none
Exchange Retention Policies not applying to all emails in folder RRS feed

• Question

• We have Archive folders with long term retention policies created for users to move important emails into. <o:p></o:p>

One user in particular reports that some emails do not inherit this retention policy when moved to these folders. I would say at least 90% do inherit the policy. This has not been reported by anyone else.<o:p></o:p>

As I arrow down a list of emails in one of these folders, I sporadically see emails with our 60 day policy, NOT the long term policy. When I right click one of these emails, and go to Assign Policy, it actually says "User Folder Policy" which it's clearly not. I have monitored these problem emails for days and they do not eventually resolve by themselves. i have also confirmed they are purged after 60 days. <o:p></o:p>

Moving one of these emails out of that folder and then back in does set the proper retention, but that's not much of a solution as more emails continue to not get proper retention as they are moved into these folders.

<o:p>These emails are moved into these archive folders originally by using Rules and "As Conversations". The user states this doesn't happen from any one method. </o:p>

I've call Premier Support, but they have been so far ineffective. <o:p></o:p>

I've confirmed this is occurring in Outlook 2013, 2016 and OWA. <o:p></o:p>

Any ideas?<o:p></o:p>

Monday, September 23, 2019 6:45 PM

Answers

• Ok, Premiere Support confirmed that moving emails with "Always move messages in this Conversation" to a folder with an Archive Tag, the emails DO NOT get the inherited tag. 

I can't imagine this was intended functionality. 

I was hopeful at that point it would be submitted to the developers as a bug. However, I was told only to stop using this feature and no bug report would or could be submitted. 

So I will inform the user to stop using this feature. 

• Marked as answer by Sonoma707 Friday, October 4, 2019 6:05 PM
    Friday, October 4, 2019 6:05 PM

All replies

• Before we move further,  I would like to ask the following questions:

1. Could you please provide us with your environment information? Such as Exchange Server’s version/build, amount, server role and so on.
    2. I guess you are using inbox rule to move the items to some custom “Archive” folders, am I right?
    3. Does the “archive folders” here mean some custom folders or the Exchange in-place archive?
    4. If a single email (which is not included in any conversation) enters into the “Archive” folder, could issue be reproduced?

To troubleshoot the issue:

1. Please run the following command to get the inbox rule effecting on this user:

Get-InboxRule -Mailbox <user_name> | fl

2. View the retention policy and the retention tags attached on it via the command below: 

Get-Mailbox –Identity <user_Name> | fl Name,RetentionPolicy
    Get-RetentionPolicyTag | fl

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 24, 2019 9:38 AM
  • Thank you for the assistance.

1. Environment:
    • 3 X Exchange 2016 w/ CU13 on Server 2016 Build 1607.
    • Roles - Mailbox.
    • Client - Windows 8.1, Outlook Professional Plus 2013.

2. These emails are moved down to these custom folders using Inbox Rules, normal Move and “Always Move  Conversation”.

3. These folders are custom folders that we’ve applied Archive Tags to.

4. The user says they are monitoring this situation and report that this issue doesn’t happen from any one method. In other words, it randomly happens using all of the methods from #2 above. It’s not easily reproduced.

She has 37 Rules. Instead of muddying this post with those details, they all look for specific words or specific people and move emails to these folders based on that, then stop processing further rules.

I have verified the user's mailbox does get our Standard Retention Policy and has access to its long term Retention Tag. These archive folders do have this "long term" tag set and most of the emails moved into these folders get that tag and have a very long retention. There are just random emails moved into these folders that don't inherit this. 

Tuesday, September 24, 2019 4:37 PM
  • Thank you for the assistance.

1. Environment:
    • 3 X Exchange 2016 w/ CU13 on Server 2016 Build 1607.
    • Roles - Mailbox.
    • Client - Windows 8.1, Outlook Professional Plus 2013.

2. These emails are moved down to these custom folders using Inbox Rules, normal Move and “Always Move  Conversation”.

3. These folders are custom folders that we’ve applied Archive Tags to.

4. The user says they are monitoring this situation and report that this issue doesn’t happen from any one method. In other words, it randomly happens using all of the methods from #2 above. It’s not easily reproduced.

She has 37 Rules. Instead of muddying this post with those details, they all look for specific words or specific people and move emails to these folders based on that, then stop processing further rules.

I have verified the user's mailbox does get our Standard Retention Policy and has access to its long term Retention Tag. These archive folders do have this "long term" tag set and most of the emails moved into these folders get that tag and have a very long retention. There are just random emails moved into these folders that don't inherit this. 

>> She has 37 Rules. Instead of muddying this post with those details, they all look for specific words or specific people and move emails to these folders based on that, then stop processing further rules.

I agree. Sometimes one problematic email could be also moved to other folders if multiple inbox rules effects on this email at the same time. In that case, since the retention tags applied to those folders are different, it may cause the conflict of the tags distribution.

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 26, 2019 9:20 AM
  • I watched her move these emails into these archive folders today. It was very interesting.

The first way was "Always move messages in this conversation" where she selected an archive folder. The email DID NOT get the retention of its parent folder. She states this is her primary way of moving these emails to archive.

I then had her use the normal move feature to the same archive folder and it immediately got the retention. 

I've even duplicated this on my own PC, but I'll wait until tomorrow to confirm the retention isn't updated.

At that point, I'll steer Premier Support in that direction. 

Thursday, September 26, 2019 8:18 PM
  • I watched her move these emails into these archive folders today. It was very interesting.

The first way was "Always move messages in this conversation" where she selected an archive folder. The email DID NOT get the retention of its parent folder. She states this is her primary way of moving these emails to archive.

I then had her use the normal move feature to the same archive folder and it immediately got the retention. 

I've even duplicated this on my own PC, but I'll wait until tomorrow to confirm the retention isn't updated.

At that point, I'll steer Premier Support in that direction. 

Thanks for your update.

Regards,

Manu Meng

Monday, September 30, 2019 9:29 AM
  • Ok, Premiere Support confirmed that moving emails with "Always move messages in this Conversation" to a folder with an Archive Tag, the emails DO NOT get the inherited tag. 

I can't imagine this was intended functionality. 

I was hopeful at that point it would be submitted to the developers as a bug. However, I was told only to stop using this feature and no bug report would or could be submitted. 

So I will inform the user to stop using this feature. 

• Marked as answer by Sonoma707 Friday, October 4, 2019 6:05 PM
    Friday, October 4, 2019 6:05 PM