none
Help with 14029-Couldn't find public folder server with a replica for the free/busy folder

Question

• I just cutover to EX10 today from EX03.  I used the Exchange Server Deployment Assistant and followed all the steps.  Presently I have a single EX10 server with all mailboxes, and the EX03 server, still online, no user mailboxes.

I'm getting an error 14029 from MSExchangeMailboxAssistants:
    "Couldn't find an Exchange 2010 or later public folder server with a replica for the free/busy folder: EX:/O=<Org name>/OU=FIRST ADMINISTRATIVE GROUP."

I'm also occasionally getting 1021 from MSExchangeFDS:
    "Process MSExchangeFDS.exe (PID=3016). Could not find directory \\COPPER\ExchangeOAB\72219523-ca8d-4880-af61-c3b733875770. This is normal if it has never been generated. Otherwise, make sure this directory and share has read permission for "Exchange Servers" group. "

What I've checked:
    -In Organization Config > Mailbox > Database Management, I see the Public Folder database.  It's mounted, and shows the new server name across the board.

-Following some troubleshooting in another thread, I went to check the folder "c:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\ExchangeOAB", but I have no ExchangeOAB folder.

-At Organization Config > Mailbox > Offline Address Book tab, I see Default Offline Address list.  The new server is listed as the Generation Server.  Default OAB is Trye; Dist. Mechanism is Web-Based and Public Folders.

For what it's worth, we don't have any public folders, the only thing in there is Internet Newsgroups.  I am not aware of any issues at the moment other than the error that's repeatedly appearing.  I'd like to get it cleaned up.

Thank you (in advance) for any suggestions.

MCITP Enterprise Admin/Server Admin, MCSE NT, 2000, 2003
    Tuesday, March 8, 2011 2:56 AM

Answers

• Not sure what the problem is but here list to check regarding OAB and public folders.  May help.  My guess is that you may be need to do steps 5-7

1) Configure the OAB and Web services VD’s. Configure the external URL for the OAB

Set-OABVirtualDirectory –Identity “myserver\OAB (default Web Site)” –ExternalUrl https://mail.mycompany.com/OAB

2) Verify that SSL is not enabled for OAB virtual directory (KB951576)

3) Move OAB generation to Exchange 2010
    a. In the Console tree, navigate to Organization Configuration > Mailbox
    b. In the Result pane, click the Offline Address Book tab, and then select the OAB for which you want to move the generation to a new server
    c. In the Actions pane, click Move.
    d. On the Move Offline Address Book page, click Browse to select myserver and then click OK
    e. Click Move to move the OAB generation process to the selected server
    f. On the Completion page, verify that the operation completed successfully. Click Finish
    g. In the Actions pane, click Properties. On the Distribution tab, select the Enable Web-based distribution and the Enable public folder distribution check boxes

4) Verify replicas that you created.

Get-PublicFolder -Recurse | Format-List Name,Replicas
    Get-PublicFolder \NON_IPM_SUBTREE | Format-List Name,Replicas

5) Move legacy public folder content to the 2010 public folder database
    a. From Exchange 2003, open the ESM and select the Public Folder Database
    b. Right click object and select Move All Replicas
    c. Select the 2010 Public Folder Database and click OK
    • Note: This can take several hours

6) Delete legacy public folder store from 03 box
    a. Expand the public folder store and select Public Folder Instances
    b. If the detail pane is empty for the public Folder instances, then we can safely remove the public folder store from 2003.
    • Note: Exchange 2003 SP2 will prevent removing the public folder store until all public folder replicas have completed the move process
    c. In the dialog box notifying that the public folder store is the default store for one or more mailbox stores or user, click OK and select your new exchange box

7) Move the public folder hierarchy
    a. From Exchange 2003, open the ESM, expand the Administrative Groups
    b. Right click the Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT), select New and choose Public Folders Container
    c. Expand the old First Administrative Group, expand Folders
    d. Drag the Public Folders to Folders under Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDL)

• Proposed as answer by Anil K Singh Thursday, March 10, 2011 4:13 PM
    • Marked as answer by Novak Wu Monday, March 14, 2011 2:37 AM
    Tuesday, March 8, 2011 10:28 PM

All replies

• Anil, thanks for posting.  I went through that thread prior to starting this thread.  All the various things seem to show that the replicas exist on both servers and everything's fine, so I just don't understand why the error continues.
    Tuesday, March 8, 2011 3:40 AM
  • Guys, I spent countless hours on this over the last day and a half and I have made ZERO progress.  I've googled this error to death, tried everything, it just doesn't make sense.  I get the error every 15 minutes.  Some info below:

