none
Error: This mailbox exceeded the maximum number of corrupted items that were specified for this move request.

Question

• Hello Everyone, Good Day

We are transitioning Exchange 2007 SP2 to Exchange 2010 SP1, almost 3000 mailboxes, client access has successfully been transitioned to new CAS Array, HUB Transport Servers have also been introduced within the same AD Site, eveything works perfectyly including redirection of client access and mail flow. Now its the time to move mailboxes to exchange 2010 mailbox servers (DAG) but unfortunately when we move mailboxes we are getting following error with plenty move requests:

Error: This mailbox exceeded the maximum number of corrupted items that were specified for this move request.

I understand there is some email corruption in the mailboxes, so i scheduled the downtime and ran ISINTEG tool with -fix and -test alltest switches, it took many hours to complete and also fixed many issues, with one database it showed almost 4000 Fixes !!!

Once ISINTEG completed, we mounted the Database and restarted the migration of mailbox but unfortunately still getting the same error "This mailbox exceeded the maximum number of corrupted items that were specified for this move request."

Is there anyway through which we can identify the actual corrpution and number of total messages which are corrupt within the mailbox? and how can we fix them permanently so that we can move mailboxes to Exchange 2010 with no data loss.

Soonest response is needed, will highly be appreciated.

Thanks and Regards

MYM

Saturday, September 18, 2010 10:38 PM

All replies

• Did you run ISINTEG again to see if it had 0 errors/fixes? Sometimes it takes a few runs with ISINTEG before it fixes everything and still it is normal to have some bad items in mailboxes. How many bad items did you set the move to ignore?

If you use EMS and New-MoveRequest you can configure the BadItemLimit with a little more granularity and then accept data loss if you specify >50.

From TechNet for 2010 SP1: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd351123.aspx

The BadItemLimit parameter specifies the number of bad items to skip if the request encounters corruption in the mailbox. Use 0 to not skip bad items. The valid input range for this parameter is from 0 through 2147483647. The default value is 0. We recommend that you keep the default value 0 and only change the BadItemLimit parameter value if the request fails.

Dd351123.note(en-us,EXCHG.141).gifNote:
    If you set the BadItemLimit parameter to more than 50, the command fails, and you receive a warning stating: "Please confirm your intention to accept a large amount of data loss by specifying AcceptLargeDataLoss." If you receive this warning, you need to run the command again, this time using the AcceptLargeDataLoss parameter. No further warnings appear, and any corrupted items aren't available after the move to the destination mailbox is complete.

Microsoft Premier Field Engineer, Exchange
    MCSA 2000/2003, CCNA
    MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010
    Former Microsoft MVP, Exchange Server
    My posts are provided “AS IS” with no guarantees, no warranties, and they confer no rights.
    Saturday, September 18, 2010 11:49 PM
  • Dear Brian, Thank You for the response,

I ran ISINTEG twise on the same Database and second time it showed 0 Errors/Fixes on all tests result, means there is no more corruption in database, however when i restarted the migration of mailbox i get same error "This mailbox exceeded the maximum number of corrupted items that were specified for this move request."

Kindly note that BadItemLimit has been specified 0 item as our client's requirement is to migrate user mailboxes without any data loss. Is there any other effective way through which we can fix this corruption? (although i havent seen anyother way so far) and can we identify the corruption / actual number of corruptions per mailbox? and one more thing what MS is considering corruption actually while there are no user complains about it.

If i select BadItemLimit 50, will it delete actual email / contacts / meeting items or what? please could you explain it.

One more thing i think should be adviseable to specify that our client is using Symantec Enterprise Vault for E-Mail Archiving, is there any possibility that move request is considering archived emails as corrupt?? if yes then what would be the way forward?

Looking forward for the usual support and co-operation.

Regards

MYM

Sunday, September 19, 2010 3:56 AM
  • Keep in mind ISINTEG is fixing corruption within the database, bad pages, messed up tables, etc., and this doesn't guarantee the actual data inside the DB will be 100% healthy. The user may have had a corrupt message for months/years and never new it because they didn' try to open it or its attachment.

If you set BadItemLimit to 50 then it will allow up to 50 messages to be bad before failing the move. If it only finds for example 35 bad items then the mailbox moves successfully and those 35 items are lost. If they were corrupt then the user probably couldn't work with them anyways.

Exchange has no clue about EV. If they're stubbing messages then all Exchange sees are tons of little tiny messages with a different message class within the mailbox and tries to move them like any other email.

A baditemlimit of 0 isn't extremely reasonable in my opinion. If they want to go that route then move as many mailboxes as you can with it set to 0, and then export the rest of the mailboxes with Outlook to PST, compare the item counts in store versus the PST, and see if there is a difference or not.

