none
Exchange 2007 upgrade to Exchange 2010 Beta 1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Is it currenly possible to upgrade an Exchange 2007 installation to Exchange 2010 Beta 1?

Haven't found anything regarding this in the release notes.

Thanks,
    Arthur

• Edited by Arthur Tak Wednesday, April 15, 2009 7:30 PM
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 7:25 PM

Answers

• No, you cannot do an in-place upgrade. You also can't move the DBs somewhere, uninstall 2007, install 2010, and mount the DBs.

You have to build a new box and do a mailbox move. If you have a CCR cluster you could make a calculated risk and something like this. Break the cluster up, wipe out one node and start fresh with 2010, move the mailboxes, then blow away the remaining CCR node, install 2010 on it and then create a DAG and join the other node to it.
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Tak Wednesday, April 15, 2009 7:37 PM
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 7:27 PM
  • The disclaimer first, it is not supported to run Exchange 2010 Beta in production.

Apart from that there significant database changes between 2007 to 2010 so it requires that you move mailboxes from 2007 to 2010 rather than being able to do an in place upgrade.

http://exchangeexchange.com
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 7:29 PM
  • Bare metal only. There are too many database schema changes (and other stuff) to do in place upgrades.
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 8:36 PM

All replies

• No, you cannot do an in-place upgrade. You also can't move the DBs somewhere, uninstall 2007, install 2010, and mount the DBs.

You have to build a new box and do a mailbox move. If you have a CCR cluster you could make a calculated risk and something like this. Break the cluster up, wipe out one node and start fresh with 2010, move the mailboxes, then blow away the remaining CCR node, install 2010 on it and then create a DAG and join the other node to it.
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Tak Wednesday, April 15, 2009 7:37 PM
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 7:27 PM
  • The disclaimer first, it is not supported to run Exchange 2010 Beta in production.

Apart from that there significant database changes between 2007 to 2010 so it requires that you move mailboxes from 2007 to 2010 rather than being able to do an in place upgrade.

http://exchangeexchange.com
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 7:29 PM
  • Thanks both for the quick answers. And I am running it at my own test lab, so no 'real' production environment.

And just for the records if people search the forum:

Important: 
    When transitioning to Exchange 2010, you cannot perform an in-place server upgrade on an existing Exchange server. Instead, you must install a new Exchange 2010 server into the existing organization, and then move data to the new Exchange 2010 server. 

Found over here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124008(EXCHG.140).aspx

(I looked at the subjects below the 'main' one, otherwise I would have found the answer myself :-))
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 7:36 PM
  • Do you know if there will be an upgrade version or is it only going to be bare metal installs that join and migrate to 2010?  WE currently have 2007 (moved in the last year) and in this market there is little to now chance that I will be able to get new hardware in 2010 for a change.
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 8:32 PM
  • Bare metal only. There are too many database schema changes (and other stuff) to do in place upgrades.
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 8:36 PM
  • You will need new HW for Exchange 2010.
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 8:38 PM
  • Depending on how you have 2007 setup today you might be able to break the CCR cluster (leave SCR going if you have that), rebuild that node as 2010, move the mailboxes, then rebuild the other machines. It'll require calculated time where you're running on a single node, but it gets around having to buy a ton more servers. This of course does not take care of the CAS/HUB issue, but those should be easier.
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 12:48 AM
  • I'm confused.  The documentation says Exchange 2010 supports co-existence with Exchange 2007 (and 2003) however setup will not install in a domain with an existing Exchange 2007 server:
    "Coexistence between Exchange Server 2010 Beta and previous Exchange Server versions is not supported."

What are my options?
    1. Create an entirely new AD forest just for Exchange 2010.
    2. Uninstall Exchange 2007 server and then install Exchange 2010.
    3. Wait for the next beta that supports co-existence.
    4. Wait for MS to release a VHD that saves us all the headache of options 1-3.

-Rob
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 1:05 AM
  • I'm confused.  The documentation says Exchange 2010 supports co-existence with Exchange 2007 (and 2003) however setup will not install in a domain with an existing Exchange 2007 server:
    "Coexistence between Exchange Server 2010 Beta and previous Exchange Server versions is not supported."

What are my options?
    1. Create an entirely new AD forest just for Exchange 2010.
    2. Uninstall Exchange 2007 server and then install Exchange 2010.
    3. Wait for the next beta that supports co-existence.
    4. Wait for MS to release a VHD that saves us all the headache of options 1-3.

-Rob

Exchange 2010 requires Exchange 2007 SP2 to be installed if you install it in the same AD site. Since SP2 isn't out yet, install E2010 in a seperate AD site for now and make sure there is at least one Windows Server 2003 SP2 GC available in that site. As always like Joel said, this a beta so don't go installing it in production (might be why what you see is written that way). :) Exchange 2003 SP2 and E2010 beta can coexist in the same AD site AFAIK.
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 1:08 AM
  • Thanks for the speedy response Brian.

I appreciate the complexity of launching and communicating a beta program  I know it is tough.  I can't speak for the rest of the community, but I would prefer to recieve a vhd version of Exchange 2010 beta.  After all, if I can't upgrade an existing lab, than how can I give valuable feedback on the beta?  If the purpose is just to show the community the new features and sizzle then a VHD would save a lot of man hours of configuration and installation.

