Linked Mailbox to User Mailbox after AD account migration RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

First off I'm not an Exchange admin so keep it simple please :-)

Here's our scenario; Our Exchange 2007 organisation is in AD "Forest A" as our most of our users. We took over an organisation who had their own Forest, "Forest B". They didn't have exchange so we created a forest level trust between the 2 forests and created linked mailboxes for them. When creating linked mailboxes disabled accounts were automatically created for them in a child domain of "Forest A".

Over the summer a migration was done to move to a single forest, "Forest A". The disabled user accounts in the child domain of  "Forest A" were enabled and the users are now logging on to these accounts for access to all domain resources, including exchange. We now wish to remove "Forest B".  However in the Exchange console all the mailboxes are still linked mailboxes. I imagine I could get rid of this by disconnecting all the mailboxes from the AD accounts then reconnecting them as standard user accounts. However our Exchange admin is not keen to do this (as I said at the start I'm not exchange admin). His advice is to just remove the forest. So the question is; if we simply remove "Forest B" will there be any adverse effects apart from that the mailboxes will still show as linked mailboxes? Can we correct this by changing the AD "attribute RecipientTypeDetails" as I've seen in other posts?

Thanks

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 12:31 PM

Answers

• Contact exchange Admin. He can probably make simple script, which will connect "linked" mailbox to real user. If you remove forest B, at the end there will be bunch of disconnected mailboxes, and Exchange Administrator will have weary stressful night, especially if there is a lot of linked mailboxes.

• Marked as answer by Serena Li Monday, November 22, 2010 2:15 AM
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 9:12 PM
  • I agree, make him/her as a friend and the situation will be OK

That shouldn't be a very hard job for him to  complete

Jonas Andersson MCTS: Microsoft Exchange Server 2007/2010 | MCITP: EMA 2007/2010 | MCSE/MCSA Blog: http://www.testlabs.se/blog
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 11:59 AM

All replies

• Hi

I would advise you to deal with the linked mailboxes and plan for it

For converting them from linked mailboxes to "normal" mailboxes they need to be disconnected and connect them to the user account in the Forest A / Domain A

Maybe I misunderstood something? Please correct me if that's the case

Jonas Andersson MCTS: Microsoft Exchange Server 2007/2010 | MCITP: EMA 2007/2010 | MCSE/MCSA Blog: http://www.testlabs.se/blog
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 3:34 PM
  • Hi Jonas,

Thanks for your response. I agree that the best course of action would be to disconnect all the linked mailboxes and connect them directly to the existing accounts in the child domain of Forest A so they become "user mailboxes".

Unfortunately company politics is getting in the way! As I'm not the exchange admin for the company I don't have the authority to do this. It is however my responsibilty to remove Forest A. If I remove the forest now without doing this will there be any adverse effects? Can our Exchange admin disconnect then connect the mailboxes to the correct accounts at a later date?

Any advise much appreciated!

Thanks

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 10:42 AM
  • Contact exchange Admin. He can probably make simple script, which will connect "linked" mailbox to real user. If you remove forest B, at the end there will be bunch of disconnected mailboxes, and Exchange Administrator will have weary stressful night, especially if there is a lot of linked mailboxes.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 9:12 PM
  • I agree, make him/her as a friend and the situation will be OK

That shouldn't be a very hard job for him to  complete

Thursday, November 18, 2010 11:59 AM