Exchange 2010 cannot create mailbox RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I cannot create a mailbox on the exchange, I am getting an error: 'You must provide a value for this property'..

Thursday, July 19, 2012 8:01 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    That was a bit more information than "I cannot create a mailbox on the exchange,...:)

Seems to me that you still have the old database "Mailbox Database 1124606198" left in AD and you need to delete it.

Martina Miskovic

• Proposed as answer by Danie Claassen Tuesday, July 24, 2012 3:49 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jackzhou_5 Thursday, July 26, 2012 6:20 AM
    Friday, July 20, 2012 8:11 AM
  • Hi Zozovic,

Any update?

Please go to Exchange management console and check if there is any database in unknown state. And if you have ever deleted the old Exchange server, please try to delete the database object which point to the deleted server by ADSI Edit. Then create the mailbox again.

Noya Lau

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Jackzhou_5 Thursday, July 26, 2012 6:21 AM
    Monday, July 23, 2012 10:01 AM
  • Hi, Microsoft contacted me eventually.

Issue resolved.

Removed the db from adsiedit and it worked.

Thanks

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 3:49 PM

All replies

• Hi 

can you post the full error message please?

Thank you

Thursday, July 19, 2012 8:13 AM
  • You need to specify properties for three values when you just type New-Mailbox in EMS.
    Which one did you leave out?

Describe exactly the step you are taking.

Martina Miskovic

Thursday, July 19, 2012 8:17 AM
  • the error I'm getting is when I create a new internal or external mailbox.. on exchange 2010 Sp1.. error description is as that: 'You must provide a value for this property" - Exchange Management Shell command attempted: Enable Mailbox - 'myDomain.local/myCompany/Users/Staff/myNew Staff - Alias myNewStaff.. 

EventID is 2155/2159 MsExchange ADAccess..

Thursday, July 19, 2012 9:16 AM
  • Ok! sorry for delays..

I recently moved the exchange server:- now I have notice some errors: processw3wp.exe () (PID=9444). Configure object CN=myOldExchangeBox..

Could this be the problem that it still recognise myOldExchange box?

Thursday, July 19, 2012 9:20 AM
  • Your are not giving us much informtion here.

If you moved the server object to a different OU, restart MSExchangeSA.

Martina Miskovic

Thursday, July 19, 2012 9:28 AM
  • I am getting this warning: eventid 5006

Cannot find route to Mailbox Server CN=Old_deletedExServer\0ADEL:a4b9500f-d0f8-4101-8ea8-001c74078ad5,CN=Servers,CN=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT),CN=Administrative Groups,CN=myCompany,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=myCom,DC=local for store CN=Mailbox Database 1124606198,CN=Databases,CN=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT),CN=Administrative Groups,CN=myCompany,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=myCom,DC=local in routing tables with timestamp 2012/07/19 09:10:11 AM. Recipients will not be routed to this store.

Thursday, July 19, 2012 9:48 AM
  • Restart Microsoft Exchange System Attendant (MSExchangeSA) if you haven't done so already.

Martina Miskovic

Thursday, July 19, 2012 9:49 AM
  • Hi Guy's, that for the replies so far...

let me fill in a few gaps.

We had a server crash on a old exchange server(Exch 2010 sp1)

We created a new server and imported all the mail to the new server.

There now was still some reverences to the old server. It was removed from adsiedit but it is still stuck in some places and i think that is what is causing the issue. The old server does not exist anymore so could not uninstall.

i Have restarted the Exchange server so all services has been restarted.

Error in the application log:

Cannot find route to Mailbox Server CN=SVVCAB029\0ADEL:a4b9500f-d0f8-4101-8ea8-001c74078ad5,CN=Servers,CN=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT),CN=Administrative Groups,CN=Dac Systems,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=dac,DC=local for store CN=Mailbox Database 1124606198,CN=Databases,CN=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT),CN=Administrative Groups,CN=Dac Systems,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=dac,DC=local in routing tables with timestamp 2012/07/20 07:12:25 AM. Recipients will not be routed to this store.

