none
Cannot start MSExchangeRPC service RRS feed

• Question

• I can't start the MSExchangeRPC service in my 2010 installation. I've got a typical 2010 installation on a 2008R2 Hyper-V VM and it's also running as a DC so I can set up Exchange in a separate AD site in my current 2007 org.  I've looked through the App Logs and I can see an error 4 from 'MSExchange Configuration Cmdlet - Remote Management' with the following text

(PID 4040, Thread 6) Task Get-ActiveSyncVirtualDirectory writing error when processing record of index 0. Error: Microsoft.Exchange.Management.Metabase.IISGeneralCOMException: Unable to create IIS (Internet Information Service) directory entry. Error Message is: Access is denied.
    . HResult = -2147024891 ---> Microsoft.Exchange.Management.Metabase.COMDetailException: Access is denied.
    Directory Path: IIS://QuickSilver.MyDomain.Com/W3SVC/1/ROOT/Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync 
    Detail:
    server name: QuickSilver.MyDomain.Com
    local machine name: HERMES
    local machine fqdn: HERMES.MyDomain.Com ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80070005): Access is denied.

at System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.Bind(Boolean throwIfFail)
       at System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.Exists(String path)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Management.Metabase.IisUtility.CreateIISDirectoryEntry(String iisDirectoryEntryPath, TaskErrorLoggingDelegate writeError, Object identity)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

I'm also having problems viewing the CAS properties and I'm getting the following error that sounds like it could be related:

---------------------------
    Microsoft Exchange
    ---------------------------
    Unable to create IIS (Internet Information Service) directory entry. Error Message is: Access is denied.
    . HResult = -2147024891 It was running command 'get-ActiveSyncVirtualDirectory'.

Has anyone else seen this issue?

Thanks,
    Russ

Thursday, April 16, 2009 10:23 PM

Answers

• For the error: “Unable to create IIS (Internet Information Service) directory entry. Error Message is: Access is denied.. HResult = -2147024891 It was running command 'get-ActiveSyncVirtualDirectory'.

Bharani’s suggestion is the resolution for many similar cases. Please do this in the all exchange servers (Not just for CAS server) in the organization, including the exchange 2007 server. Then reboot the exchange 2010 CAS servers

Please check the issue again after you done the procedure above

• Marked as answer by Russ Pitcher Friday, April 17, 2009 1:22 PM
    Friday, April 17, 2009 10:24 AM
  • For error with CAS properties please add Exchange trusted subsystem group as local Administrator on all CAS servers.
    • Marked as answer by Russ Pitcher Friday, April 17, 2009 1:23 PM
    Friday, April 17, 2009 9:15 AM

All replies

• I believe in this build if you have MBX and CAS on the same box, the service will not start.

Try creating this key then restart MSExchangeIS and MSExchangeRPC. Please report back if it works because I don't remember if this key was in the beta build.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIS\ParametersSystem]

"Mapi Rpc Endpoint Registration"=dword:00000002

Brian Day / MCSA / CCNA, Exchange/AD geek.
    Friday, April 17, 2009 12:26 AM
  • Thanks for the help, but it didn't fix it. I can now see a 1004 ID in the App log with the message:

Shutting down MSExchangeRPC service because this is a Mailbox Role installation.

It seems like you're right about this build.

Thanks.

Friday, April 17, 2009 8:31 AM
  • For error with CAS properties please add Exchange trusted subsystem group as local Administrator on all CAS servers.
    • Marked as answer by Russ Pitcher Friday, April 17, 2009 1:23 PM
    Friday, April 17, 2009 9:15 AM
  • As this servers is acting as a DC as well I've checked the Administrators group of the domain and the Exchange Trusted Subsystem group is already in there.

Do you think that this could be an issue with running Ex2010 on a DC.  I know this is poor practice, but it's only a test system and I've got limited resources and I'm not sure I can squeeze another separate DC into my Hyper-V environment :)

Thanks,
    Russ

Friday, April 17, 2009 10:13 AM
  • For the error: “Unable to create IIS (Internet Information Service) directory entry. Error Message is: Access is denied.. HResult = -2147024891 It was running command 'get-ActiveSyncVirtualDirectory'.

Bharani’s suggestion is the resolution for many similar cases. Please do this in the all exchange servers (Not just for CAS server) in the organization, including the exchange 2007 server. Then reboot the exchange 2010 CAS servers

Please check the issue again after you done the procedure above

• Marked as answer by Russ Pitcher Friday, April 17, 2009 1:22 PM
    Friday, April 17, 2009 10:24 AM
  • Aha!  That did the trick for the CAS errors and I can now see the CAS folders.  Thanks a lot for your help guys.

Russ
    Friday, April 17, 2009 1:23 PM
  • J Glad to help

Monday, April 20, 2009 1:12 AM
  • I believe in this build if you have MBX and CAS on the same box, the service will not start.

