Exchange 2007 - AutoDiscovery Service Failing (Error 1013: Unauthorized)

Question

• On Excahgne 2007 SP1, Outlook 2003 users do not experiance any issues. ALL Outlook 2007 users have the following issues. Outlook anywhere works fine for all.

- Unable to use Out Of Office (Getting Server unavailable error)

- Unable to See Free/Busy information for all users ( Major Issue)

- Some Outlook 2007 users are being prompted repeatedly to sign into the Outlook anywhere server when launching the Outlook 2007 client.

I have run the Test-OutlookWebServices and receive the following info back.

Id      : 1003
    Type    : Information
    Message : About to test AutoDiscover with the e-mail address Administrator@uhdc
              o.com.

Id      : 1007
    Message : Testing server fs-exch01.uhdco.com with the published name https://ow
              a.uhdco.com/ews/exchange.asmx & .

Id      : 1019
    Message : Found a valid AutoDiscover service connection point. The AutoDiscover
               URL on this object is https://owa.uhdco.com/autodiscover/autodiscove
              r.xml.

Id      : 1013
    Type    : Error
    Message : When contacting https://owa.uhdco.com/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml r
              eceived the error The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthor
              ized.

Id      : 1006
    Type    : Error

I have looked thru other threads but the solutions don't seem to work for my scenario.

A few suspicious things are that the Autodiscovery file has no real settings in it. I have been unable to determine what its contents should be.

Also when running the "Test E-mail AutoConfiguration" it all fails as well.

I have read about an "A" Record being required in DNS for this to work, however this i have not yet set up.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 6:30 PM

Answers

• Hello,

The OOF feature is based on the autodiscover service. If it is convenient, you can collect the following logs for troubleshooting:

[Collect AutoConfiguration Status in Outlook]

===================================

a. While Outlook is running, click the CTRL key and then right-click the Outlook icon in the system tray and then select “Test Email Autoconfiguration”.

b. Confirm that your email address is in the address field, uncheckUse Guessmart” and “secure Guessmart authentication” boxes. Then click the “Test” button.

c. Once it runs, please send me a screen shot of the Log tab and Results tab.

[CAS server configuration information]

=============================

On CAS server, open “Exchange Management Shell” and type the cmdlet:

Get-autodiscovervirtualdirectory | fl >c:\auto.txt

Get-clientaccessserver | fl >c:\cas.txt

Get-ExchangeCertificate |fl >c:\certlog.txt

You can reach me at: v-simwu@microsoft.com

Thanks,

Simon

Friday, June 24, 2011 8:58 AM

All replies

• First - any reason why you haven't upgraded to Exchange 2007 Sp3? I would suggest that you start with that.

Does the host name that are getting back actually resolve internally? It should do. That also isn't the default setting, so it has been changed. The default setting would be the real name of the server:

https://host.example.com/Autodiscover/Autodiscover.xml

The value for the Autodiscover URI set on the CAS server does not have to resolve externally as it is only used internally. It does need to match one of the names on the SSL certificate.

You can see the current value by using

get-clientaccessserver | fl

and looking for the value of AutodiscoverServiceInternalURI.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
    Blog | Exchange Resources | In the UK? Hire Me.
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 10:16 PM
  • Hello,

The OOF feature is based on the autodiscover service. If it is convenient, you can collect the following logs for troubleshooting:

[Collect AutoConfiguration Status in Outlook]

===================================

a. While Outlook is running, click the CTRL key and then right-click the Outlook icon in the system tray and then select “Test Email Autoconfiguration”.

b. Confirm that your email address is in the address field, uncheckUse Guessmart” and “secure Guessmart authentication” boxes. Then click the “Test” button.

c. Once it runs, please send me a screen shot of the Log tab and Results tab.

[CAS server configuration information]

=============================

On CAS server, open “Exchange Management Shell” and type the cmdlet:

Get-autodiscovervirtualdirectory | fl >c:\auto.txt

Get-clientaccessserver | fl >c:\cas.txt

Get-ExchangeCertificate |fl >c:\certlog.txt

You can reach me at: v-simwu@microsoft.com

Thanks,

Simon

Friday, June 24, 2011 8:58 AM