When we try and create a new user we get the error above. i Do specify the mailbox db to use as you can still see the old on in there but no luck...

Friday, July 20, 2012 7:21 AM
  • Hi,
    That was a bit more information than "I cannot create a mailbox on the exchange,...:)

Seems to me that you still have the old database "Mailbox Database 1124606198" left in AD and you need to delete it.

Martina Miskovic

• Proposed as answer by Danie Claassen Tuesday, July 24, 2012 3:49 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jackzhou_5 Thursday, July 26, 2012 6:20 AM
    Friday, July 20, 2012 8:11 AM
  • Ok, looks like you right just want to make sure i dont stuff up...

Under adsiedit i went to:

Configuration -> Services -> Microsoft Exchange -> Company Name -> Administrative groups

Exchange administrative group -> Databases 

there is 2 db's

The old one called "CN=Mailbox Database 1124606198" is in there with a file inside it with the old server name...

Do i delete the "CN=Mailbox Database 1124606198" folder?

Think i will quickly do a system state backup while i wait for confirmation.

Friday, July 20, 2012 8:22 AM
  • It's really not good to mess around in ADSIEdit and it wasn't the best descision you made to remove the failed server in there, but since you did...you should delete the databases aswell.

Martina Miskovic

Friday, July 20, 2012 8:27 AM
  • That was recommended from Microsoft.

i have got a call logged but they are now taking a bit long to get back to me and i need to create users so trying to see what else can be done so long.

Friday, July 20, 2012 8:36 AM
  • That was recommended from Microsoft.

Very Interesting!
    Second time in two days that I read that this approach has been recommended by PPS, when it's well known that the only supported way to remove a failed server is to install a new one with the switch /recoverserver.

Oh well, I hope removing the DB solves the problem for you and that Microsoft helps you remove ALL Traces of the failed and now removed server.

Martina Miskovic

Friday, July 20, 2012 8:40 AM
  • Thanks... Think it might be better to wait for them to get back to me...

They were involved in the whole process from when the original server crashed, moving it over to a new server and everything i have done to now was what they told me to do...

Contacted them to clean our new exchange up a little after the whole ordeal and they is what they recommended... Now i cant create new users.

Friday, July 20, 2012 8:48 AM
  • Thanks... Think it might be better to wait for them to get back to me...

Yes, that might be best.

Just a thougt..in the error you get you have "Cannot find route to Mailbox Server".
    I'm guessing that is has to do with the old server is still routinggroup master and that needs to be changed. Check your settings for the Routing Groups in ADSIEdit.

Post back when you have heard from Microsoft and let us know how the problem was resolved.

Martina Miskovic

Friday, July 20, 2012 8:54 AM
  • Hi Zozovic,

Any update?

Please go to Exchange management console and check if there is any database in unknown state. And if you have ever deleted the old Exchange server, please try to delete the database object which point to the deleted server by ADSI Edit. Then create the mailbox again.

Noya Lau

TechNet Community Support

Monday, July 23, 2012 10:01 AM
  • Hi, Microsoft contacted me eventually.

Issue resolved.

Removed the db from adsiedit and it worked.

Thanks

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 3:49 PM
  • THANK YOU GOD... i follow this by remove the old unknown db with adsiedit. and it work.

i been staying one whole night google/search microsoft technet and tried many ways.. till i stumble on this post and it saved my life

Monday, May 5, 2014 3:33 PM
  • I have same problem. Using MS Server 2008 R2 with MS Exchange 2010. I just saw that there are 3 databases (image attached). How to know which database is to delete and which one should be kept? And what will happen to my all mailboxes if I delete a database?

Please note that i am newbie to MS exchange.

Thanks for your time and support.

• Edited by Aamir Karim Thursday, December 15, 2016 3:57 PM Image attachment was missing
    Thursday, December 15, 2016 3:54 PM