Installing System Center Essentials without Virtualization Management RRS feed

• Question

• We are already using System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2007 R2 on a dedicated server to manage our Hyper-V infrastructure and I was able to successfully install SCE 2010's server components on my management server sans virtualization management. However, installation of the SCE 2010 console on my local administration workstation is experiencing problems.

1. Installer will not allow me to put the SCE 2010 console on my local machine without first removing SCVMM. How do I install SCE 2010's console without uninstalling SCVMM first? Leads into my next question...

2. Why is it that I can install the entire SCE package on my management server and be able to exclude the Virtualization Management components which we don't need, yet the console installer doesn't offer any choice to exclude the SCE Virtualization Client?

4. When firing up the SCE console for the first time, it hangs there for several minutes attempting to connect to the non-existent Virtualization Management service on my SCE 2010 server before continuing. How do I prevent SCE 2010 console from attempting to connect to a non-existent service?

I'm sure the initial responses are going to be to dump SCVMM and use SCE for everything, but I already have an entire configuration for SCVMM in a production environment, including a self-help site, templates, rules, generalized vm images, and so forth. I don't want to lose any of that, nor do I want to take the time to migrate from SCVMM to SCE 2010 when the easiest solution is to simply not have SCE do any virtualization management.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 11:28 PM

Answers

• Actually go ahead and disregard this thread as I'm uninstalling SCE 2010 and going back to SCOM 2007 R2. In looking at the staggering amount of bloat involved with SCE 2010 on the dedicated server I'm using it on, I don't believe SCE 2010 is ready for use in a production environment. It's using a massive amount of resources on my twin dual core Opteron system with 8GB of RAM (94% memory usage) and it's slowing workstations down as well as bogging down other servers (MonitoringHost.exe working constantly, etc..). I think I'll wait on it until we see an R2 variant or some other performance/usability patches.
    • Marked as answer by Ceseuron Monday, December 20, 2010 5:29 PM
    Monday, December 20, 2010 5:29 PM

All replies

•  

Hi,

Based on my research, I think it is not recommended to put System Center Essentials 2010 and System Center Virtual Machine Manager on the same server, even when you install Essentials and do not select the Virtualization feature. Please also see the following thread:

SCE 2010 + VMM Workgroup

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/systemcenteressentials/thread/28b78c1d-ada4-4bf6-976f-cf187b051b6a

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, December 17, 2010 9:04 AM
  • Nicholas, 

System Center Essentials 2010 is not installed on the same server as System Center Virtual Machine Manager. SCVMM has its own dedicated server. 

The link doesn't provide an answer as to how I can install the console without virtualization management and prevent the console from being able to connect to the virtualization management service, either. If you could provide some insight into this, I would appreciate it.

Monday, December 20, 2010 4:49 PM
  • Actually go ahead and disregard this thread as I'm uninstalling SCE 2010 and going back to SCOM 2007 R2. In looking at the staggering amount of bloat involved with SCE 2010 on the dedicated server I'm using it on, I don't believe SCE 2010 is ready for use in a production environment. It's using a massive amount of resources on my twin dual core Opteron system with 8GB of RAM (94% memory usage) and it's slowing workstations down as well as bogging down other servers (MonitoringHost.exe working constantly, etc..). I think I'll wait on it until we see an R2 variant or some other performance/usability patches.
    • Marked as answer by Ceseuron Monday, December 20, 2010 5:29 PM
    Monday, December 20, 2010 5:29 PM
  • my server rarely uses more than 100Mb of ram for the console, and certainly not much processor, nor does it effect any of my clients..maybe I have the magical version...
    Ok, so I changed my name...you can still call me Tom if you like. It's a...jump...to conclusions...mat.
    Monday, December 20, 2010 7:07 PM
  • Surprisingly enough, I get about the same amount of memory usage when checking Task Manager under the processes tab. SCE appears to only use a couple hundred MB of RAM. However, after uninstalling it, the amount of physical memory being used dropped significantly and the machine itself isn't bogged down anymore. Perhaps it's the architecture or hardware? I don't have issues with my XEON based systems so much.
    Wednesday, December 22, 2010 7:06 PM
  • Hi Ceseuron,

I have tested some scenarios and I have solution for you. There are some limitations on this scenario, but everything will be working after you finish.

Limitations: If installing both SCVMM 2008 R2 and SCE 2010 on one server, you HAVE TO install SCE 2010 FIRST (sorry, but I still haven't tested cross-installation on two separated machines).

Clean Installation Scenario:
    1) Install SCE 2010 without Virtualization Management Components.
    2) Install SCVMM 2008 R2 Server on the same machine where you have SCE 2010 installed.
    3) Install SCVMM 2008 R2 Administration Console on another machine in domain.
    4) Run SCE 2010 for the first time, configure it (as in Users Guide).
    5) Configure reporting server (VMM Service account needs to have rights for reporting).
    6) Import all Virtual Machine Manager Management Packs from "C:\Program Files\System Center Essentials" including VMM Reporting.
    7) Start your SCVMM 2008 R2 Administration Console on the other machine and configure SCOM a Reporting in SCVMM 2008 R2.
    8) Now you can enable PRO tips (if needed).
    9) In a few minutes, everything will start working together (including support for VMWare in SCVMM in your environment).

Existing Installation of SCE 2010 Scenario:
    1) Try to uninstall Virtualization Management Components from SCE 2010.
    2) Once finished, install SCVMM 2008 R2 Server on the same machine where you have SCE 2010 installed.
    3) Install SCVMM 2008 R2 Administration Console on another machine in domain.
    4) Follow the steps 4 to 9 in the Clean Installation scenario.

Existing Installation of SCVMM 2008 R2 Scenario:
    1) Backup you current SCVMM 2008 R2 database.
    2) Try to uninstall SCVMM 2008 R2 (you should try to keep your data and reuse them later).
    3) Once finished, install SCE 2010 without Virtualization Management Components.
    4) Install SCVMM 2008 R2 Server on the same machine (try to reuse your old database or restore).
    5) Install SCVMM 2008 R2 Administration Console on another machine in domain.
    4) Follow the steps 4 to 9 in the Clean Installation Scenario.

If you will have any question, please ask me.
    I can test more scenarios if needed.

Best regards,

Jaroslav Sabacky.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 5:09 PM
  • Hi there,

I have an update for you. Whatever I have tested, it seems that the SCE Server contains whole VMM core and therefore the only one thing you need to fully manage this VMM server is to have the VMM Administration console installed on any other machine than the SCE server.

After that, you can start the VMM Administration Console, connect to your SCE server and you will able to manage the full VMM server inside SCE. SCE Administration Console is only "masking" some features of VMM but the features are still there (try to use PowerShell and you will see - all cmdlets are there).

Regards,

Jaroslav.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 2:18 PM