Play On Phone - INVITE sent from UM but responses are ignored RRS feed

• Question

•  

I'm trying to get the play on phone feature to work for voicemails in Outlook. Dialling into UM from a SIP phone gives no problems.

When pressing "Play On Phone", UM sends a SIP INVITE to the gateway from a random port, with a Contact Header of "CONTACT: <sip:um.fqdn:5065;transport=Tcp;maddr=10.10.10.10;ms-opaque=59b853e848a20e6a>;automata"

The SIP gateway (our own), correctly produces SIP 100 Trying, SIP 180 Ringing and SIP 200 OK messages during the call and sends these back to UM, but these reponses would appear to be ignored.

The only relevant Event Log entry reads:

An outbound call to "myphonenumber" could not be established. The selected outbound IP gateway "10.10.10.11" returned this error: "A SIP request has failed, but no response code was received.  The current operation is 'Opening'.  The session state is 'Disconnected'.  The remote participant is 'sip:myphonenymber@10.10.10.11;user=phone'.". The caller ID for this call was "myphonenumber". For help troubleshooting the SIP response error code that was specified in the event description, contact the vendors who support your IP gateway or IP PBX hardware. You can also run diagnostic tests on your IP gateway or IP PBX hardware to make sure that the devices are operating correctly. Additional information: "A SIP request has failed, but no response code was received.  The current operation is 'Opening'.  The session state is 'Disconnected'.  The remote participant is 'sip:myphonenumber@10.10.10.11;user=phone'."

I see the same behaviour regardless of whether the SIP responses are sent via a new TCP connection to the details shown in the CONTACT header, or back to the TCP connection (on a random port) that the request was received on.

Any pointers?

Many thanks.

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 2:48 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the response Kristina. I managed to resolve the issue this morning. It was twofold - the logging on the gateway indicated the responses being sent via the same TCP connection that the request was received on but they were actually being sent via a new connection to port 5065 (as per the Contact header) and were then being ignored.

Fixing the connection issue resolved the problem (fixing the log resolved my confusion). You can get me at john underscore whitley underscore uk at hotmail dot com if you need to chastise me. Sometimes I do need it!

Thanks.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 9:29 AM

All replies

• Do you have a network trace of this issue? Anywhere I can download the trace from, or where I can ping you via email?

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 8:31 PM
  • Thanks for the response Kristina. I managed to resolve the issue this morning. It was twofold - the logging on the gateway indicated the responses being sent via the same TCP connection that the request was received on but they were actually being sent via a new connection to port 5065 (as per the Contact header) and were then being ignored.

Fixing the connection issue resolved the problem (fixing the log resolved my confusion). You can get me at john underscore whitley underscore uk at hotmail dot com if you need to chastise me. Sometimes I do need it!

Thanks.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 9:29 AM
  • LOL! glad you got it fixed Smile

Thursday, November 20, 2008 6:31 PM