none
Multiple Domain Hosting - Linked Mailbox Autodiscover

Question

• I have an Exchange 2010 server installed on a domain that is part of it's own forest. I have a 2 way trust with another forest domain. I'm currently hosting mailboxes for both domains. The other domain does not have an Exchange server, the Exchange server is a standalone server and is the only CAS server. Everything works fine except the linked mailboxes cannot see their Online Archive when using Outlook. I've looked into all the patches and tried everything. Someone mentioned that Online Archives will not show up if Autodiscover is not working. Autodiscover works for the mailboxes that are on the same domain as the Exchange server and all users can see their Online Archive from within Outlook. All linked mailbox users autodiscover does not work and they cannot see their Online Archive. If I open multiple mailboxes (one regular mailbox, one linked mailbox) from a domain user on the same domain as the Exchange server I am able to see both users Online Archives. So I'm guessing autodiscover should be setup for this to work. Any ideas as the main mailboxes the Exchange server is hosting mail for is @companyx.com, while the linked mailboxes are @anothercompanyz.com. Outlook Anywhere works great on both the linked mailboxes and the regular mailboxes. They both look to email.companyx.com for their exchange proxy server.

What are the steps needed to get autodiscover working on the linked mailboxes, hopefully a simple DNS issue?

• Edited by Waterboy550 Thursday, August 2, 2012 3:37 PM
    Thursday, August 2, 2012 3:35 PM

Answers

• Figured it out. Simply added a SRV record to my ISPs Dns server to point _autodiscover._tcp.anothercompanyz.com to email.companyx.com. On the internal Dns server of anothercompanyz.com added a Host A record to point email.companyx.com to the internal IP address (these networks are linked via VPN).

Thanks for all the help, hope this helps someone!

• Marked as answer by Waterboy550 Thursday, August 2, 2012 6:05 PM
    Thursday, August 2, 2012 6:05 PM

All replies

• I think this thread answers your question.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchange2010/thread/2b452433-a7ad-4ccd-aee1-27786b053057

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Thursday, August 2, 2012 4:00 PM
  • I think that pertains to having multiple Exchange servers. I only have one. I did try and create a SRV Dns entry of autodiscover.anothercompanyz.com on that domain to point to email.companyx.com. Email.companyx.com resolves correctly to the Exchange server. However this did not work until I added a host A record pointing autodiscover.anothercompanyz.com to the physical IP address of the Exchange server on the other domain. After adding this the autodiscover did work from within the anothercompanyz.com internal domain, as all computers look to that for DNS resolution. However when opening outlook the users got a certificate warning that email.comanyx.com's certificate does not contain autodiscover.anothercompanyz.com. This is correct, it does not contain that information, I was under the impression that the SRV Dns entry would redirect autodiscover.anothercompanyz.com to email.companyx.com so the certificate error would not occur.

Any ideas?

Thursday, August 2, 2012 4:21 PM
  • Figured it out. Simply added a SRV record to my ISPs Dns server to point _autodiscover._tcp.anothercompanyz.com to email.companyx.com. On the internal Dns server of anothercompanyz.com added a Host A record to point email.companyx.com to the internal IP address (these networks are linked via VPN).

Thanks for all the help, hope this helps someone!

• Marked as answer by Waterboy550 Thursday, August 2, 2012 6:05 PM
    Thursday, August 2, 2012 6:05 PM
  • Domain-joined Outlook clients look to the SCP entry in Active Directory.  You might want to consider adding that to the non-Exchange domain.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Thursday, August 2, 2012 7:51 PM