none
Unable to Mount DB - Directory Object Not Found 0000208D

Question

• Hi All,

We have recently transitioned to Exchange 2010 SP2 from 2003. I currently have 6 databases all functioning normally on 2010 with about 8000 Mailboxes.

4 MDB servers in DAG

4 HT\CAS in CasArray

When attempting to create and mount a new database I receive the following error:

--------------------------------------------------------
    Microsoft Exchange Error
    Failed to mount database 'MDB7_Disabled_Users'.

MDB7_Disabled_Users
    Failed
    Error:
    Active Directory operation failed on DC02.network.org. This error is not retriable. Additional information: Directory object not found.
    Active directory response: 0000208D: NameErr: DSID-031001CD, problem 2001 (NO_OBJECT), data 0, best match of:
    'DC=network,DC=org'

The object does not exist.

I have searched around quite a bit without a definitive answer or resolution.

I am trying to create the database from the MDB server using the account that installed exchange 2010 SP2.

After this error the Database can be seen in the EMC as dismounted, when attempting "Mount-Database "MDB7_Disabled_Users" -Verbose" I receive the exact same error as above without any additional details.

Permissions have been checked and re-checked.

• Edited by RPM666 Tuesday, May 1, 2012 6:44 PM
    Tuesday, May 1, 2012 3:09 PM

Answers

• Figured it out.

I am still uncertain of the cause, however, an easy fix. Re-running the prepareAD restored whatever it was that was broken. No Services needed to be restarted and I have already moved a mailbox to the newly created DisabledUsers DB successfully.

Setup.com /PrepareAD

• Marked as answer by RPM666 Wednesday, May 2, 2012 5:57 PM
    Wednesday, May 2, 2012 5:57 PM

All replies

• How long hve you waited since creating the database? Sometimes it can take a few minutes before you can mount it.

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 3:14 PM
  • Created a few days ago.
    Tuesday, May 1, 2012 3:15 PM
  • Did  you try to restart  Active Directory topology service on your Exchange Server ? Also take alook at event logs ( application) on the Excahnge server and post some of the red ones gets logged when you attempt to mount the problem DB

ocd

Oz Casey, Dedeal MCITP (EMA), MCITP (EA), MCITP (SA) Visit smtp25.blogspot.com Visit Telnet25.wordpress.com   This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 3:38 PM
  • I've restarted all services, rebooted, and the only thing showing in error logs is an expected MSExchangeRepl error shown below:

Database redundancy health check failed.

Database copy: MDB7_Disabled_Users

Redundancy count: 1

Error: The number of configured copies for database 'MDB7_Disabled_Users' (1) is less than the required redundancy count (2).

Name                 Status RealCopyQueu InspectorQue  ReplayQueue      CIState

e           ue                         

----                 ------ ------------ ------------  -----------      -------

MDB7_Disabled    Dismounted            0            0            0      Unknown

_Users\DA1EXD                                                                 

B101

===============

Full Status

===============

Identity                         : MDB7_Disabled_Users\DA1EXDB101

Name                             : MDB7_Disabled_Users\DA1EXDB101

DatabaseName                     : MDB7_Disabled_Users

Status                           : Dismounted

MailboxServer                    : DA1EXDB101

ActiveDatabaseCopy               : DA1EXDB101

ActivationSuspended              : False

ActionInitiator                  : Unknown

ErrorMessage                     :

ErrorEventId                     :

ExtendedErrorInfo                :

SuspendComment                   :

SinglePageRestore                : 0

ContentIndexState                : Unknown

ContentIndexErrorMessage         : Could not find registry entry for Catalog He

alth for database {f7d49c32-3e2e-4405-b16a-5

691bbd86164}

• Edited by RPM666 Tuesday, May 1, 2012 8:20 PM
    Tuesday, May 1, 2012 4:25 PM
  • Hello,

According to the description in event, it seems that “MDB7_Disabled_Users” only has one copy.

Is the database “MDB7_Disabled_Users” that has an existing mailbox?

Please check if there is any related event in the application log after you get the “failed state”?

Please run ExBPA to check if exchange servers run normally.

Best Regards,

Lisa

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 3:28 AM
  • What happens when you try a new DB with different Name.
    Try deleting the Object MDB7_Disabled users from ad & try to recreate the Same.

Any errors noted in the Apps / Sys Log please paste it here

Syed MM - IBM - Messaging Technical Lead || MCTS: Microsoft Exchange Server 2007/2010 || MCSE || MCSA ||

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 5:47 AM
  • Correct, when creating the database and chosing to not mount the DB, the same error is received. No database mdb file is created, I have tried multiple locations on the disk as well, including disks that have active DBs, and passive DBs.

The error in the Application log is basically saying it only has one copy, which is an expected message for a single DB with no copies.

In ADSI the AD DB object is created, or appears to be, in the proper place with the other databases. Permissions are automatically set normally on the new object that match identically to the existing 6 fully functioning perfectly normal DBs.

This is also the Enterprise Edition so I know I am not DB limited, as shown by the 6 active DBs.

Changing the name of the DB, or creating a new one with a different name yields the exact same error. No changes in error logs, no errors, no warnings, only expected informationals.

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 5:14 PM
  • Figured it out.

I am still uncertain of the cause, however, an easy fix. Re-running the prepareAD restored whatever it was that was broken. No Services needed to be restarted and I have already moved a mailbox to the newly created DisabledUsers DB successfully.

Setup.com /PrepareAD

• Marked as answer by RPM666 Wednesday, May 2, 2012 5:57 PM
    Wednesday, May 2, 2012 5:57 PM
  • Just an additional note, this may also create an additional Microsoft Exchange Security Objects OU in AD that will need to be deleted. Most likely it will contain the system mailbox of the newly created DB as was in my case.
    Friday, May 18, 2012 2:49 PM