none
Windows 10 Event ID 8013 The system failed to register pointer (PTR) resource records (RRs) for network adapter RRS feed

• Question

• Hi has anyone experienced/resolved this error before? I found this DNS error and thought it could be related to why my Network isn't being detected by Windows NLA as a Domain Network and instead comes up as a Public Network.

Any help in resolving this error is greatly appreciated.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

The system failed to register pointer (PTR) resource records (RRs) for network adapter 

with settings: 

Adapter Name : {63EA2D1-1278-41F1-8B34-F7C168AD5C05} 

Host Name : ITE17005 

Adapter-specific Domain Suffix : CONTOSO.COM 

DNS server list : 

10.20.10.3, 10.20.10.6, 10.120.10.9 

Sent update to server : <?> 

IP Address : 

The reason that the system could not register these RRs was because of a security related problem. The cause of this could be (a) your computer does not have permissions to register and update the specific DNS domain name set for this adapter, or (b) there might have been a problem negotiating valid credentials with the DNS server during the processing of the update request. 

You can manually retry DNS registration of the network adapter and its settings by typing 'ipconfig /registerdns' at the command prompt. If problems still persist, contact your DNS server or network systems administrator. 

_________________________________________________________________________________

Friday, December 6, 2019 5:40 AM

Answers

• Hi ,

>>my Network isn't being detected by Windows NLA as a Domain Network and instead comes up as a Public Network.

You might try to change registry to do a test. Change the value to 2.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles\

Open the network profile that you have to change and modify the "Category" value:

0 = public

1 = private

2 = domain

For your reference:

Domain Network turns to Public

>>The system failed to register pointer (PTR) resource records (RRs) for network adapter 

For the error message about failed to register pointer (PTR) records, did you create the reverse lookup zone 249.60.10.in-addr.arpa for record 10.60.249.137?

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

• Marked as answer by SCCM Wannabe Monday, December 16, 2019 5:57 AM
    Friday, December 6, 2019 8:36 AM

All replies

• Hi ,

>>my Network isn't being detected by Windows NLA as a Domain Network and instead comes up as a Public Network.

You might try to change registry to do a test. Change the value to 2.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles\

Open the network profile that you have to change and modify the "Category" value:

0 = public

1 = private

2 = domain

For your reference:

Domain Network turns to Public

>>The system failed to register pointer (PTR) resource records (RRs) for network adapter 

For the error message about failed to register pointer (PTR) records, did you create the reverse lookup zone 249.60.10.in-addr.arpa for record 10.60.249.137?

Best Regards,

Candy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

• Marked as answer by SCCM Wannabe Monday, December 16, 2019 5:57 AM
    Friday, December 6, 2019 8:36 AM
  • Hmmm actually I just did some trouble shooting and found that my Direct Access Certificate had expired I think that could be the cause of the of the NLA Domain Network issues. I'll try resolve that before changing the registry.

And yes I do have a reverse lookup zone created.

Thanks!

Friday, December 6, 2019 8:57 AM
  • Hi ,

>>Hmmm actually I just did some trouble shooting and found that my Direct Access Certificate had expired I think that could be the cause of the of the NLA Domain Network issues. I'll try resolve that before changing the registry.

Just want to confirm the current situations.

>>And yes I do have a reverse lookup zone created.

Please run ipconfig /registerdns to register DNS. If it still doesn't work, as a workaround, you may manually create the PTR record in the reverse lookup zone. 

Best Regards,

Candy

Monday, December 9, 2019 4:04 AM

• Hi ,

Did you have any updates on this question?    

Best Regards,

Candy

Tuesday, December 10, 2019 6:12 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.                  

Best Regards,

Candy

Thursday, December 12, 2019 1:30 AM
  • Hi,

I'm wondering if renewing your Direct Access Certificate fixed this issue.

Thanks,

Dan

Tuesday, January 21, 2020 5:46 PM