winmail.dat outlook for mac 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I understand the whole winmail.dat issue and that it's rtf related.
    But who can explain the following.
    One of my clients is using Entourage 8 and connects to an online exchange service for his emails.
    I am using outlook for mac 2011 and it's configured with an IMAP account.

In both application there is no option to define the format of a message in rtf, the only options are html and plain text.

So why do I receive in outlook a winmail.dat file when in entourage mails are formated in html?

thx
    Tuesday, March 13, 2012 10:40 AM

Answers

• The back end remote domain is probably setup to use RTF.  The default of Exchange is to use MAPI RTF, which is a microsoft format.  When dealing with other systems and internal delivery, you may want to setup a specialized remote domain and specify that RTF is never used.  I had to do this recently in a GroupWise to Exchange migration since GW does not understand RTF.

This is accomplished in EMC, Organization Configuration->Hub Transport->Remote Domain.  You can either modify an existing domain or create a new remote domain and on the Message Format tab, set Exchange rich-text format to Never Use.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 7:52 PM

All replies

• The back end remote domain is probably setup to use RTF.  The default of Exchange is to use MAPI RTF, which is a microsoft format.  When dealing with other systems and internal delivery, you may want to setup a specialized remote domain and specify that RTF is never used.  I had to do this recently in a GroupWise to Exchange migration since GW does not understand RTF.

This is accomplished in EMC, Organization Configuration->Hub Transport->Remote Domain.  You can either modify an existing domain or create a new remote domain and on the Message Format tab, set Exchange rich-text format to Never Use.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 7:52 PM
  •  

Hi ,

Other information for your reference.

Mail format change Exchange 2010 / Exchange 2007:<//span>

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/is/exchange2010/thread/2585d8c1-49ba-4fb0-99a9-180f3393ddad

Wendy Liu

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, March 15, 2012 8:42 AM