none
Connect New Users to Old Mailbox RRS feed

• Question

• This is what I did and need help with.

I have SBS 2011 running Exchange. I had to restore from an old backup but before I did, I saved the Exchange mailbox database to another drive.

After the restore, I dismounted the mailbox from the old backup. I set it to allow database to be overwritten by a restore. I then deleted the files in the database folder and copied over the Exchange database that I saved from the other drive. Everything worked fine except, I had to re-create some users that I added after the old backup was done. When I check the email from the new users, none of their mail shows up in OWA. How do I re-connect them to their mail in the mailbox database?

Thanks

Sunday, August 7, 2011 4:18 AM

All replies

• Hi,

As you restored old backup in server, you will have old emails till you have restored databse. Do you have still new log files which was created since you had took backp, If yes then you can try to replay those log files in restoreation time and then check.

Anil MCC 2011,ITIL V3,MCSA 2003,MCTS 2010, My Blog : http://messagingschool.wordpress.com
    Sunday, August 7, 2011 5:21 AM
  • Hi,

As you restored old backup in server, you will have old emails till you have restored databse. Do you have still new log files which was created since you had took backp, If yes then you can try to replay those log files in restoreation time and then check.

Anil MCC 2011,ITIL V3,MCSA 2003,MCTS 2010, My Blog : http://messagingschool.wordpress.com

I completely deleted all files in the restored mailbox directory and copied over all files from the newer mailbox database. Database and log files. All the users that already had accounts in AD were fine. It's the account that I had to re-create that cannot get their mail from the newer mailbox database. Those accounts to not exist in the older backup but they do exist in the newer mailbox database.

Sunday, August 7, 2011 2:21 PM
  • Hi,

You can put your question in SBS server support forum to get some reply:

For your convenience:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/sbsserver

Best Regards!
    Monday, August 8, 2011 6:08 AM
  • It's really an Exchange question.
    Monday, August 8, 2011 4:07 PM
  • ok so just to be clear

1. You had to restore the Exchange Database from an old backup but before you did the restore you saved the Exchange mailbox database to another drive, correct?  if so what files did you copy off to the alternate drive?
    2. What was the purpose of doing the restore of the old Exchange database?
    3. After the restore of the OLD database, you dismounted the mailbox from the old backup, deleted the files in the database folder and copied over the Exchange database that you saved from the other drive, correct?  One major issue I see here is that any new data, i.e. inbound outbound emails, appointments etc that took place while the old database was online were recorded into the old database and if you deleted the database and supporting files then that data is gone
    4. You say that you had to recreate some users after the old backup was done?  Please explain, i.e. do you mean that after you recovered the old Exchange database that some users were not there?  If so sounds like you rolled back AD as part of the recovery process?

Troy Werelius
    www.Lucid8.com
    Search, Recover, & Extract Mailboxes, Folders, & Email Items from Offline EDB's and Live Exchange Servers with Lucid8's DigiScope

Here's what happened. I had some problems on the SBS server where I needed to restore from backup. I backup twice daily. The backup HD was not showing up when I inserted the SBS DVD to restore. I had to grab a 2 week old backup that I had on a eSATA drive. The only thing that I knew I was worried about was the mailbox database. So, I disconnected the mailbox database and copied the content of the mailbox database folder to another drive. That way after I restored the older recovery, I would just replace the older mailbox database with the most recent mailbox database. It worked fine for the users that were already in AD from the older backup. I had some new users that got added since the older backup was done and they had mailboxes in the most recent mailbox database but not in AD. So I re-created those users hoping they would still have access to their mailboxes, but they don't.

My question, how can I re-connect the newly added users to their mailboxes inside the mailbox database?

Thanks

Monday, August 8, 2011 4:45 PM