none
Mailbox Role Installation Problems - "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" at the end of installation process

    Question

  • I've already set up one Exchange 2010 Server (Roles: MT, CAS, HT) and I am trying to setup an extra server with only an MB role to test out some of the DAG features. The first server installation went like a charm. Unfortunately I can't seem to get the extra server installed.

    I'm running Windows 2008 EE x64. All Patches available via Windows Update have been applied. I have followed the recommendations for prerequisites from the Technet article "Exchange 2010 Prerequisites" and I have also used the exchange-mbx xml file in the Scripts directory to make sure that all prerequisites are installed. All necessary patches are installed (including the ones for the CAS Role) All the checks pass fine, and one server is already installed using the same method, so you would expect it all to work. The account I am installing with is the account I used to install the other server.

    However, at the end of the Exchange 2010 installation, the Setup indicates that Setup has failed, I get an error message as in the title ""Object reference not set to an instance of an object", a Dr Watson log is created and the installation ends. (dump excerpt is at the end of this post, I can put more if required)

    The Mailbox Server is kind of installed (appears in the EMC) and seems to sort of work, but there are a few weird things that don't give you too much confidence. For example, after a restart, the following error messages appear in Event Viewer: ID 3154 "The Active manager failed to mount database "Mailboc Database" etc...

    I've built another Windows 2008 Server and tried things again and I've got exactly the same problem. So I'm obviously doing something structurally wrong, but I can't figure out what that might be. I tried uninstalling & reinstalling a number of times. After a while, I couldn't even start exchange setup on the server any more which is why I then decided to try my luck (unsuccessfully as it turned out) on a new server. I tried also installing all serverroles on one server again in case this madea difference, but I stll received the same error at the end of the installation.

    [04-26-2009 12:31:17.0499] [2] [WARNING] An unexpected error has occurred
    and a Watson dump is being generated: Object reference not set to an
    instance of an object.
    [04-26-2009 12:31:17.0499] [2] [ERROR] Object reference not set to an
    instance of an object.
    [04-26-2009 12:31:18.0952] [1] [WARNING] <<< Setup failed to execute a
    task. Dumping all variables.... >>>


    Sunday, April 26, 2009 1:58 PM

Answers

All replies

  • Hi

    This case may be occurs if you Disable IPv6 using NIC.if you disable IPv6 from NIC use registry and disable it permanently.

    1. Open Registry Editor.
    2. Locate the following registry subkey:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters
    3. In the details pane, click New , and then click DWORD (32-bit) Value .
    4. Type DisabledComponents , and then press ENTER.
    5. Double-click DisabledComponents , and then type 0xffffffff in Hexadecimal or 4294967295 in Decimal.
    Refer below thread as well.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/fr-FR/exchange2010/thread/33d0f367-5af0-4f8e-a178-65a3098f23fb

    Regards

    Chinthaka | If you think my thread is helpful, Please vote.
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 3:28 PM
  • IPv6 is enabled - I haven't done anything to the default IPv6 settings.
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 3:44 PM
  • This might be due to "Admin Audit Log Agent" Cmdlet Extension Agents which is enabled by default. This is known issue with Mailbox Server role installation in current beta and will be resolved in later builds.

    Try by disabling it on existing Exchange 2010 server with below cmdlet and then install another Mailbox server role.
    Disable-CmdletExtensionAgent "Admin Audit Log Agent"

    References:
    Understanding Cmdlet Extension Agents
    Disable a Cmdlet Extension Agent

    Amit Tank | MVP - Exchange | MCITP:EMA MCSA:M | http://ExchangeShare.WordPress.com
    • Edited by Amit Tank Monday, April 27, 2009 7:06 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Amit Tank Monday, April 27, 2009 7:06 AM
    • Marked as answer by Liapunov Monday, April 27, 2009 5:51 PM
    Monday, April 27, 2009 4:29 AM
  • Hmm, OK, I did enable this on the existing mailbox server! I'll give it a go and let you know!
    Monday, April 27, 2009 5:36 PM
  • Amit,

    You have my everlasting gratitude! That worked perfectly! Thanks a lot!
    Monday, April 27, 2009 5:52 PM
  • You're welcome!! smile_regular


    Amit Tank | MVP - Exchange | MCITP:EMA MCSA:M | http://ExchangeShare.WordPress.com
    Monday, April 27, 2009 6:12 PM
  • Gosh ! I'm only joining the bandwagon now, Amit...you're the man. Tell me the shell (management shell ) Exchange 2010 doesnt work, I also get the same error as the previous asker,but when tryin to get the shell i get the following error: "The WinRM Client sent a request to an HTTP Server & got a response saying the requested HTTP URL was not available" I could be far away from getting the install to work...
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 2:13 PM