Try creating this key then restart MSExchangeIS and MSExchangeRPC. Please report back if it works because I don't remember if this key was in the beta build.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIS\ParametersSystem]

"Mapi Rpc Endpoint Registration"=dword:00000002

Brian Day / MCSA / CCNA, Exchange/AD geek.

Hi Brian. I'm afraid I have the same problem and have added the above registry key to no avail. The MSExchangeRPC service starts and then immediately stops.
    Am I correct in thinking that MSExchangeRPC is the service which provides MAPI/RPC access to clients, i.e. without this MAPI/RPC (TCP/IP) clients cannot connect, but RPC-HTTP clients can?

Any more tips for fixing it?

cheers,
    Carl
    Monday, April 20, 2009 8:44 PM
  • When running the CAS and MBX roles on the same machine, what you see is expected behaviour. To utilize the new RPC Client Access Service, you should make sure the MBX role isn't installed on a machine also running the CAS role.

This is corrected in a later build.

Henrik Walther Exchange MVP | MCM: E2K7 | MCITP: EMA/EA | MCSE: M+S - MSExchange.org
    Monday, April 20, 2009 9:18 PM
  • When running the CAS and MBX roles on the same machine, what you see is expected behaviour. To utilize the new RPC Client Access Service, you should make sure the MBX role isn't installed on a machine also running the CAS role.

This is corrected in a later build.

Henrik Walther Exchange MVP | MCM: E2K7 | MCITP: EMA/EA | MCSE: M+S - MSExchange.org

Hello Henrik. Thanks for replying.

Please excuse my ignorance - I am very new to Exchange 2007 & 2010. Are you saying that in order to support MAPI/RPC clients, one needs to have the Exchange services split over more than one server, i.e. with the Mailbox role on a separate server? Is a single server not able to provide the full feature set to all clients any more?

I can see that I have OWA working, Exchange ActiveSync is working, and my RPC/HTTP clients are working, but my MAPI/RPC clients are not working.

thanks for your time
    regards,
    Carl
    Monday, April 20, 2009 10:09 PM
  • Carl Please add the following key along with RPC end point registration key and try to start the service.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeRPC\ParametersSystem]

"ExecutionFlags"=dword:00000002

This is a known issue and will be fixed. Exchange 2010 roles can be installed on the same physical server and MAPI/RPC clients will work normally.

Tuesday, April 21, 2009 3:13 AM
  • Please excuse my ignorance - I am very new to Exchange 2007 & 2010. Are you saying that in order to support MAPI/RPC clients, one needs to have the Exchange services split over more than one server, i.e. with the Mailbox role on a separate server? Is a single server not able to provide the full feature set to all clients any more?

No that's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that what you see is expected behaviour in the beta 1 release.

As I mentioned it is fixed in a later build.

Tuesday, April 21, 2009 5:08 AM
  • Ah, that's good. I wasn't sure if by fixed you meant that the installer or EMC made it clear that MSExchangeRPC needed to be on a separate server. Thanks for clarifying.

Bharani, I will try what you have suggested, thanks very much.
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 7:07 AM
  • That's got the MSExchangeRPC service running as well.  Thanks again!
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 8:45 AM
  • Carl Please add the following key along with RPC end point registration key and try to start the service.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeRPC\ParametersSystem]

"ExecutionFlags"=dword:00000002

This is a known issue and will be fixed. Exchange 2010 roles can be installed on the same physical server and MAPI/RPC clients will work normally.

That's worked a treat, thank you. My Outlook 2007 client can connect via MAPI/RPC now.
    My Outlook 2003 client cannot, which I think is a Public Folder issue. I am in a mixed Exchange 2003 / 2010 domain. I'll keep playing. Thanks for the above.
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 9:05 AM
  • MAPI/RPC still doesn't seem to work properly.

With the above two registry entries, the MSExchangeRPC service starts, but Outlook 2003 doesn't work - Exchange server unavailable. The mailbox name resolves during account setup but that's all.

This is now a flattened and newly installed server, in its own domain..

Any ideas? How can I debug? I didn't notice anything relating to MSExchangeRPC within the diagnostic logging settings.

thanks,
    Carl
    Friday, April 24, 2009 10:38 PM
  • OK I have mostly narrowed it down, but I have to leave the computer for now.
    The two registry fixes in this thread allow the MSExchangeRPC service to start, and allow Outlook 2007 to work in MAPI/RPC mode, but they do not allow Public Folder access via MAPI/RPC, which means Outlook 2007 can't see public folders and Outlook 2003 doesn't work at all.
    I am not sure if the registry fixes break Public Folder access for all clients, or if they only half-fix MAPI/RPC - i.e. they allow mailbox access via MAPI/RPC but not PF, and have no effect on RPC/HTTP. I can't play with this any more today.

