Export Exchange Server 2007 SP1 mailbox to PST in 64bit Environment RRS feed

• Question

• Exchange Server 2007 has reached the end of support and we wish to migrate to Exchange Server 2016.  In the process we are upgrading the Windows Server and other software.  The preferred way for us to do this migration is to set up a new Exchange 2016 server and transfer the mailboxes.  My research indicates that we cannot setup the Exchange 2016 server in the same domain as the Exchange 2007 so our plan is to export the Exchange 2007 mailboxes to PST files and then import these into Exchange 2016.

The problem we have is that Exchange 2007 export to PST will only work in a 32 bit environment and unfortunately I do not have access to a 32 bit machine, the last of these was replaced by 64bit hardware sometime ago.

How can I export the Exchange Server 2007 SP1 mailboxes in a 64bit environment?

The following is the error returned by the Exchange Management Shell

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>export-mailbox -identity test -pstfolderpath d:\temp -w
    hatif
    You are running on a 64-bit computer. To export to or import from a .pst file,
    you must be running a 32-bit computer that has Outlook 2003 SP2 or later
    installed.
    At line:1 char:1
    + export-mailbox -identity test -pstfolderpath d:\temp -whatif
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (:) [], RecipientTaskException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : C120452D

• Edited by Lambo232 Wednesday, July 19, 2017 9:50 PM
    Wednesday, July 19, 2017 9:39 PM

All replies

• A far better migration path is to build an Exchange 2010 server, transition to it, remove Exchange 2007, and then upgrade to Exchange 2016.  It sounds like more work than what you're doing but it will be a far better transition for your users than what you're trying to do.  Trust me, your users won't be happy with the result of what you're doing.

If you choose to ignore my very valuable advice (at your own peril) then you can try installing the Exchange 2007 management tools on a 32-bit machine and running the export there.  Or you can use Outlook to export the mailboxes to a PST on a client machine.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Wednesday, July 19, 2017 11:55 PM
  • Ed is correct, and only downside of course is if you don't have the hardware to make this happen.  Other option would be to use a 3rd party product like DigiScope which would let you open offline copies of the Exchange 2007 EDB's for direct injection of all data into the 2016 server and avoid the whole PST export/import process which can be fraught with errors.

The PST and the DigiScope process would require you remove the Exchange 2007 server before you could install the 2016 server so your users will have some downtime, therefore as Ed says the most effective method would be to migrate to 2010 and then to 2016

Search, Recover, Export Mailboxes, Folders, Email, Contacts, Calendars, Tasks, etc. from Offline Exchange Databases (EDBs), On-Premise Exchange Servers and Office 365. Migrate/Recover direct from any offline EDB into any On-Premises Exchange Server, even cross version i.e. 2003 → 2007 → 2010 →2013 → 2016 → Office 365 with Lucid8's DigiScope

Thursday, July 20, 2017 1:39 AM
  • Thanks for the responses, very much appreciated.  However after carefully analysing all the options we have decided to go with hosted exchange with Office 365.  Office 365 has an automatic migration that works like a charm.  

Lambo232

Thursday, July 27, 2017 10:53 AM
  • Thanks for your reply and sharing!

Regards,

Jason Chao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 31, 2017 2:10 AM