Unable to recover deleted Mailbox from Public folder on Exchange 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi
    A user deleted a mailbox from a Public Folder, this is showing on Recover Deleted Items but when I try to recover I get:
    "outlook was unable to recover some or all of the items..."

This user is set as the owner of the Public Folder.
    How can I recover this?

Thanks
    ii
    ismael
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 4:11 PM

Answers

• Issue description: User can’t recover deleted public folder from “Recover Deleted Item” option in the “Tools” menu

Notes: The OWA recover method is for exchange 2000/2003, not exchange 2007

Check info:

1.      Quote: “I am a domain admin and have owner rights to the PF”

So, you have the Owner permission on JobName folder, right? If not, please grant the owner permission on JobName folder and try to recover again

2.      In some cases, anti-virus software on the server will trigger error “(409) Conflit”, please try to disable the AV temporarily and try to recover again

3.      Please try to use MFCMAPI to recover the deleted public folder

a.      Launch MFCMAPI on your client PC that have domain admin account and its outlook profile created, the account must have the following permissions

·         Administrative permissions on the Exchange Server computer

·         Local admin group

·         Full Exchange administrator rights

b.      “Session” menu->choose “Logon and Display Store Table”->choose profile in jumped window (don’t need to choose if there’s only one profile on client)

c.       Double-click Public Folders on the top-pane

d.      In the next window, expand “Public Root”->”IPM_SUBTREE”-> Department-> JobName

e.      Right-click the “JobName” folder, select “Open Deleted Sub Folder Table”

f.        In the next window, expand the JobName folder, we shall see that deleted public folder, right-click it and select “Restore Deleted Folder”

Notes: I tested in the lab (Exchange 2007 SP1)

• Proposed as answer by OPM666 Monday, June 1, 2009 9:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alan.Gim Wednesday, June 3, 2009 5:59 AM
    Friday, May 29, 2009 8:05 AM

All replies

• Did you try using PFDavAdmin to recover folder and then items...? PFDavAdmin works on Exchange 2000, 2003 and 2007...
    How to recover deleted public folders or items that are deleted from public folders by using the PFDAVAdmin tool in Exchange 2000 Server or in Exchange Server 2003

Amit Tank | MVP – Exchange Server | MCITP: EMA | MCSA: M | http://ExchangeShare.WordPress.com RSS

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 4:36 PM
  • Amit
    I did see an old post from you about this PFDavAdmin tool and I tried it and I get error 404 when I click recover folder.
    Am I missing something?
    I can only log on as me to the PFDavAdmin tool as the user does not have rights to see all Public Folders.
    Am I missing something?

ismael
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 4:42 PM
  • Can you post full error of 404? Yes, you need to use admin account to login with PFDavAdmin...

Amit Tank | MVP – Exchange Server | MCITP: EMA | MCSA: M | http://ExchangeShare.WordPress.com RSS

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 5:12 PM
  • Hi Amit
    I get the error when I try to recover folder:
    "An unexpected error occured.Exception: The remote server returned an error: (409) Conflit."
    Thanks

ismael
    • Proposed as answer by OPM666 Thursday, May 28, 2009 3:36 PM
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 8:10 AM
  • Hi,

Amit Tank. i have seen looking at a ticket your have updated URL=http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvradmin/thread/724c4e71-6ac3-4b06-a139-d0fb75433883

I would appreciate it if you could give us your thoughts as i am having the same problem as Ismael

Thanks,

OPM
    • Merged by Amit Tank Thursday, May 28, 2009 3:58 PM Replied at main thread
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 3:35 PM
  • Amit,

Can you share your thoughts on this with us.

Thank you.

OPM
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 3:37 PM
  • How about trying with OWA? Check if it is useful to recover...
    How to recover Public Folders using OWA

Thursday, May 28, 2009 3:56 PM
  • Amit
    It's a good link but doesnt tell me the URL i need to type into IE for OWA Access...
    ismael
    • Proposed as answer by mikelabs4475 Friday, April 24, 2015 6:12 PM
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 4:07 PM
  • Folder paths are below to access public folder and show deleted items in PF...

https://exchangeservername/public/folderpath
    https://exchangeservername/public/folderpath/?cmd=showdeleted

Thursday, May 28, 2009 4:22 PM
  • Right, I am not getting anywhere with this. Maybe I explained myself incorrectly.

This user deleted a Mail Enabled Folder which is in a Public Folder
    The path is: <Mycompany> Public Folders\Department\JobName\<MAILENABLEDFOLDER>
    This <MAILENABLEDFOLDER> was deleted and is showing in Recover Deleted Items but when attempting to recover an error appears:
    "Outlook was unable to recover some or all of the items in this folder. Make sure you have the required permissions to recover items in this folder and try again. If the problem persists contact your administrator."
    I am a domain admin and have owner rights to the PF.
    I have used the PFDAVADmin tool and get error:
    "An unexpected error occured.Exception: The remote server returned an error: (409) Conflit."

I can web into the folder but its empty...
    I dont understand how I can see the Parent folder via OWA.
    Thanks
    Ismael

ismael
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 4:33 PM
  • Issue description: User can’t recover deleted public folder from “Recover Deleted Item” option in the “Tools” menu

Notes: The OWA recover method is for exchange 2000/2003, not exchange 2007

Check info:

1.      Quote: “I am a domain admin and have owner rights to the PF”

So, you have the Owner permission on JobName folder, right? If not, please grant the owner permission on JobName folder and try to recover again

2.      In some cases, anti-virus software on the server will trigger error “(409) Conflit”, please try to disable the AV temporarily and try to recover again

3.      Please try to use MFCMAPI to recover the deleted public folder

a.      Launch MFCMAPI on your client PC that have domain admin account and its outlook profile created, the account must have the following permissions

·         Administrative permissions on the Exchange Server computer

·         Local admin group

·         Full Exchange administrator rights

b.      “Session” menu->choose “Logon and Display Store Table”->choose profile in jumped window (don’t need to choose if there’s only one profile on client)

c.       Double-click Public Folders on the top-pane

d.      In the next window, expand “Public Root”->”IPM_SUBTREE”-> Department-> JobName

e.      Right-click the “JobName” folder, select “Open Deleted Sub Folder Table”

f.        In the next window, expand the JobName folder, we shall see that deleted public folder, right-click it and select “Restore Deleted Folder”

Notes: I tested in the lab (Exchange 2007 SP1)

• Proposed as answer by OPM666 Monday, June 1, 2009 9:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alan.Gim Wednesday, June 3, 2009 5:59 AM
    Friday, May 29, 2009 8:05 AM
  • Just used these procedure (adapted) to restore a Public Folder including subfolder on Exchange 2010 SP3 RU9 ;)
    MFCMapi V.15.0.0.1043

Worked smoothly! Thanks

(Recover with ExFoldersV2 didn´t worked "Recover partially succeeded", may related to the including subfolder?)

Tuesday, September 15, 2015 9:23 AM
  • Thanks Alan, worked for me as well.

Downloaded MFCMAPI from below link and recovered public folders successfully.

I am using Exchange 2010 SP3 and ExFolders failed to recover the public folders.

http://mfcmapi.codeplex.com/releases/view/630991

Mayur Bhardwaj

• Proposed as answer by v-2mayb Friday, July 28, 2017 11:03 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by v-2mayb Friday, July 28, 2017 11:04 AM
    Friday, July 28, 2017 10:31 AM