Any ideas? Known issue?
    cheers,
    Carl
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 9:15 PM
  • Hello Carl,

Outlook 2007 client directly communicates to Exchange 2010 Mailbox server for public folder access. In other words it will not use MSExchnageRPC service to proxy the requests for Public folder access. MSExchangeRPC service is only for Mailbox access. Do you have a replica of Public folders on Exchnage 2010 servers?

Thanks
    BHarani
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 6:26 AM
  • Hello Carl,

Outlook 2007 client directly communicates to Exchange 2010 Mailbox server for public folder access. In other words it will not use MSExchnageRPC service to proxy the requests for Public folder access. MSExchangeRPC service is only for Mailbox access. Do you have a replica of Public folders on Exchnage 2010 servers?

Thanks
    BHarani
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 6:27 AM
  • Hi Bharani. This is a clean single-server new domain install, i.e. everything is new and single, no other servers to replicate with.
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 6:34 AM
  • Hello Carl,

Thanks
    BHarani
    Hi Bharani. According to Joel, this is a known issue in the public beta. See here.
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 6:43 AM
  • Hello Carl,

Thanks
    BHarani

Not completely correct. You see although you will connect directly to the MBX for PF connections (service  level), the RPC Client Access Service on this server will still be answering the RPC endpoint.

This little detail is important.

Henrik Walther | MVP: Exchange | MCM: Exchange 2007 | MSExchange.org
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 7:50 AM
  • Hello Carl,

Thanks
    BHarani

Not completely correct. You see although you will connect directly to the MBX for PF connections (service  level), the RPC Client Access Service on the CAS will still be answering the RPC endpoint.

Hello Henrik,

Are you saying that MAPI clients will not have direct connection to Mailbox servers for Public folder access?

Thanks
    Bharani
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 2:35 PM
  • Hello Carl,

Thanks
    BHarani

Not completely correct. You see although you will connect directly to the MBX for PF connections (service  level), the RPC Client Access Service on the CAS will still be answering the RPC endpoint.

Hello Henrik,

Are you saying that MAPI clients will not have direct connection to Mailbox servers for Public folder access?

Thanks
    Bharani

An Outlook client will, at the service level, connect to the MBX server for PF access, but the RPC Client Access service will answer the RPC endpoint.

BTW I corrected my first reply slightly as I mentioned that it will use the RPC CLient Access service on the CAS. Sorry what I meant was the RPC CLient Access service on the MBX.

Sunday, April 26, 2009 6:50 PM
  • Henrik,  Thank you for the clarification.
    Monday, April 27, 2009 3:02 PM
  • You're welcome :)

Monday, April 27, 2009 3:10 PM
  • Hi Carl and Henrik,

I have also installed Exchange 2010 MBX/HUB/Client on same server and it was running fine. I didn't get any problem in accessing the mailbox from MS Outlook 2007. RPC Services was also working.

As per Microsoft, we should install the all roles on seprate server and all related service will run on that server only. I have a lab setup of Win 2008 DC, Hub/Client on Win 2008, two exchange mailbox server on Win2008 and I show all related services are running on that server only.

I am very new in doing troubleshoting on Exchange Server. After configuring the above setup, I tried to access the mailbox of users as well as administrator also but I got the below problem and not able to access the mailbox via MS Outlook 2007.

Check my thread here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchange2010/thread/c491c5c7-7d6f-48ff-97fa-6bf83d94e53c

and please help me to solve this problem.

Here lot of person also asked the same question but I didn't see the answers.

But one think noticed on Hub/Client server, there are firewall enabled on this server which is by default as other server. When I tried to ping this server through mailbox server or Domain Controller I am not able to ping this server. But I am able to ping all other servers and client to each other. I disabled the firewall and tried to access the mailbox but I couldn't help. Firewall should be not a problem as other servers have enable this option and it should be enabled by default. This was just my suspicion.

I am trying to get the log error but there are not any error found on the Hub/Client server, work staion or Mailbox server.

Right now I am stuck here and don't know how to solve thi.

Thanks and Regards
    Shambhu Sharma
    Monday, June 22, 2009 4:07 PM
  • I have added both of these DWord registry entries as you've indicated in this thread and my MSExchangeRPC server is still not able to start.  The event information states it shutdown this service because this is a mailbox role installation.  I created these both as New, Dword (32-bit) keys in the appropriate place.  Should they have been created using the QWord (64-bit) value?  Also, I just typed in 00000002 as the value and left it the default of hexidecimal....should it have been otherwise?  Please clarify for this non-OS person who is also very new to Exchange and struggling through this process.  Thanks!

Monday, July 27, 2009 2:48 PM
  • This has been resolved.  I needed to put one of the registry entries in a subfolder ParametersSystem which did not exist.  Once I created it and put it where it belonged, now this service loads and my Outlook clients can login.  Thanks!
    Friday, July 31, 2009 7:08 PM