Get-PublicFolderStatistics

Name                                     ItemCount

----                                     ---------

EX:/O=<ORGNAME>/OU=EXTERNAL          ... 0

EX:/o=<OrgName>/ou=Exchange          ... 0

EX:/o=<OrgName>/ou=Exchange          ... 0

Default                                  0

EX:/o=<OrgName>/ou=First Adm         ... 46

EX:/o=<OrgName>/ou=First Adm         ... 0

exchangeV1                               441

globalevents                             0

internal                                 0

OAB Version 2                            0

OAB Version 3a                           0

OAB Version 4                            5

OWAScratchPad{261A5163-D1CF-44E3-8EB9... 0

StoreEvents{261A5163-D1CF-44E3-8EB9-6... 0

/o=<OrgName>/cn=addrlists/cn... 0

Internet Newsgroups                      0

Get-PublicFolder "\non_ipm_subtree\schedule+ free busy" -recurse |fl name,*rep*

Name                           : SCHEDULE+ FREE BUSY

LocalReplicaAgeLimit           :

Replicas                       : {}

ReplicationSchedule            : {}

UseDatabaseReplicationSchedule : True

Name                           : EX:/o=<OrgName>/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)

Replicas                       : {Public Folder Database 0272028528}

Name                           : EX:/O=<ORGNAME>/OU=EXTERNAL (FYDIBOHF25SPDLT)

Replicas                       : {Public Folder Database 0272028528}

Name                           : EX:/o=<OrgName>/ou=First Administrative Group

Replicas                       : {Public Folder Database 0272028528, EX03\First Storage Group\Public Folder Store (EX03)}

I don't know what else to do with this.  I want to pull the plug on the EX03 box and this is literally the last thing preventing me from doing it.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011 8:35 PM
  • Not sure what the problem is but here list to check regarding OAB and public folders.  May help.  My guess is that you may be need to do steps 5-7

1) Configure the OAB and Web services VD’s. Configure the external URL for the OAB

Set-OABVirtualDirectory –Identity “myserver\OAB (default Web Site)” –ExternalUrl https://mail.mycompany.com/OAB

2) Verify that SSL is not enabled for OAB virtual directory (KB951576)

3) Move OAB generation to Exchange 2010
    a. In the Console tree, navigate to Organization Configuration > Mailbox
    b. In the Result pane, click the Offline Address Book tab, and then select the OAB for which you want to move the generation to a new server
    c. In the Actions pane, click Move.
    d. On the Move Offline Address Book page, click Browse to select myserver and then click OK
    e. Click Move to move the OAB generation process to the selected server
    f. On the Completion page, verify that the operation completed successfully. Click Finish
    g. In the Actions pane, click Properties. On the Distribution tab, select the Enable Web-based distribution and the Enable public folder distribution check boxes

4) Verify replicas that you created.

Get-PublicFolder -Recurse | Format-List Name,Replicas
    Get-PublicFolder \NON_IPM_SUBTREE | Format-List Name,Replicas

5) Move legacy public folder content to the 2010 public folder database
    a. From Exchange 2003, open the ESM and select the Public Folder Database
    b. Right click object and select Move All Replicas
    c. Select the 2010 Public Folder Database and click OK
    • Note: This can take several hours

6) Delete legacy public folder store from 03 box
    a. Expand the public folder store and select Public Folder Instances
    b. If the detail pane is empty for the public Folder instances, then we can safely remove the public folder store from 2003.
    • Note: Exchange 2003 SP2 will prevent removing the public folder store until all public folder replicas have completed the move process
    c. In the dialog box notifying that the public folder store is the default store for one or more mailbox stores or user, click OK and select your new exchange box

7) Move the public folder hierarchy
    a. From Exchange 2003, open the ESM, expand the Administrative Groups
    b. Right click the Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT), select New and choose Public Folders Container
    c. Expand the old First Administrative Group, expand Folders
    d. Drag the Public Folders to Folders under Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDL)

• Proposed as answer by Anil K Singh Thursday, March 10, 2011 4:13 PM
    • Marked as answer by Novak Wu Monday, March 14, 2011 2:37 AM
    Tuesday, March 8, 2011 10:28 PM
  • btenney, thanks for the response.  I did the steps, still no good.  I guess I have no choice but to call MS on this one.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 2:12 PM
  • About 12 hours after doing Steps 5-7 in the post above, the 14029 errors mysteriously ceased.  They went from one every 15 minutes to nothing in the last 8 hours.  I late realized that at 3am a replication is scheduled to run.  Had I ran this manually earlier, I guess the errors may have cleared up sooner.

Thanks all for your help.  No idea what the issue was here but hopefully it's gone.

Thursday, March 10, 2011 3:47 PM
  • How is thing going on? Is everything working fine now? If there is any error message, please feel free to post it here.

Thanks,

Novak

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, March 11, 2011 2:54 AM
  • Working great now, thanks!
    Friday, March 11, 2011 3:01 AM