none
Personal Folder Retention Tag not working (Exchange 2010 SP1) RRS feed

• Question

• I have created retention tags, added to retention policy, then applied to mailboxes.  The Inbox, Sent Items and Deleted item tags work fine, but the one I created for Personal Folders does not.  It is set to Delete and Allow Recovery after 180 days.  How can I troubleshoot this as to why it does not work?

Also, a couple other questions:

Am I correct that Personal Folders are any folder that a user creates in their mailbox that is not Inbox, Sent, or Deleted?

What is the difference between "Personal Folder" tag and a "All Other Folders" tag?

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 6:56 PM

Answers

• Hi,

"All Other Folders" tag is a DPT

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff625223.aspx

DPTs apply to untagged mailbox items in the entire mailbox. Untagged items are mailbox items that don't already have a retention tag applied, either by inheritance from the folder in which they're located or by the user.

You can apply a Personal Tag on a personal folder to overwrite DPT.

To create a DPT, select All other folders in the mailbox. To create a personal tag, select Personal Folder.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by bluedesert Friday, October 28, 2011 12:47 PM
    Friday, October 28, 2011 6:46 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Only Microsoft Outlook 2010 and Microsoft Office Outlook Web App users apply personal tags and view the retention tags applied to their mailbox folders or items. When you create a personal tag on server side the clients need apply the policy by themselves via outlook or OWA.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd297955.aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 5:18 AM
  • Hello,  thank you for the reply.  Can you please advise if the "All Other Folders" tag is a DPT or a RPT?  How can I tell the difference between a DPT and a Personal tag?

Thanks

Thursday, October 27, 2011 1:30 PM
  • Hi,

"All Other Folders" tag is a DPT

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff625223.aspx

DPTs apply to untagged mailbox items in the entire mailbox. Untagged items are mailbox items that don't already have a retention tag applied, either by inheritance from the folder in which they're located or by the user.

You can apply a Personal Tag on a personal folder to overwrite DPT.

To create a DPT, select All other folders in the mailbox. To create a personal tag, select Personal Folder.

• Marked as answer by bluedesert Friday, October 28, 2011 12:47 PM
    Friday, October 28, 2011 6:46 AM