Exchange 2010 Rollup 2 SP3 update cannot find installation package exchangeserver.msi file on SBS 2011... NEED HELP!!! RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am running a windows SBS 2011 standard system and there was currently an update for Exchange 2010 Rollup 2 Service Pack 3 and it keeps failing.  It says that it cannot find the installation package (exchangeserver.msi) and it is looking for it in E:\Software\Exchange2010-SP3-x64\ folder but there never was this folder.  There is only an Exchange2010-SP3-x64.exe file.

The only exchangeserver.msi file that I find on the server any where is in C:\ProgramFiles\Windows Small Business Server\Bin\CMPNENTS\EXCHANGE14_SP1 but it won't accept it (says not authorized for this update or something alike).

Please help.  It is currently causing issues with email.  Some of the features are not working because it says exchange is currently under maintenance.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Friday, August 16, 2013 12:37 PM

Answers

• Right, I now have it updated after a few attempts and can give you the steps for a successful update :-

1. Download Full Microsoft Exchange 2010 SP3 (549mb) from Microsoft Website

2. Once Downloaded Click & extract to a folder called c:\exsp3

3. In services STOP Windows SBS Manager

4. Run Microsoft Update

5. This now works

Gary

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 9:58 AM

All replies

• I'm in the exact same boat... SBS 2011, Exchange 2010 SP3 Rollup 2 update needs exchangeserver.msi.
    Friday, August 16, 2013 1:27 PM
  • Same problem here, just with Exchange server 2010 SP3 Standard installed on the Windows 2008 R2 Standard SP1.

It is looking for installation package exchangeserver.msi on the d:\%USERNAME%\exchangeserverSP3\ folder.

Any suggestion. Thanks

Friday, August 16, 2013 2:42 PM
  • I have an  SBS with a modal dialog looking for exchangeserver.msi on in the desktop folder and no exchange services running !!!! , can I kill it and restart the services or am I stuck????

SBS 2011 Std running exhange 2010 SP3 , doing regular maintainance.

• Edited by alp55 Saturday, August 17, 2013 9:44 AM
    Saturday, August 17, 2013 6:51 AM
  • Can you download sp3 or browse to where you've extracted it before?

Bottom line, you aren't alone.  I know that doesn't make it better, but ...

Don't Retire TechNet

• Proposed as answer by DinoAIM Sunday, August 18, 2013 1:52 AM
    Saturday, August 17, 2013 7:49 AM
  • I think the SP3 folder shouldn't be removed after applied
    • Proposed as answer by alp55 Saturday, August 17, 2013 10:29 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by alp55 Saturday, August 17, 2013 10:30 AM
    Saturday, August 17, 2013 8:16 AM
  • Thanks to the above suggestions....

I extracted the Exchange2010-SP3-x64.exe to a tempory directory then could find the exchangeserver.msi and point the dialog at it.   update then completed successfully. Post reboot , all seems Ok.

Saturday, August 17, 2013 10:50 AM
  • Susan you are correct:  After I installed Exchange 2010 SP3, I deleted the msi just to "clean up' my hard disk...  While trying to install Rollup 2 for SP3, the installer is trying to find it.  I downloaded the installer, used 7-zip to get the msi and I pointed the installer to it when asked.

The installation failed 3 times... 

NOTE: I was using WSUS to install the Rollup:  I downloaded the Rollup installer and I executed:  I could see where the installer was hanging up!  First it asked me to stop an SBS service and something else (sorry I do not remember), I stopped the services and installation continued.  Then it asked me for more files from the SP3 installation which I found on the installation folder that I created with 7-zip.  I copied to the path that the installer was looking and installation finished (finally!)...

NOTE 2:  If you have any firewall appliance that denies Internet access to un-authenticated requests, you better turn that rule off because the installer accesses the internet (not sure why - probably for Dot Net assemblies)...

Susan THANKS for all your help to the community!  You have helped so much! 

All the Best

Constantine

Sunday, August 18, 2013 1:49 AM
  • Getting this same error, I installed it from my desktop to manually upgrade then updates via WSUS fail and downloading and running the MSP manually has the same error too.

I'll have to re-download Exchange SP3 I guess.  I hope I don't get this on every future update either...  Any comment from MS?

