Error message when opening Outlook: The operation failed. The messaging interfaces have returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook.

Question

• In an Exchange 2010 server/Outlook 2013 environment, one of our users is getting an error message every time they start Outlook. The error message says: "The operation failed. The messaging interfaces have returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook."

The error log message details are as follow:

-

System

-

Provider

[ Name]

Microsoft Office 15 Alerts

-

EventID

[ Qualifiers]

Level

Task

Keywords

0x80000000000000

-

TimeCreated

[ SystemTime]

2013-01-08T15:54:49.000000000Z

EventRecordID

Channel

OAlerts

Computer

Computer-Name.domain.local

Security

-

EventData

Microsoft Outlook

The operation failed. The messaging interfaces have returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook.

xyfc

0x8004011B

The system is as follows:
    Size of .pst file: 2.3 GB (Unicode format so there should be plenty of space left)
    Application: Outlook 2013 (32-Bit)

The user upgraded from Outlook 2010 a few months ago and the error message has only recently started appearing on startup. I thought it was a corrupt mail profile, so I have already tried creating a new mail profile, as well as the repairing tool in Outlook. I even tested another email account and that worked just fine. So apparently it is something wrong with the specific user's account/profile and not something wrong with the computer - since my email account worked fine on his computer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tuesday, January 08, 2013 9:10 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Does it work after you recreate outlook profile? If not, I suggest you use the account to logon on to another computer and check the result.

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Cara Chen
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by S. Park Thursday, March 28, 2013 4:56 PM
    Wednesday, January 09, 2013 8:20 AM

All replies

• On Tue, 8 Jan 2013 21:10:38 +0000, S. Park wrote:

>In an Exchange 2010 server/Outlook 2013 environment, one of our users is getting an error message every time they start Outlook. The error message says: "The operation failed. The messaging interfaces have returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook."

Try going to "Control Panel | User Accounts | Manage Your Credentials"
    and removing any "Outlook-related" entries.
    ---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    • Proposed as answer by osu9400 Tuesday, September 23, 2014 9:16 PM
    Tuesday, January 08, 2013 10:09 PM
  • On Tue, 8 Jan 2013 21:10:38 +0000, S. Park wrote:

>In an Exchange 2010 server/Outlook 2013 environment, one of our users is getting an error message every time they start Outlook. The error message says: "The operation failed. The messaging interfaces have returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook."

Try going to "Control Panel | User Accounts | Manage Your Credentials"
    and removing any "Outlook-related" entries.
    ---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    Tuesday, January 08, 2013 10:10 PM
  • Hello,

Does it work after you recreate outlook profile? If not, I suggest you use the account to logon on to another computer and check the result.

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Cara Chen
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by S. Park Thursday, March 28, 2013 4:56 PM
    Wednesday, January 09, 2013 8:20 AM
  • This worked for me. Thanks!
    Thursday, March 28, 2013 4:23 PM
  • Thank you Cara!  Your advice about recreating the outlook profile in combination with scanning/repairing the .pst files fixed the issue.

He had years and numerous GB's worth of emails and never archived his emails.  So all his Outlook Data Files became corrupt.

Just glad I'll know what to do next time I see this.  Thanks again.

- Sung Park

Thursday, March 28, 2013 5:01 PM
  • I had the same error message, only in my situation Outlook would only open successfully every 4 or 5 attempts. When Outlook would open (versus just hanging at the splash screen), I would get two dialog boxes with the warning/error message.  After I clicked okay I could get into Outlook.

Previously I experienced this problem running my Office 2010 client with my Exchange 2007 mailbox on my old laptop.  The problem followed my mailbox through an Exchange 2010 migration (so new Exchange org), client upgrade to Outlook 2013, and a new laptop (so I knew it wasn't a corrupt profile).  This led me to the conclusion that it was a corrupt item(s) in my mailbox.

To resolve the issue, I archived *everything* in my mailbox to a PST file, ran SCANPST to fix the corruption, and then uploaded everything back into my Exchange mailbox one folder at a time, stopping after each folder to close and restart Outlook so I could narrow down which folder had the corrupt item if the problem recurred.  I'm happy to say my issue is now resolved.

• Proposed as answer by WillMF Tuesday, February 18, 2014 9:37 PM
    Thursday, December 12, 2013 11:22 PM
  • I had the same issue, but a different solution.

For some reason the user had the cache in Outlook 2013 set to ALL.  I set it back to the default of 12 months, and then recreated their Outlook profile.  Error message is gone.

Wednesday, January 08, 2014 7:48 PM
  • Thanks a million for this.

I have been having this issue for months and your recommended fix was the only thing that fixed it for me.

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 9:38 PM
  • Hi - can anyone explain what " ...cache in Outlook 2013 set to ALL. " means?  Where would I find this setting please?  Thank you.
    Tuesday, May 12, 2015 6:42 AM
  • Resetting it to cache 12 months just hides the problem. It also creates mailbox sizing issues when the user archives their data but has flagged items that prevent archiving which then become older than 12mths and then it becomes hidden to the client but exist and take space in their mailbox on exchange server, it grows and grows until the user has deleted everything from their mailbox in attempts to send an email but can't because their mailbox is full. That cache option is completely useless with this time bug and Microsoft should stop it. Cache on or off is enough, no time bomb to mess people around. In-fact, with my experience I have noticed the cache option is buggy in general and turning it off then back on fixes MANY issues.

It seems to me that if it fixed your problem then the email or folder is older than 12months old that is causing the problem.

Wednesday, July 29, 2015 12:26 AM