none
Exchange 2010 behind a Linux mail server

Question

• I have successfully setup a test install of Exchange 2010 beta behind a Linux mail server.   Some users on the Linux server are setup so that a copy of all their emails is forwarded to the Exchange server as well.  This gives them the option to use the Linux server or the Exchange server to process their email.  This seems to work well.  Except for one problem.

When an Exchange user sends an email the system tries to lookup the user on the Exchange machine, and fails.  Users on both systems have the emails address with the same domain.  e.g:  user@contoso.com.  The exchange server is configured to accept emails for exchange.contoso.com and contoso.com

I would like to setup the Exchange server so that it always relays the emails for contoso.com and be authoritative only for exchange.contoso.com.  I have tried many things, but have not been able to figure out a way to do this. 

Any hints on how to do this would be greatly appeciated.  Thanks.
    Tuesday, June 09, 2009 10:58 AM

All replies

• You need to configure contoso.com domain as an Accepted Internal Relay domain and create a send connector for contoso.com address space so when Exchange user tries to send email to user@contoso.com and couldn't find on Exchange environment, it forwards email to the smarthost for linux environment.

Refer below guide for further detail to share same address space contoso.com between Exchange and Linux... 

Configure Exchange 2010 to Route Messages for a Shared Address Space

Amit Tank | MVP – Exchange Server | MCITP: EMA | MCSA: M | http://ExchangeShare.WordPress.com RSS

Tuesday, June 09, 2009 12:34 PM
  • Thanks.

This does the trick!  Woohoo.

It misses only one minor detail.  If the user exists in the local mailbox, mail does not go to the external server.  I would like for it to send all email outside, even if the user exists in the local database.  Can this be done?

Thanks again.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 9:39 AM
  • Dear Portlander,

Could you please tell me how to install of Exchange 2010 beta behind a Linux mail server step by step.

E-mail:chandrasekhara@sathguru.com

Thanks,
    A.Chandra Sekhar
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 11:17 AM
  • I also setup exchange server 2010 beind the postfix. Users on both email system have same email address  User@contoso.com. I would like to send undeleviered email to my Novell Groupwise if the user is not exists on exchange server. Is it possible ? I am forwarding all my in comming email on exchange server.

Friday, August 14, 2009 5:48 AM
  • Refer the aritcle for step by step procedure to forward unresolved recipient from Exchange 2010 to Linux...

Configure Exchange 2010 to Route Messages for a Shared Address Space

Amit Tank | MVP – Exchange Server | MCITP: EMA | MCSA: M | http://ExchangeShare.WordPress.com

Friday, August 14, 2009 7:58 AM
  • Hi, I m new to exchange server 2010. I working as system administrator in IT firm. I want to configure Exchange 2k10 behind My lie linux mail server. I have installed Exchange server on a hardware and not able to send and receive mails from Linux too. Can help me with setup documentation or procedure please. I will be very helpful to you. Thank you in advance.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 3:55 PM
  • Hello Amit,

Could you provide me the link for ..

"step by step procedure to forward unresolved recipient from Exchange 2010 to Linux..."

Exchange Queries
    Sunday, February 05, 2012 5:58 AM