Monday, August 19, 2013 8:06 AM
  • In the same boat as most. I am re-downloading SP3 in full to see if I can find the file Susan is talking about as I unzipped the update and it is not in there, so I am assuming it is in the full sp3 download.

keeps trying to locate exsp3\exchangeserver.msi on Windows update then fails.I am currently downloading it now and will post back tomorrow on any joy.Gary

• Proposed as answer by Garycpos Tuesday, August 20, 2013 9:54 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Garycpos Tuesday, August 20, 2013 9:54 AM
    Monday, August 19, 2013 3:37 PM
  • Right, I now have it updated after a few attempts and can give you the steps for a successful update :-

1. Download Full Microsoft Exchange 2010 SP3 (549mb) from Microsoft Website

2. Once Downloaded Click & extract to a folder called c:\exsp3

3. In services STOP Windows SBS Manager

4. Run Microsoft Update

5. This now works

Gary

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 9:58 AM
  • i hve seen this error many times . Just go for another download extract that on new locatoin run setup again

itwill resolve itself

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 10:54 AM
  • Right, 

The issue is caused by a corrupted/missing S.P. MSI file.

I suggest you download the standalone installer for the Rollup update. Mine was KB2866475 

Restart the server prior to installing and run the WindowsUpdateDiagnostics.exe from MS. It will give you the reasons why an update that's pending has/will not install.  You'll be required to restart the server. Install the standalone update. Make sure the SP files have not been moved from the location you originally installed them from.  

Just nailed it!!

Download the service pack and extract it to the original location you had before deleting/moving it to another location. Whatever file the RU is looking for will find it and install it. It's therefore important to organise your folder structures for future reference. Tough lesson but worth it. 

Installed RU, rebooted and EX2010's sweet like a nut!!

• Edited by Bennon Maina Tuesday, October 8, 2013 11:15 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Bennon Maina Tuesday, October 8, 2013 11:15 PM
    Wednesday, August 28, 2013 2:15 PM
  • Installing Update Rollup 2 for Exchange 2010 Service Pack 3 may fail or
    prompt for Installation Package Source - The Windows Server Essentials
    and Small Business Server Blog - Site Home - TechNet Blogs:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2013/08/30/installing-update-rollup-2-for-exchange-2010-service-pack-3-may-fail-or-prompt-for-installation-package-source.aspx

Don't Retire TechNet

Friday, August 30, 2013 10:17 PM
  • Right, 

The issue is caused by a corrupted/missing S.P. MSI file.

I suggest you download the standalone installer for the Rollup update. Mine was KB2866475 

Restart the server prior to installing and run the WindowsUpdateDiagnostics.exe from MS. It will give you the reasons why an update that's pending has/will not install.  You'll be required to restart the server. Install the standalone update. Make sure the SP files have not been moved from the location you originally installed them from.  

If this fails, call Microsoft Support and be ping-ponged from Engineer to Engineer for no reason whatsoever!!! 

It's not caused by a corrupted download btw, it happens all the time. See the blog post link I just posted.

Don't Retire TechNet

Friday, August 30, 2013 10:18 PM
  • Was having this same issue with Exchange 2010 Std running on Server 2008 R2 Enterprise - both from the Action Pack subscription. Followed step 1 and 2, then ran WindowsUpdate and browsed to the C:\expsp3 folder when prompted for the installation file exchangeserver.msi
    Sunday, September 8, 2013 5:55 PM
  • We are aware of this problem.

The issue does not impact all of the servers where RU is being installed. If you are impacted by this, the correct workaround is to provide access to SP3 installation files, after which Setup will continue. Files do not need to be stored locally, a mapped network drive will do just fine also.

We are currently planning to have this addressed in the next RU release.

Thursday, September 12, 2013 2:52 PM
  • what the hell is wrong with you people????

I've been working with Microsoft products for years and everything is a problem constantly.

I'm scared to death to run updates anymore for fear of having to work 8 hours overtime trying to find what damage it's done and undo it.

only one word.   wow

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 11:15 PM
  • That worked, thank you.  I downloaded it and unpacked it.  The other steps were not required.
    Saturday, October 5, 2013 3:54 PM
  • You're right! Extract the files from the Service Pack (3) to the original location prior to applying the RU and it works!!
    Tuesday, October 8, 2013 11:18 PM
  • Download and extract the Service Packs into d:\%USERNAME%\exchangeserverSP3\ folder (this must have been your original installation directory) and apply the update. 
    Tuesday, October 8, 2013 11:21 PM
  • I suggest you download and EX2010 SP3 to the original location (where it's looking for exchangeserver.msi) then apply the RU.

That worked for me. 

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 11:24 PM
  • Thank You!
    Friday, December 12, 2014 4:12 AM
  • This worked for me:

1.Download msizap.zip
    2.Start cmd as Administrator
    3.execute msizap TP! {4934d1ea-be46-48b1-8847-f1af20e892c1}

Where {4934d1ea-be46-48b1-8847-f1af20e892c1} is the GUI of your failure / warning in exchange logs.

Thursday, October 11, 2018 6:47 PM