\HostController\Data” folder or child folder and files, which contains configuration files of FAST service.

To resolve the issue follow the below steps.

1. Open Powershell with elevated privilege (Run as Administrator)

2. Navigated to below location.

“%ExchangeInstallPath%\Bin\Search\Ceres\Installer”

3. Run the command.

.\installconfig.ps1 –action I –datafolder “%ExchangeInstallPath%\Bin\Search\Ceres\HostController\Data”

Note:

Use actual path in step 3 instead of variable “%ExchangeInstallPath%"

Thanks,

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsfl@microsoft.com

Simon Wu
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 10:11 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This issue may occur because of missing “%ExchangeInstallPath%\Bin\Search\Ceres\HostController\Data” folder or child folder and files, which contains configuration files of FAST service.

To resolve the issue follow the below steps.

1. Open Powershell with elevated privilege (Run as Administrator)

2. Navigated to below location.

“%ExchangeInstallPath%\Bin\Search\Ceres\Installer”

3. Run the command.

.\installconfig.ps1 –action I –datafolder “%ExchangeInstallPath%\Bin\Search\Ceres\HostController\Data”

Note:

Use actual path in step 3 instead of variable “%ExchangeInstallPath%"

Thanks,

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsfl@microsoft.com

Simon Wu
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 10:11 PM
  • This is an alternate strategy:

cd “$($Env:ExchangeInstallPath\Bin\Search\Ceres\Installer”

.\installconfig.ps1 –action I –datafolder “$($env:ExchangeInstallPath)\Bin\Search\Ceres\HostController\Data

If you get an error from installconfig.ps1 saying that the items already exist in the folder then do this:

.\installconfig.ps1 –action A –datafolder “$($env:ExchangeInstallPath)\Bin\Search\Ceres\HostController\Data

The trick with $($env:ExchangeInstallPath) is so that you can use the environment variable without retyping the path and it is the equivalent to %ExchangeInstallPath% elsewhere.

The -A option will "append", or reuse, the existing data folder.  Doing this will reset the setings. 

IT Coordinator

• Edited by David Moisan Sunday, September 15, 2013 2:33 AM
    • Proposed as answer by David Moisan Sunday, September 15, 2013 2:33 AM
    Sunday, September 15, 2013 2:30 AM