Error 0xc1037986 during Exchange 2003 std remove

Question

• This morning I tried to remove Exchange 2003 on a server due to be decommissioned. During the removal I received a prompt for the installation media, and after I pointed it to my Exchange disk I received this error: "Setup failed while installing sub-component of Windows Active Directory schema update with error code 0xc1037986". It then asked to reboot, so I said yes. After a reboot, none of the Exchange services will start. I've noticed these in the event log:

Exchange Server component Microsoft Exchange Messaging and Collaboration Services failed. 
    Error: 0x8000ffff - An unexpected error occurred. 

Exchange Server component Microsoft Exchange Forest Preparation failed. 
    Error: 0xc1037986 - Cannot find the file. 

EventType exchangesetuperror, P1 6_5_6944_0, P2 remove, P3 microsoft exchange forest preparation, P4 install, P5 c1037986, P6 _null_, P7 1, P8 NIL, P9 NIL, P10 NIL.

Exchange Server component Microsoft Exchange System Management Tools failed. 
    Error: 0xe0070101 - An unknown error has occurred. 

EventType exchangesetuperror, P1 6_5_6944_0, P2 remove, P3 microsoft exchange system management tools, P4 install, P5 e0070101, P6 _null_, P7 1, P8 NIL, P9 NIL, P10 NIL.

I thought I would reapply SP2 and try the removal again, but SP2 will not install because I can't start the Exchange services. 

The error I am receiving matches up with "Microsoft Exchange Forest Preparation failed". Why would it be trying to run forestprep? Is there a course of action for this server now - it's in a very bad way! 
    Monday, April 06, 2009 1:05 PM

Answers

All replies

• Please verify if you are using the right installation CD, wrong installation file will cause such symptom (Similar issue)

Further resources:

How to remove Exchange Server 2003 from your computer

Tuesday, April 07, 2009 9:52 AM
  • Thanks - I had already fixed by using the original installation CD.
    Tuesday, April 07, 2009 9:55 AM
  • I know this is an old thread, But I ran into this issue and discovered that the sbs 2003 r2 disks that were used for install wouldn't work for exchange2003 removal. since sbs2003 is nolonger available on technet, I downloaded and extracted the exchange 2003 iso ( no service packs). when asked for the sbs disk i pointed the wizard to D:\exchange2003disk\SETUP\I386\EXCHANGE and the wizard completed without error.

I hope this helps save someone the time it took me to dig through old boxes of disks looking for sbs2003 disks that would work

• Proposed as answer by Bonkersen Tuesday, November 18, 2014 3:43 PM
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 9:00 PM
  • An old issue I realise, but it took me a while to realise that the "right" installation CD isn't necessarily an installation CD with the version that matches the version of Exchange installed on the system. It was in fact a disk with no service packs that finally enabled our aging Exchange infrastructure to complete the uninstallation process, and not a SP1 or SP2 disk that caused some frustration.

Cheers for the pointers James.

-- Austin Arrowsmith, Ebor Administrator

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 7:21 AM
  • May be an old post but was the ticket.  I had the same error, found install disks for Exchange Server 2003 with SPs and was able to remove Exchange.

PELADMIN

Monday, February 27, 2012 10:44 PM
  • Corrections, with no SPs.

PELADMIN

Monday, February 27, 2012 10:45 PM
  • Hi Guys

I'm having the same issue except after using the SBS 2003D2 the uninstall failed and exchange is not displaying in the add remove programs so I can't try again. 

Any ideas? 

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 8:17 AM
  • Probably too late to reply, but try running the setup from the original disk. It should detect that you already have it on the server. Mine did. 

And yes the original setup disks sorted the above problem for me too. 

Thursday, May 10, 2012 4:24 AM
  • I didn't installed this exchange, and they don't know where is the original exchange setup disk. I used my exchange installation disk but it didn't work.

So is there anyone can tell me  how I can find the which installation version of exchange was used when the previous IT guy installed?

Thanks

Thursday, May 10, 2012 10:49 PM
  • Just to add my experience:

Using the Exchange 2003 RTM CD did the trick for me (use Standard for a Standard Edition installation, and Enterprise for an Enterprise Edition installation).
    The SP2 files did not work for me.

I wonder if you can uninstall using the RTM version if you had installed Exchange 2003 using the SP2 media directly.
    Hmm, not worth the time to find out.

Also, the link provided by James LUO (i.e. MS KB 833396) is a good one; however you might also have to remove some files and network shares manually afterwards.

As soon as one gets hold of these cd's, don't ever let go of them again....!
    (it's a shame that you cannot simply uninstall through the Control Panel, or that MS does not provide an uninstaller tool!)

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 12:47 PM
  • An old issue I realise, but it took me a while to realise that the "right" installation CD isn't necessarily an installation CD with the version that matches the version of Exchange installed on the system. It was in fact a disk with no service packs that finally enabled our aging Exchange infrastructure to complete the uninstallation process, and not a SP1 or SP2 disk that caused some frustration.

Cheers for the pointers James.

-- Austin Arrowsmith, Ebor Administrator

Hd03

Monday, November 19, 2012 11:23 AM
  • An old post - but not forgotten!  This one helped me too.  I started the uninstall with Exchange2003 SP1, but I need the original Exchange2003 (No SP).  As with so many other, I was not the IT Manager during the original install and the consultant is long gone.  Thanks!

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 8:54 PM
  • Perfect. ISO is   t h e   helping thing!!

Thank you

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 3:43 PM
  • I know this is an old thread, But I ran into this issue and discovered that the sbs 2003 r2 disks that were used for install wouldn't work for exchange2003 removal. since sbs2003 is nolonger available on technet, I downloaded and extracted the exchange 2003 iso ( no service packs). when asked for the sbs disk i pointed the wizard to D:\exchange2003disk\SETUP\I386\EXCHANGE and the wizard completed without error.

I hope this helps save someone the time it took me to dig through old boxes of disks looking for sbs2003 disks that would work

This did the trick for me also. I was using Exch2003SP2 media when I received the "Setup failed while installing sub-component of Windows Active Directory schema update with error code 0xc1037986" error, but when I re-attempted the uninstall using Exch2003 (w/o any Service Packs) the uninstall completed successfully and prompted for a reboot. The Microsoft Error Reporting service popped up with 3 error reports that were generated during the uninstall and requested permission to send the reports (which I did not) and I just rebooted instead as instructed. After reboot, system displayed message that some services could not be started. Checked the services and found that "Microsoft Exchange Management" and Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP)" services were still listed and set to Automatic. Changed startup to Manual on each, rebooted again w/o incident. So the removal of Exch2003 with original media works, but is not 100% clean (no surprise there) during the uninstall cleanup. This is the 1st of 2 old Exch 2003 servers I am retiring. I suspect the 2nd one will behave similarly when we're ready to shut-down that unit also. Thanks for the pointers.

• Edited by Jer-Cedar Thursday, December 18, 2014 3:45 PM
    Thursday, December 18, 2014 3:44 PM

Worked for me!!
    Tuesday, February 10, 2015 8:54 PM