none
How do I use Wi-Fi and Ethernet connections simultaneously (1903) RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to bridge my Hyper-V External Virtual Switch to a dedicated Internet connection via Ethernet NIC, and leave my Wi-FI connection for my host. I can connect to the Internet through either, but connecting one disables the other.

I have...

a) both, a physical Wi-Fi adapter card and a physical Ethernet NIC in my computer

b) prioritized the Metrics as Wi-Fi (2), Ethernet (3)

c) searched this forum and run into a lot of possibles that do not fit my situation. If this is a LAN/WLAN auto-switching thing, I have no idea where to look; no such thing exists in my UEFI-based bios.

d) each assigned a static IP address, they're on the same subnet and gateway

Any suggestions?

• Edited by msdnScott Tuesday, September 17, 2019 7:10 PM
    Monday, September 16, 2019 9:13 PM

All replies

• You don't need to do anything at that level. You simply clear the "Allow management..." box in your External Switch so that the host cannot use it. I thought that was the default setting.

Bill

Monday, September 16, 2019 11:29 PM
  • Hello,

See if this guide helps you:

https://www.kapilarya.com/how-to-use-wifi-and-ethernet-at-same-time-in-windows-10

Let me know if this helps!

Note: Included link in this reply refers to blog post by a trusted Microsoft MVP. 

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 9:21 AM
  • You don't need to do anything at that level. You simply clear the "Allow management..." box in your External Switch so that the host cannot use it. I thought that was the default setting.

Thanks, Bill, though a) any recommendation on getting both physical connections to be active, and b) would I then bridge the external switch and my Ethernet NIC?

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 3:24 PM
  • Hello,

https://www.kapilarya.com/how-to-use-wifi-and-ethernet-at-same-time-in-windows-10

Kapil, I notice someone commented that your solution no longer worked with 1903...any update to this?

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 4:26 PM
  •   Your external virtual switch will connect to the NIC you want the vms to use. It you disable "allow management.." only the vms can use it. The host will use the other NIC. That is the preferred option. No other changes are necessary. Traffic from the vms will use the NIC which is assigned to your external virtual switch, traffic from the host will use the other NIC. 

The other option ("allow management...") is for machines which only have one NIC so the host must share the virtual switch with the vms.

Bill

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 11:36 PM
  • Hello,

Kapil, I notice someone commented that your solution no longer worked with 1903...any update to this?

I am investigating this at my end and via our MVP channel. Any update I got will be posted there. If you're using prior versions such as V1803 etc. my solution still works.

Regards.

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 4:49 AM
  •   Your external virtual switch will connect to the NIC you want the vms to use. It you disable "allow management.." only the vms can use it. The host will use the other NIC. That is the preferred option. No other changes are necessary. Traffic from the vms will use the NIC which is assigned to your external virtual switch, traffic from the host will use the other NIC. 

Thanks Bill. I understand what you're saying, however, my initial problem is still unsolved...how do I get both NIC's to access the internet separately. I can connect the vExternal to my Ethernet NIC, but there's no Internet connection. I'm still trying to figure out how to use both NIC's.

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 3:06 PM
  • Have you tried all the normal networking tests? Is the host on a LAN? What is the Ethernet NIC of the host connected to? Does the vm get an IP? Can you ping your gateway from the vm?

Bill

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 11:18 PM
  • Have you tried all the normal networking tests? Is the host on a LAN? What is the Ethernet NIC of the host connected to? Does the vm get an IP? Can you ping your gateway from the vm?

The topic issue here is ability to use both Ethernet and WIFI connections at the same time. Individually, each connection functions properly with the host. Per my other support inquiry, I am having connection issues with my VM's, though the host connections work fine individually.

Thursday, September 19, 2019 2:21 PM
  • Hi,

Just checking the current situation of your problem.

Please let us know if you would like further help.

Best regards,

Ellen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 30, 2019 1:58 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we will propose it as ‘Answered’ as the information provided should be helpful.

If you need further help, please feel free to reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.  

Good luck

Ellen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 2:36 AM