none
Outlook 2003/2007 Sync Issues

Question

• One of our users running Outlook 2003/2007 notices the messages stuck in "Server Failures" under "Sync Issues" the folder.  The server is running Exchange 2003 and obviously the client running Outlook is in Cached mode.  The messages in the folder aren't readble in Outlook.  You get "Can't open the item." when you try to open it but you can open the item fine in OWA.  We deleted the OST file and disable Cached mode and turn on Cache mode again didn't help.  Does anyone know how the messages got stuck in that folder and how to fix it.  We need the messages that are in the "Server Failures" folder.  Thanks so much for your help.

Wednesday, July 09, 2008 11:02 PM

All replies

•  

Hi,

I suggest reading the following article first:

Synchronization error folders

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HP010400421033.aspx

Please note:

The contents of the Sync Issues folder are not copied to your server, and you cannot view the items in the Sync Issues folder from any other computer.

The contents of "Server Failures" folder are available only when you have a connection to your server.

An InfoBar appears at the top of any item that has another copy of the item stored in the Server Failures folder. Clicking the InfoBar will open the Server      Failures folder for you in a separate window.

Items get placed in the sync issues folders when there are problems syncing in cached mode - by changing the profile to online mode, the behavior shouldn't re-occur with respect to the Sync Issues folders. It is difficult to say why the item was placed into the folder, and changing the profile to online mode may expose issues with connectivity between the user's location and the exchange server. It may be that an anti-virus program or the third party add-in corrupted the message, prompting placement into the sync issues folder.

Does this issue happens for specific sender or different persons? You can try to use outlook in safe mode to test it. More info maybe helpful:

Description of Outlook 2003 with Cached Exchange Mode in an Exchange Server 2003 environment

http://support.microsoft.com/KB/870926/EN-US

Hope this helps. Thanks,

Elvis

----how to----

Run Outlook in Safe mode

=========================

The Safe Mode will disable all add-ins or extensions that will not start, or a corrupted resource, file, registry, or templates.

Click Start->Run, Type "Outlook /Safe" (Without quotation marks and there is a space between "Outlook" and "/Safe") and press Enter.

Does the problem occur in Outlook Safe mode?

If the problem doesn't occur this time, please select Tools->Trust Center-> Add-In Tab -> COM Add-ins and click GO. Then clear all the checkboxes, add one check back each time to the list of Add-In, restart Outlook, and repeat the above procedure. Once the issue reappears again, we can determine which add-in causes this problem and then disable it.

(NOTE: Maybe some of them cannot be unmarked, if there is, please bypass them)

Monday, July 14, 2008 3:23 AM
  • Hi Elvis,
    Thank you so much for your help.  Unfortunately I am still having problems.  I checked out all the links you provided.  Running Outlook in Safe mode didn't help either.  I think I figure out why I have messages in the Sync Issues' Server Failures folder.  It was because these are "bad messages" or "corrupt messages."  I don't know the exact term to use here.  I believe here is what happen.  These messages were "bad" and when they try to synchronize, Outlook can't read them and hence place them into the Server Failures folder.  Outlook uses MAPI to access the Exchange server but OWA doesn't.  I think these messages are not readable by using MAPI for some reason only Microsoft knows.  OWA doesn't use MAPI and that's why I can read them.  I still need to read these messages in Outlook because I want to put them in a PST file to archive.  Please help.  Thank you so much.

Monday, July 14, 2008 6:22 AM
  •  

Hello,

I'm having a similar problem.  Did you ever find a solution?  How do I remove the messages from Sync Issues\Server Failures.  They are not visible in Outlook and OWA is too slow.

Many thanks.

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 5:28 PM
  • Unfortunately this is a serious problem even Microsoft support doesn't know how to fix it.  I don't have Enterprise level support, maybe people from Enterprise level support has some idea.  Still trying to find a solution. Sad  You can delete the messages in "Sync Issues\Server failures in outllok.  You just can't read them.
    Friday, October 03, 2008 10:09 PM
  • I'm having send/recieve issues that are caused by Sync Issues\Server Failures.  All my folders are nearly empty except for this one and the Sync Issues folder.  They both show 228976KB and I keep getting the Mailbox Cleanup window.  I have two things sitting in my outbox that will not go.  They are both just webpage links (one on each). 

How do I delete the Issues and Failures so that my mail will send/recieve?

Friday, November 21, 2008 5:37 PM
  • Go to Tools->Mailbox Cleanup. A popup will appear, the very last option on this pop-up gives you the option to delete all alternative versions of items in your mailbox, you could view the conflict size here as well!

P.S: I'm running Outlook 2007!
    • Proposed as answer by Thanks3388822 Wednesday, April 27, 2011 4:22 AM
    Friday, October 23, 2009 2:24 PM
  • Intermittent sync conflicts are often the unintended result of MAPI add-ins.  A known culprit is ActivIdentity.  Disable the Outlook ActivIdentity Extension in the Outlook Add-in Manager (Tools > Options > Other (tab) > Advanced Options (button) > Add-in Manager (button) ), restart Outlook, and see if the problem goes away.  If it is not ActivIdentity, try disabling the other Add-ins, restart Outlook and see if the problem goes away.  If removing all add-ins works, then narrow-down the culprit by progressively adding or subtraction the add-ins.  Usually the sync errors will occur when the user has edited a mail item, like changing the subject line for filing purposes.  In our case we had a mail-zip macro that zipped the attachments of e-mails to conserve space.  That or any other editing on the first time the item was opened would create a sync error.
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 2:02 PM
  • I have same problem even today. (Exchange 2007, Outlook 2007, 2010)I read someware that this can be probem with AV program who is doing some modifications. I also try to remove my NOD32 from client and notice that after that, Syc Issue is almost gone. Cannot be shure of this. I do not have enough time to confirm it. But sync issue folder is practicly duplicatin mail in my users mailboxes.
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 9:51 PM
  • Go to tools> mailbox cleanup, select find items larger than --- Kilobytes, Click find. You will see some items stuck in sync issue/local failure folder. Delete only those items related sync issue/local failure folder. I hope that will solve the problem ,as i myself  solved this problem through this way.

Thursday, March 24, 2011 5:26 AM
  • Control + 6  ==> results in you being able to see the "Sync Issues" folder

Now, just clean / delete all items, including the ones in the subfolders (i.e. conflicts, local failures, server failures)

The above steps will clean your folder size.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 1:44 PM