Custom WMI queries stop resolving and don't show up in BGInfo UI RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,  I tried to Google this a bit and didn't find a match.  I'd be surprised I'm the first to encounter this issue.  I've had a bginfo config for sometime now that uses WMI queries to pull the system Model and Serial number.  No issues there.  It ran every login via a shortcut.  I used this with a former employer as well.

Yesterday I added a 3rd query for IP addresses on active, non-virtual interfaces only:

SELECT IPAddress FROM Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration WHERE IPEnabled=True AND NOT description LIKE "%VMware%" AND NOT description LIKE "%Virtual%"

I'm running it from task scheduler now on logon and every time there is a specific event id.  

After a couple runs, all three WMI based fields turn to <fieldname> .  When I open BGInfo and load the config file the custom button opens the window where the queries should be list but it is blank.  If I open the .bgi in VSCode I can see all the WMI queries are still there.

I've gone back to an older copy of my bgi file, added the new query again, and the same thing happens.

I'm running BGInfo 4.28 64-bit on Win10.  I'll see if I can find a place to host config file in its entirety.

Any suggestions on how I might modify the third query or solve this in some way?  Other than just not using the new query in entirety. 

Friday, November 13, 2020 6:24 PM

All replies

• What account is the scheduled task running as? 

What command line options are you passing to bginfo in the task? 

Are there multiple BGInfo.bmp files on your C drive? 

Your query works for me. Maybe use the /LOG switch to capture any errors. 

Saturday, November 14, 2020 9:53 PM
  • My generic solution when something goes wrong is to pass via a text file.

Create a cmd which starts a vbscript (or more then one) containing the wmi query which writes the output to a txt file, and after that, start bginfo with a config file which loads the text file. This way seems to work fine always..

HTH
    -mario

Sunday, November 15, 2020 9:04 AM
  • It is running as my local user.

I don't have any bginfo.bmp files in either the root of C or where I have BGInfo and the config.

My arguments are:

/TIMER:00 /SILENT /NOLICPROMPT C:\ProgramData\bginfo\config.bgi

I'll add /LOG , it actually seems like this might be related to running it as a task rather than the additional query.

Monday, November 16, 2020 8:02 PM
  • Also try setting the task to run as account INTERACTIVE. That way it runs for whoever is logged on to the desktop.  
    Monday, November 16, 2020 10:51 PM
  • Also try setting the task to run as account INTERACTIVE. That way it runs for whoever is logged on to the desktop.  
    I think so
    Tuesday, November 17, 2020 9:39 AM
  • I'm running this on a different machine now where BGInfo is run by a shortcut in the Startup folder, so I'm actually thinking this doesn't have to do with it being a scheduled task.
    Sunday, December 13, 2020 3:48 PM