When Exchange 2007 SP2 comes out I will be ready to roll with my VM perfectly poised for Exchange 2010 beta.  Until then, it will have to wait.

-Just needed to vent a little.

Thursday, April 16, 2009 1:22 AM
  • I hear ya. We've all been going through the same thing in the TAP, but once you get a lab going it becomes second nature. What kind of lab do you have to work with, maybe we (you/me/other posters, not MS) can figure something out to get you there before a VHD shows up (if one does).
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 1:26 AM
  • Hi every Body,

We have installed Exchange2010 in our test lab in a seperate AD, OWA looks great both in Firefox and IE, but options are not working , like when enabling the spell check, changing the personal details etc...Is there any solution for this
    • Proposed as answer by Amit Tank Wednesday, April 22, 2009 7:10 AM
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 6:14 AM
  • What happens when clicking on options?
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 6:16 AM
  • "error occured and your request could not complete" pls try again, If the problem persist contact system administrator"

This is the error we get.
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 6:34 AM
  • "error occured and your request could not complete" pls try again, If the problem persist contact system administrator"

This is the error we get.
    which web browser you used to run OWA(IE or Firefox) ?

Regards

Chinthaka -If you think my thread is helpful, Please vote.
    • Proposed as answer by ashish2007 Wednesday, April 22, 2009 7:37 AM
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 6:53 AM
  • In Both

Wednesday, April 22, 2009 7:37 AM
  • IM curious so do you know how in 2003-2007 you can just copy over the DB's? You saying you cant do that with 2010 exchange?
    Friday, December 11, 2009 3:29 AM
  • Are still still taking about betas or the RTM? You can't move DBs between versions. You also can't move DBs between 2010 Beta and 2010 RC and 2010 RTM as there were DB schema changes.

Brian Day, Overall Exchange & AD Geek
    MCSA 2000/2003, CCNA
    MCTS: Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 Configuration
    LMNOP
    Friday, December 11, 2009 4:08 AM
  • No sorry im talking about production this is the only thread I could find on the matter. I read a few other threads off google but wanted to hear it from an expert.
    Friday, December 11, 2009 4:14 AM
  • Hi to all, i have been reading about this topic, and it seems to come close to my current dilemma or problem;

i currently have an exchange server 2007 which is up & running fine. I also currently have the option to install Exchange 2010 as we have the licenses for it.

I know in these previous topics it has been mentioned that it is ideal to install 2010 on a new server and move the mailboxes onto the newly installed server, however there are no plans on bringing a new server to install Exchange 2010 and so on.

i have been reading and searching for articles on how to maybe install 2010 in coexistence with 2007, but i am a bit confused on how this could turn out, are there any actual guidelines or actual step by step guides which can help me throughout this process.

I was actually thinking of installing 2010 in coexistence with 2007, move the storage groups to the 2010 exchange, and then start to decommision the 2007 exchange server.

If there is anyone that can help me out or give me some advice I would appreciate it alot!

Thanks again!

• Edited by edd080 Thursday, March 25, 2010 8:05 AM Edit
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 8:00 AM
  • Hi to all, i have been reading about this topic, and it seems to come close to my current dilemma or problem;

i currently have an exchange server 2007 which is up & running fine. I also currently have the option to install Exchange 2010 as we have the licenses for it.

I know in these previous topics it has been mentioned that it is idealto install 2010 on a new server and move the mailboxes onto the newly installed server, however there are no plans on bringing a new server to install Exchange 2010 and so on.

i have been reading and searching for articles on how to maybe install 2010 in coexistence with 2007, but i am a bit confused on how this could turn out, are there any actual guidelines or actual step by step guides which can help me throughout this process.

I was actually thinking of installing 2010 in coexistence with 2007, move the storage groups to the 2010 exchange, and then start to decommision the 2007 exchange server.

If there is anyone that can help me out or give me some advice I would appreciate it alot!

Thanks again!

but there is no storage groups in Exchange 2010
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 5:17 PM
  • edd080,

I'm in a similar situation. I too am looking for the best practice recommendation. Currently we have Exchange 2007 SP2 running in production along with an Edge Transport (also with exchange SP2 installed) in the DMZ. We are looking for the best "upgrade" process to get running on Exchange 2010. We wanted to take it just a step further.

We were thinking of installing Exchange 2010 on another machine (or VM, but I dont want to make more of a headache than necessary), move the mailboxes over, decommission our original Exchange 2007, rebuild our original server with Exchange 2010, and move the mailboxes back to our original hardware.

So that's one issue we wanted to know was possible. The second issue is what to do with the Edge Transport Server? Everyone talks about the Hub Transport but it seems everyone forgets about the Edge Transport like a poor step-child :( lol.

As edd080 mentioned, can anyone point us in the right direction with step by step guides, recommended procedure to get moved over to Exchange 2010, and insight on how to handle an Exchange environment that has an Edge Transport Server in the mix?

Thank you all in advance!

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 6:32 PM