SQL 2019 Fails to Start - Error 17051 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a fairly significant set of issues that I cannot figure out how to resolve that has brought down a bunch of systems. A windows update occurred and the SQL 2019 RC1 server rebooted itself (do not believe that this error is related just coincidental).

This error indicates that the SQL Server evaluation period has expired. Upon reviewing the startup logs this concurs with my belief:

undefined

I am confused about why I am running into this issue as I am running a developer version of SQL and not the evaluation version but none the less it currently appears to be a problem.

To attempt to resolve this issue I have done the following:

1. Attempted to do an edition upgrade and set everything back to developer and the process ran and completed successfully but the service will still not start.
    2. Attempted to upgrade editions to a licensed version of SQL (which I do also own) and I cannot complete the upgrade because the SQL server is not running.
    3. I attempted to follow instructions to turn back the computer time and set common files registry entry to "3" in an attempt to trick it into being active so that I could upgrade. My system automatically reverts the time back to the standard time almost immediately.
      1. Attempted to turn off network connection to disable time sync
      2. Defaulted the time settings for windows
      3. Unjoined the server from the domain thinking GPO might be interfering

This system MUST be restored. Any ideas you have on how to get it back up and running again would be seriously appreciated!

• Moved by Tom Phillips Friday, August 7, 2020 5:33 PM Upgrade question
    Friday, August 7, 2020 5:18 PM

Answers

• Thanks all!

I was finally able to get the system date/time switched out and in combination with the registry adjustments was able to get the SQL Server and once again turn on. After that the standard upgrade to the enterprise edition completed without any further issues. The problem is now resolved!

Thank you all for your helpful input and advice.

• Marked as answer by JordanReich Saturday, August 8, 2020 4:01 AM
    Saturday, August 8, 2020 4:01 AM

All replies

• You are running the "RC1" version, which is a "Release Candidate" version.  RC versions have an expiration date.  You need to uninstall the RC version and install a proper version.

• Marked as answer by JordanReich Friday, August 7, 2020 5:37 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by JordanReich Saturday, August 8, 2020 4:01 AM
    Friday, August 7, 2020 5:27 PM
  • Understood. Is it possible to do that without loosing any of the data currently on the system? Databases, logins, etc.
    Friday, August 7, 2020 5:29 PM
  • Thank you. That is actually not a problem.

But when I attempted to do that the installation upgrade failed because the SQL Service was not started due to the 17051 error. Am I missing something to do the transition? I will review the material you sent over.

Friday, August 7, 2020 5:38 PM
  • If you needs to use further , you have to upgrade to Enterprise edition.

The details can be get from below link. This will help to understand the available free period after installation.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-sql-server

It will be selected when installing the SQL Server instead providing a license key and now the installed period is over i.e. crossed 180 days for SQL 2019.

If you needs to cross check with date, go to %programfiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\nnn\Setup Bootstrap\Log and verify the date of installation.

If this information help, please vote and mark it as Answer.

Thank you,

Sreekanth Madambath
    Friday, August 7, 2020 6:02 PM
  • If you needs to use further , you have to upgrade to Enterprise edition.

The details can be get from below link. This will help to understand the available free period after installation.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-sql-server

It will be selected when installing the SQL Server instead providing a license key and now the installed period is over i.e. crossed 180 days for SQL 2019.

If you needs to cross check with date, go to %programfiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\nnn\Setup Bootstrap\Log and verify the date of installation.

If this information help, please vote and mark it as Answer.

Thank you,

Sreekanth Madambath

Thank you for that information. If I look at what I have installed on my machine it looks like this:

Appears that I may have 2019 and 2019 RC1 setup. Can I just uninstall 2019 RC1 and will the system fire up again?

Otherwise what I am trying to do now is install en_sql_server_2019_enterprise_x64_dvd_5e1ecc6b onto the system using a valid enterprise license. By navigating to INSTALLATION - Upgrade from a previous version of SQL server - but the checks always fail on SQL Server Service Health Check

There has to be a way to navigate around this problem?

• Edited by JordanReich Friday, August 7, 2020 6:21 PM Added photo
    Friday, August 7, 2020 6:20 PM
  • Otherwise what I am trying to do now is install en_sql_server_2019_enterprise_x64_dvd_5e1ecc6b onto the system using a valid enterprise license. By navigating to INSTALLATION - Upgrade from a previous version of SQL server - but the checks always fail on*SQL Server Service Health Check*. 

There has to be a way to navigate around this problem?

Changing the system time is the normal trick to work around time bombs.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Friday, August 7, 2020 9:35 PM
  • Thanks all!

I was finally able to get the system date/time switched out and in combination with the registry adjustments was able to get the SQL Server and once again turn on. After that the standard upgrade to the enterprise edition completed without any further issues. The problem is now resolved!

Thank you all for your helpful input and advice.

• Marked as answer by JordanReich Saturday, August 8, 2020 4:01 AM
    Saturday, August 8, 2020 4:01 AM