none
Unable to display the folder. Microsoft Office Outlook could not access the specified folder location. Could not open the item. Try Again.

Question

• I have a few issues here trying to access our Public Folders directory. Firstly users CAN access the public folders via OWA. There are error messages when attempting to open the folder through Outlook 2003 SP3:

Unable to display the folder. Microsoft Office Outlook could not access the specified folder location. Could not open the item. Try Again.

There is a 'Sync Issue' email sent.

Synchronizer Version 11.0.8200
        Could not connect to the public folder server.
        [8004011D-526-80040115-0]
        The Microsoft Exchange Server computer is not available. Either trher are network problems or the microsoft Exchange Server computer is down for maintenance. (/o=<DOMAIN>/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Configuration/cn=servers/cn=<MBX_SERVERNAME>)
        Microsoft Exchange Server Information Store
        For more information on this failure, click the URL below:
        http://www.microsoft.com/support/prodredirect/outlook2000 us.asp?err=8004011d-526-80040115-0
    Syncronizing Mailbox <usermailbox>
    Syncronizing Hierarchy
    Syncronizing server changes in folder 'Calendar'
    Downloading from server '<CAS_SERVERNAME>.<DOMIAN>.com'
    Done

There is also an odd message (not a critical error, the yellow triangle variety) in ExBPA under 'All Issues'

The public folder store where the site offline address book is hosted was not detected. The hosting server may be unreachable or the public folder store does not exist. Public folder store: CN=PUBLIC_DB,CN=Databases,CN=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT),CN=Administrative Groups,CN=<DOMAIN>,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=<DOMIAN>DC=com.

Have to my knowledge used ADSIEdit correctly to set the permissions for the right container (everyone = Create named properties in the information store).

Again, OWA users can create, edit, delete and control Public Folders without any issues, it's just Outlook clients.

Thanks in advance.
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 11:08 PM

All replies

• Does the issue happen to all clients?
    Does the issue happen to all public folders?

Could users expand the public folders’ nodes?

Please open the outlook in safe mode, and see if you can reproduce the issue

Quote: “The public folder store where the site offline address book is hosted was not detected”

How’s the OAB download for outlook client? Did you enable the Public folder distribution for OAB? (Reference)

Quote: “Have to my knowledge used ADSIEdit correctly to set the permissions for the right container”

Do you mean the “CN=Public Folder”?

Notes: Pleas ensure that no other custom DL's or groups which may include Everyone/or individual user have the Deny permission set on "create named properties in the information store" as this will overwrite the Everyone group's Allow permission. i.e. Everyone group doesn't have Deny on "create named properties in the information store", but another group does have the Deny set on "create named properties in the information store" generating same error even though the Everyone Group as ALLOW

Does the right public folder database set in the “Properties” of mailbox database?

Please check the outlook log on the client machine (KB 300479)

James Luo
    TechNet Subscriber Support (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/ms788697.aspx)
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 7:59 AM
  • How's the issue currently? Does it fix?
    James Luo
    TechNet Subscriber Support (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/ms788697.aspx)
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 5:23 AM
  • Were you able to fix the problem, please let us know the solution I have having the same issue.
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 6:58 PM
  • same problem here. anyone have an answer?
    Tuesday, August 03, 2010 10:00 PM
  • I've found that the PF access is different than the regular Mailbox Access via RPC over HTTPS. With exchange 2010 servers the Outlook clients are connecting to the CAS server for mailbox and addressing access, but they need to connect to the mailbox server in order to access the Public Folders!

Read this: http://www.msexchange.org/articles_tutorials/exchange-server-2007/planning-architecture/uncovering-new-rpc-client-access-service-exchange-2010-part1.html

OK, now we know that, but still, the outlook clients are not connecting to the PFs if they are not in the internal network. (eq: from remotely)
    By CTRL+rightclicking on the outlook taskbar icon, the connection status shows HTTPS for the connected servers.
    If the client is internaly then it shows the CAS and the Mailbox servers, telling that the mailbox server is accessed for Public Folders. Good.
    If the client is externaly, then it shows the CAS server only and gives an error in the Sync Issues folder telling:  "Could not connect to public folder server. [8004011D-526-80040115-0] Microsoft Exchange is not available.  Either there are network problems or the Exchange server is down for maintenance. "
    This is not true. The mailbox server is there and the firewall is configured to allow HTTPS access to it, and I can test the connection with telnet. The same is true for the CAS server.

One more thing: I've found that the RPC over HTTP proxy feature was not installed on the mailbox server. Now it is installed. But still no success. The externaly started outlooks can NOT connect to the public folders. If they are started internaly, there is no problem.

So and the final (head)shot: if the client is started internaly and has proper mailbox and PF access, the netstat command does NOT gives any info about the connection with the mailbox server, while the ctrl+rightclick on the outlook icon - connection status shows a live HTTPS connection to the mailbox server as well...

This is the point where I asked Morpehus to unload me from the Matrix...

• Edited by Para Normal Thursday, December 30, 2010 10:22 AM typo
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 10:20 AM
  • Back in the Matrix again. Found the solution.

The RPC Proxy service is not needed on the mailbox server (you don't need to remove if installed, it is not used anyway) but
    the properly running RPC Proxy service is needed on the CAS server, and the CAS server does all the rest. Even connecting to the mailbox server's public folder access. All connections are made by the CAS server's rpc proxy.

The outlook shows that the PF is connected to the mailbox server via HTTPS... yes, it is true, just a little thing is not displayed: this connection is made through the CAS proxy server. That's why it is not shown by netstat... It's a bit misleading, huhh...

So you don't need to open any port to your mailbox server from outside, nor any other configuration to it. Only the CAS server should be accessible from outside. And the final step: on the client machine give a shot to the credential manager and add your domain with a wildcard, like: *.yourdomain.com, yourdomain\username, password. That's it. Why? Because the Outlook only asks for the credential to the connected CAS server and it cannot ask for more credentials used beneath. Oh, you may be sceptic: the credential is the same, why should I give it again and again? The answer is: Security Forever! :-) Try it and you will see.

Happy new year!

Friday, December 31, 2010 9:53 AM