Microsoft Premier Field Engineer, Exchange
    MCSA 2000/2003, CCNA
    MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010
    Former Microsoft MVP, Exchange Server
    My posts are provided “AS IS” with no guarantees, no warranties, and they confer no rights.
    Sunday, September 19, 2010 10:09 PM
  • I'm having the same issue with moving mailboxes to Exchange 2010. We're running coexistence between 2003 > 2007 > 2010, at the end we will only have Exchange 2010 in production. I was able to successfully move the user mailbox to Exchange 2007, but I can't get it to move to Exchange 2010, failing with the error message: "This mailbox exceeded the maximum number of corrupted items that were specified for this move request." I have tried Yasir suggestion: BadItemLimit 50  with no success.

Did you have any luck?

Thank you,

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 4:20 PM
  • Dear Yvel,

Sometimes it happens when some mailboxes contain more than 50 corrupt items while users doesnt even know about it, you can find out the number of corrupt items by getting the properties of failed move request (Number Of Corrupt Items) and also you can read detailed log on the log tab.

I would suggest you to specify -BadItemLimit 100 with -AcceptLargeDataLoss:$true and it should move because in the real world environment it will rarely reach 100 corrupt itema per mailbox.

If in case, some mailboxes reaches 100 bad items limit too, then you have two solutions, one to increase the limit to 150 or 200 and second to export the mailbox into PST File and fix it or use MFCMAPI tool to identify the corruption and delete it permanently. in cany case i would suggest you to increase the Bad Item Limit.

For me, i specified the same and encountered maximum 8 Corrput items in only one mailbox, and lowest was 1 corrupt item.

Dear Brian Day,

Thank You very much for the prompt response, but unfortunately my question is still unanswered that what and how microsoft is identifying an item as BAD while there is no user complain, and secondly how can we fix those corruptions as logically deleting those bad items should not be the ultimate solution (even though i havent seen any solution to fix them so far) and even still we cannot identify those bad items before migration.

Any update on this analysis would highly be appreciated.

Regards

M.Yasir Memon

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 7:14 PM
  • Hi,

How to change the default limit from 100 to any other higher number?

Thursday, October 28, 2010 6:41 AM
  • Hello all,

I am transitoning from exchange 2003 to exchange 2010 SP1 RU 1, the 2010 HUB, CAS and MBX servers are all in coexistance with the 2003 mailbox servers,.  At present we are using the HUB and CAS arrays to handle the email.  With reguards to transitioning mailboxes from 2003 to 2010 we have found that the 2010 move filters if allowed to accept baditem limits of 51 or more does cause issues with the larger mailboxes in that they have non functional Serach folders; non functional reminders; nonfunctional custom views; nonfunctional To-DO List and follow-up Flags.  All are problems that have arisen using any Outlook client 2003;2007 or 2010 to access the newly migrated mailboxes.  Note all of the troubled mailboxes were large mailboxes in size and did have a high rate of corrupted items.  It seems this issue is directly related to the transition and affects the mailbox folder structure and not so much the data withing the mailbox. 

Note: I have used every tool in existance to fix defrag and reached the 0 errors ratings and still had coruption errors and problems. 

Jeffrey S. Lefever
    Friday, December 10, 2010 2:48 PM
    • Proposed as answer by CSMN Thursday, December 20, 2012 6:25 AM
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 12:47 PM
  • New-MoveRequest –identity username –TargetDatabase “database name” -MRSServer CASServer -BadItemLimit XXX

Abhi
    • Proposed as answer by Abhinav Aneja Wednesday, August 10, 2011 1:21 PM
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 1:20 PM
  • Let me ask this issue a different way, the corrupted items in the mailbox during a move.  Is there anything that can be done with them to repair or are they generally unrepairable?
    • Edited by Joe Wilker Thursday, September 22, 2011 1:37 PM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 11:10 PM
  • Look in the failure log from the move request.  I found that for remote staff they seemed to have an excessive number of corrupt items and most seemed to be in their sent items.  When i opened the box i found lots of conflict messages where there were two versions of the same message, within a second of eachother (open the message and select one to keep).  I then moved their box without issue.  It is painful but if no data loss is a requirement for you it should help reduce the number of messages you would otherwise just lose from the above suggestions. 

Hope it helps

• Proposed as answer by Jason D Brown Friday, October 28, 2011 7:06 PM
    Friday, October 28, 2011 7:03 PM
  • I find they are generally unrepairable.  The move will drop any messages that if finds corrupted.

Once the move is complete, you should be able to review the move log file to see which items it could not move.

Friday, October 28, 2011 8:56 PM
  • I would open the user's mailbox and go to their calendar. Once there, change the view to "List" view. I bet you'll see a ton of conflict's, which the move request will see as a bad item. Basically it's two items for the same appointment, the one they see on their calendar and then a "conflict" edit that was probably the result of a flakey ActiveSync connection.

Delete all of those and you should be good

• Proposed as answer by Harness Saturday, October 29, 2011 2:40 AM
    • Edited by Harness Saturday, October 29, 2011 2:41 AM
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 2:40 AM