Windows 10 In-Place Upgrade to 1909 with SCCM/ECM RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have pushed out an inplace upgrade task sequence for Windows 10 1909.  The update works but machines are not reporting back an updated status under deployment.  The deployment says "in process" but software center shows "installed" and the OS is on 1909 now.

The pandemic has most of our staff remote but even when I run all the actions under the configuration manager applet in control panel still does not update the deployment.

I have confirm that the devices show the right version in SCCM/ECM and even go into the 1909 collection but the deployment has not updated in days.

Is there a bug or patch for this?

Thanks 

Tuesday, August 11, 2020 3:17 PM

All replies

• Hi Jmartocchio82,

Thanks for posting in TechNet.

1. May we check the smsts.log on our client to see if there is any  details about the upgrade process?
    Here is a helpful article to check the SMSTS.log:
    https://www.prajwaldesai.com/copy-smsts-log-file-during-task-sequence-failure/

2.Could we check the ccmmessaging.log  on our client to see whether the communication between the client and management point are normally or not? Also, we may check the locationservice.log to see the activity for locating management points and distribution points.

I hope this could help you. Thanks for your time.

Best regards,
    Fiona Yan

"MECM" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "MECM" forum's new home on Microsoft Q&A!
    For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by fionay Wednesday, August 12, 2020 5:58 AM
    Wednesday, August 12, 2020 5:57 AM
  • Nothing fails though, it installs successfully.  It just never reports back to the console.  It looks like a communication issue through the VPN.

Just not sure where to look to resolve it.

Regular software installs and reports back just fine, just not this inplace update upgrade task sequence

Thursday, August 13, 2020 12:39 PM
  • Hi Jmartocchio82,

Thanks for posting in TechNet

Could we try to manually refresh the site server policy?
    Here is a helpful article for you to refer to:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/mem/configmgr/core/clients/manage/manage-clients#BKMK_PolicyRetrieval

I hope this could help you. Thanks for your time.

Best regards,
    Fiona Yan

We invite you to post new questions in the "MECM" forum's new home on Microsoft Q&A!

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 14, 2020 9:30 AM
  • Hi Jmartocchio82,

Hope everything goes well.

May we know the current status of the question? If there is any other assistance we can provide, please feel free to let us know, we will do our best to help you.

Thanks for your time.

Best regards,
    Fiona Yan

Tuesday, August 18, 2020 7:04 AM