Activesync event id 3033

Question

• We have a number of users connecting to Exchange 2003 SP2 mailaboxes using Activesync and various types of phones, including a few iPhone users.  Recently our number of iPhone and Droid users went from only a few to about 10.  Since then, we have had multiple instances of event id 3033 logged in the application log of the OWA server (we have front end/back end topology) - the messages appear hourly.  Also, our IIS logs are much larger than they used to be.

Obviously the new phones are generating many more connections than our older Windows mobile devices.  I have read the threads about making changes on the firewall to increase timeout settings (suggested by Microsoft kb 905013).  This has not made a big difference in our case.  I also read about a patch Apple has released for iOS 4.  Have not tried this yet.

Things had been working fine, until we added about 10 new phones - mix of iPhone and Droid.  I am perplexed.  Any suggestions anyone?

Thanks in advance.

lisa macdonald
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 4:11 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I suggest you set the four values (MinHeartbeatInterval, MaxHeartbeatInterval, HbiSampleSize, HbiAlertThreshold) to 0 in the following registry key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MasSync\Parameters

Here are detailed steps:

New a DWORD value, rename the name as “MinHeartbeatInterval”. Double click it and set the value as 0.

Also create other three values and set them as 0:

MaxHeartbeatInterval

HbiSampleSize

HbiAlertThreshold

After that, please restart IIS ADMIN Service, then monitor if the event 3033 still occur.

If the event still occur after the registry change, please confirm with me about the file version of the file Massync.dll. (To check the file version, go to the default installation folder C:\Program files\Exchsrvr\bin folder, find the file, and right click Properties, version, click file version in item names:, let me know the file version number.)

If the file version is lower than 6.5.7654.7, I recommend we install the hotfix 957191 to update the file.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;957191

In our resolved cases database, I found lots of similar case that the hotfix can fix the false positive event ID 3033.

Hope this helps. Thanks,

Elvis

• Marked as answer by Elvis Wei Wednesday, July 28, 2010 7:09 AM
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 6:03 AM

All replies

• Always post the complete event log entry.  Nobody present memorizes all event IDs.

Make sure that your iPhone and Droid users have configured their devices to sync "As items arrive" rather than on a schedule.
    --
    Ed Crowley MVP
    "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    "lisamacd" wrote in message news:7cac8052-f7a9-4a8d-904b-705f9569214e...

We have a number of users connecting to Exchange 2003 SP2 mailaboxes using Activesync and various types of phones, including a few iPhone users.  Recently our number of iPhone and Droid users went from only a few to about 10.  Since then, we have had multiple instances of event id 3033 logged in the application log of the OWA server (we have front end/back end topology) - the messages appear hourly.  Also, our IIS logs are much larger than they used to be.

Obviously the new phones are generating many more connections than our older Windows mobile devices.  I have read the threads about making changes on the firewall to increase timeout settings (suggested by Microsoft kb 905013).  This has not made a big difference in our case.  I also read about a patch Apple has released for iOS 4.  Have not tried this yet.

Things had been working fine, until we added about 10 new phones - mix of iPhone and Droid.  I am perplexed.  Any suggestions anyone?

Thanks in advance.

lisa macdonald

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 5:57 PM
  • Sorry about not posting the event.  I have copied it below.  And I will check in with the iPhone users about their configurations.

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: Server ActiveSync
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 3033
    Date:  7/20/2010
    Time:  9:30:02 AM
    User:  DOMAIN\USER
    Computer: SERVER
    Description:
    The average of the most recent [200] heartbeat intervals used by clients is less than or equal to [540].  Make sure that your firewall configuration is set to work correctly with Exchange ActiveSync and direct push technology. Specifically, make sure that your firewall is configured so that requests to Exchange ActiveSync do not expire before they have the opportunity to be processed.  For more information about how to configure firewall settings when using Exchange ActiveSync, see Microsoft Knowledge Base article 905013, "Enterprise Firewall Configuration for Exchange ActiveSync Direct Push Technology" (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=3052&kbid=905013).

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

lisamacd
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 6:36 PM
  • I've seen that error before, and my recollection is that it was related to problems with the configuration of the firewall as suggested in the referenced KB article.
    --
    Ed Crowley MVP
    "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    "lisamacd" wrote in message news:8b2893ab-ad31-4533-883a-b08c606f8e6c...

Sorry about not posting the event.  I have copied it below.  And I will check in with the iPhone users about their configurations.

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: Server ActiveSync
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 3033
    Date:  7/20/2010
    Time:  9:30:02 AM
    User:  DOMAIN\USER
    Computer: SERVER
    Description:
    The average of the most recent [200] heartbeat intervals used by clients is less than or equal to [540].  Make sure that your firewall configuration is set to work correctly with Exchange ActiveSync and direct push technology. Specifically, make sure that your firewall is configured so that requests to Exchange ActiveSync do not expire before they have the opportunity to be processed.  For more information about how to configure firewall settings when using Exchange ActiveSync, see Microsoft Knowledge Base article 905013, "Enterprise Firewall Configuration for Exchange ActiveSync Direct Push Technology" (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=3052&kbid=905013).

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

lisamacd

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 6:53 PM
  • Hi,

I suggest you set the four values (MinHeartbeatInterval, MaxHeartbeatInterval, HbiSampleSize, HbiAlertThreshold) to 0 in the following registry key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MasSync\Parameters

Here are detailed steps:

New a DWORD value, rename the name as “MinHeartbeatInterval”. Double click it and set the value as 0.

Also create other three values and set them as 0:

MaxHeartbeatInterval

HbiSampleSize

HbiAlertThreshold

After that, please restart IIS ADMIN Service, then monitor if the event 3033 still occur.

If the event still occur after the registry change, please confirm with me about the file version of the file Massync.dll. (To check the file version, go to the default installation folder C:\Program files\Exchsrvr\bin folder, find the file, and right click Properties, version, click file version in item names:, let me know the file version number.)

If the file version is lower than 6.5.7654.7, I recommend we install the hotfix 957191 to update the file.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;957191

In our resolved cases database, I found lots of similar case that the hotfix can fix the false positive event ID 3033.

Hope this helps. Thanks,

Elvis

• Marked as answer by Elvis Wei Wednesday, July 28, 2010 7:09 AM
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 6:03 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going? Any update on the issue?

Regards,

Elvis

Monday, July 26, 2010 6:51 AM