Relay legacy exchange server to new office 365. RRS feed

• Question

• We migrated from exchange to office 365 about two years ago. We have a legacy exchange server that we use as a relay for our database application. The application sends out emails to clients and internal users.

The relay works because people outside our organization receive emails from our application. The issue is no one inside our organization can receive emails from our application.

To explain better lets say our domain is abc.com. The domain on the legacy server (relay) is still abc.com. The domain in office 365 is abc.com. When emails go thru the relay they seem to try and deliver emails to abc.com to the local server and not relay it to the office 365 account. Any other email domains pass thru the relay no problem.

How do I get the relay to pass the domain abc.com thru to office 365?

I did an awful job explaining this. Hopefully someone will understand what I am talking about!! Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, April 7, 2020 4:53 PM

Answers

• Do you have any users remaining on-premises? Is it possible to configure the domain as Internal relay?
    • Marked as answer by MAC0971 Wednesday, April 8, 2020 12:11 PM
    Tuesday, April 7, 2020 5:17 PM
  • i guess your legacy exchange, exchange 2013 as you posted it in this forum?, is not proppertly configured for hybrid or you aren't using aad connect to synchronize your on premises ad to azure ad, right?

So i would guess, if in your legacy exchange is no mailbox left, set the accepted domain for abc.com to internal relay

Set-AcceptedDomain -Identity abc.com -DomainType InternalRelay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

Tuesday, April 7, 2020 6:44 PM

All replies

• Do you have any users remaining on-premises? Is it possible to configure the domain as Internal relay?
    • Marked as answer by MAC0971 Wednesday, April 8, 2020 12:11 PM
    Tuesday, April 7, 2020 5:17 PM
  • i guess your legacy exchange, exchange 2013 as you posted it in this forum?, is not proppertly configured for hybrid or you aren't using aad connect to synchronize your on premises ad to azure ad, right?

So i would guess, if in your legacy exchange is no mailbox left, set the accepted domain for abc.com to internal relay

Set-AcceptedDomain -Identity abc.com -DomainType InternalRelay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

Tuesday, April 7, 2020 6:44 PM
  • Thank you for your help. I have actually looked at that screen a handful of times and at one point tried the External Relay but never read the Internal!!!.....I'm Stupid!! This worked. Thank you again!

Wednesday, April 8, 2020 12:10 PM