none
Outlook Message Manager

Question

• Hi

We have been running Exchange Server 2007 for four years and have three CCR Clusters

Recently, some users, have started to receive strange emails, eg:

'Outlook Message Manager (HGI) (KEY: F90BB4261132FE45AB6D13693D1142EB)'

'Outlook Message Manager (Outlook) (KEY: BEB56DA914D36E4E8D7C161DB6E215B7)'

I received the second one myself, at 08:10 on the morning of my first day with Windows 7 and Outlook 2010 (although I logged in the previous evening)

This is what I know about the messages:

"Outlook Message Manager is created by Outlook to track which messages are downloaded and is stored as a hidden file

These messages are not meant to be viewable. After a short time Outlook should hide them from view again.

Message Tracking does not show the message as it does not actually route and the message should no longer be in the mailbox"

I have been moving mailboxes over the last few months to reclaim whitespace and a few ISINTEGs have been run with no errors

Does anyone know more about these messages and should I be concerned?

Regards

Ian

shapi
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 3:18 PM

All replies

• Are they showing up in recently moved mailboxes? Do the users who get them keep getting new copies of the mailbox manager file? if they get it once and it either disappears or they delete it, i would not worry too much about it. If it comes up more than one, make a new ost file.

Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
    Outlook Daily Tips | Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center
    Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook weekly newsletter
    Sunday, January 29, 2012 8:25 PM
  • Hi Diane

Neither mailbox in the example I have were recently moved
    My profile had been change by moving to Windows 7 the previous day

Both mailboxes only received one copy of the mailbox manager file
    It is strange that i have seen this twice in a month but never in the 4+ years before

I will keep an eye on things then
    (great job on Outlook Daily Tips by the way)

shapi
    Monday, January 30, 2012 8:55 AM
  • Hi shaptoni,

are you using a blackberry?

it happens after creating a new profile (after installed a new os or new office version)

the word between (.....)  like (oulook) is the profile name. so... is HGI an outlook profile?

Thursday, March 15, 2012 2:40 PM
  • Hi

Yes, both HGI and Outlook are profile names

I created a new profile the night before, maybe the message appeared the following morning due to group policy being applied when I logged in.

So is this email generated each time a new profile is created and should be automatically deleted?

shapi

Friday, March 16, 2012 1:14 PM
  • It's created for accounts in your profile and at most, deleting it will cause messages left on the server to download again. I'd delete it and see what happens.

Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
    Outlook Daily Tips | Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center
    Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook weekly newsletter

Friday, March 16, 2012 7:32 PM
  • Yes it appear that some people receive after creating a new profile.
    Also people has received it only once for what i experienced.
    Deleting this email had no impact on my side but keeping it won't hurt as well... just dismiss it for now.
    • Proposed as answer by Gost45 Friday, March 23, 2012 12:26 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Gost45 Friday, March 23, 2012 12:27 PM
    Tuesday, March 20, 2012 12:50 PM
  • Hi,

I have a user who has a BlackBerry and has a desktop with Outlook 2010. She is getting a new Win 7 laptop.  I can't look at it..as its in the box.  But, from the prior conversations...Can you confirm that the reason she is getting this message is because we are setting up a new Outlook Profile on her Win 7 laptop?  Also, she has received 3 messages, do you know when they will stop being sent to her BlackBerry?

thank you

Friday, March 23, 2012 3:10 PM
  • K SL,

yes this message is generated when you create a new outlook 2010 profile. (that is one reason but there is maybe another reason...)

Can you give more info about when she received 3 messages,  all at the same time?

For your info, the BES server just pick-up emails on the exchange server, so if it's sent to the BB, it's because it's in the user mailbox at one moment.

• Proposed as answer by Gost45 Tuesday, May 01, 2012 6:44 PM
    Monday, March 26, 2012 12:42 PM
  • I'm having the same issue with one of my users.  The emails come in at random times.  Has there been any progress in fixing this issue?
    Thursday, July 12, 2012 3:27 PM
  • We also have a user with this issue.  he is getting multiple Subject: Outlook Message Manager (Outlook) (KEY: 39344EF5B9E5AA4DB4BEC1BE663BB9E0) messages on his BlackBerry.  They do not correlate with creating a new profile or adding accounts in either Exchange or on the BES.  Something else must be causing it?  We are Exchange 2007 and BES 5.x.  He is using Outlook 2007 on Win XP - soon going to Win 7 and Outlook 2010.
    Wednesday, August 01, 2012 11:05 AM
  • My client's CEO and several other users are also reporting this.  Message arrives only on BlackBerry.  Issues began shortly after they were issued new replacement laptops.  All systems are Win7/Office2010.  Exchange 2010, BES 5.x.  The messages are not one-time, they are sent at least once a week to the affected users.  But I can't nail down a pattern.

There also seems to be a lively thread here, but no closer to a solution.  Anyone have any ideas?

Sample message:

----- Original Message ----- Subject: Outlook Message Manager (Outlook) (KEY: 24A4D779F036754086529EF153F9E67C)

• Edited by Ritaly Sunday, August 19, 2012 7:01 PM
    Sunday, August 19, 2012 6:59 PM
  • Any resolution to this problem, as I have a BlackBerry user who is also experiencing this weird

Outlook Message Manager (Outlook) (KEY: 680138B1520957478C059135BD26F745) messages?

Thursday, October 11, 2012 1:33 PM
  • These emails should only (if ever) appear on the BlackBerry handhelds. Explanation and fix here: http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/viewdocument.do;jsessionid=5863ECB3C133AAEF34AE435345790670?externalId=KB32860&sliceId=2&cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&noCount=true&ViewedDocsListHelper=com.kanisa.apps.common.BaseViewedDocsListHelperImpl
    • Edited by nat99 Monday, December 31, 2012 12:30 PM
    • Proposed as answer by nat99 Monday, December 31, 2012 12:30 PM
    Monday, December 31, 2012 12:29 PM
  • Guys - this was happening to one of my users on his Outlook account on his machine.  The mailbox all links back to Exchange so it doesnt matter which client receives the email, phone or PC, because once it hits the mailbox, it generates an error.  Not from the server itself but the CLIENT with the problem.

Delete the local mail profile and recreate again.  This wont delete any already delivered messages but it will stop new ones being generated.  For example....dont reinstall Office if there's still a mail profile on the machine as it will try to re-associate the new mail account details to the old profile if the old profile is under the default name of "Outlook".

Go to control panel --> Mail and delete the profile (note any PST's mapped under that profile).

Open Outlook and a new profile will be generated....let it complete the setup and re-map any PST's.  That should be the issue fixed.  The message is stating that the issue with Outlook Message Manager pointing toward the profile within Outlook - not on the mobile device.  Its the Outlook Message Manager that generates the error.

Give it a whirl.

P.S Message Tracking will never see trace of the email as its generated by the client as above and delivered locally as an error.

• Proposed as answer by Jonboytechie Wednesday, February 26, 2014 10:51 AM
    Wednesday, February 26, 2014 10:51 AM
  • Hi All,

We have received some reports saying "Outlook and OWA users randomly receive blank emails with 'Outlook Message Manager' in the Subject" recently. Microsoft has been aware of this issue and is investigating it now. We are sorry for the inconvenience brought. The current workaround is to create a rule or filter conversation views. The rule should be created using "Subject" because the extra messages don't have Sender or Recipient details. We will update the status of the issue once we have any. Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Best Regards,
    Edward Qu

http://community.office365.com/en-us/forums/148/t/224341.aspx

Thursday, March 13, 2014 10:10 AM