explorer.exe taking 100% memory RRS feed

• Question

• After starting window, explorer.exe taking 100% memory but i am using only firefox.

system config:

3gb ram

320gb hdd

core 2 due pros

Please let me know what is the problem and how to slove it?

Thank you

Saturday, October 26, 2013 1:07 PM

Answers

• Explorer is not at all equivalent to Firefox.  Internet Explorer is a browser like Firefox is a browser.  Explorer provides the user interface and file access.

You can try killing explorer from Task Manager.  It will cause your user interface to disappear, but it will generally recover after a while.

Did you try rebooting?  Or have you left the system sit for a while?  I have sometimes seen Explorer go crazy for a while, but I walk away and come back later and it is done doing whatever it was doing and I never see the issue again.

.:|:.:|:. tim

• Marked as answer by Susie Long Friday, November 1, 2013 1:28 AM
    Saturday, October 26, 2013 8:53 PM

All replies

• Explorer is not at all equivalent to Firefox.  Internet Explorer is a browser like Firefox is a browser.  Explorer provides the user interface and file access.

You can try killing explorer from Task Manager.  It will cause your user interface to disappear, but it will generally recover after a while.

Did you try rebooting?  Or have you left the system sit for a while?  I have sometimes seen Explorer go crazy for a while, but I walk away and come back later and it is done doing whatever it was doing and I never see the issue again.

.:|:.:|:. tim

• Marked as answer by Susie Long Friday, November 1, 2013 1:28 AM
    Saturday, October 26, 2013 8:53 PM
  • Hi,
    There could be many reasons why explorer.exe causes high CPU or Memory, such as indexing, virus, corrupt system files.
    Firstly, I recommend you perform a full scan to see if there are any viruses, Trojan horses or malware programs are causing this issue.
    Besides, you can run ” sfc /scannow” at the command prompt to check if it is related to any corrupt system files.
    Or you can boot to safe mode to see if the issue persists.
    Best regards,
    Susie
    • Proposed as answer by Susie Long Friday, November 1, 2013 1:28 AM
    Monday, October 28, 2013 8:15 AM