none
Fail to update OAB due to Error 0x6d9 (There are no more endpoints available from the endpoint mapper)

Question

• Hi everyone,

I currently have a problem that OAB is not updating, even by manual update. Recently, we demoted a problematic W23K DC, and now moved to W28k R2 DC due to problems with File Replication issue and more.

Confirmed by netdom fsmo, the new DC is the master in all of them listed.

Runnig dcdiag now passes all tests.

I have read other posts, but none seem to be relevant to this problem. I looked into Microsoft KB regarding endpoint mapper error, but couldn't resolve the problems. Anyone could help out this issue would be greatly appreciated.

(PID 3948, Thread 50) Task Update-OfflineAddressBook writing error when processing record of index 0. Error: Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Common.LocalizedException: Failed to generate the content of the offline address book '\Default Offline Address Book'. Two possible reasons for the failure are that the System Attendant Service is not running or you do not have permission to perform this operation. Error message : 'Error 0x6d9 (There are no more endpoints available from the endpoint mapper) from RpcEpResolveBinding'. ---> Microsoft.Exchange.Rpc.RpcException: Error 0x6d9 (There are no more endpoints available from the endpoint mapper) from RpcEpResolveBinding
       at ThrowRpcException(Int32 rpcStatus, String message)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Rpc.RpcClientBase.ThrowRpcException(Int32 rpcStatus, String routineName)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Rpc.RpcClientBase.Initialize(String machineName, String proxyServer, String protocolSequence, NetworkCredential nc, UInt32 httpAuthnSvc, UInt32 authnSvc, Void* interfaceHandle, ValueType clientObjectGuid, Boolean allowImpersonation, Boolean useEncryptedConnection)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Rpc.Trigger.TriggerPrivateRpcClient..ctor(String machineName)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Management.SystemConfigurationTasks.UpdateOfflineAddressBook.InternalProcessRecord()
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

Thursday, June 10, 2010 6:41 AM

Answers

• There can be a few things going on here. Is this Exchange 2007 or Exchange 2010??

In order to generate the OAB you need to have the following:

1. You need to have the correct permissions to the system attendant mailbox on the generation server. It is very possible that you have an active directory replication latency (if you have multiple domain controllers).

2. You could be having a problem binding to the domain controller. OABGen makes NSPI calls to the LSASS service on the gc. Since you demoted the GC and and moved to a new one it is possible that the new server doesn't have the NSPI port registered. You can use the NTDS settings to uncheck the server from being a domain contorller if it is checked and wait 15 minutes or reboot the server after you make the change.

3. If this is Exchange 2010 and you are using powershell, powershell will make remote calls to the powershell service on the exchange server. If your system attendant is not started, this will be a problem. Exchange will run with the system attendant service stopped.

4. You have something else going on with the server. From the error code it looks like an endpoint depletion. Based on the error you have no more endpoints available:

C:\WINXP\system32>err 0x6d9
    # for hex 0x6d9 / decimal 1753
      EPT_S_NOT_REGISTERED                                           winerror.h
    # There are no more endpoints available from the endpoint mapper.

I do not know what the rest of your application and system log look like, however I would call in to CSS and open a support incident.

Dave Goldman [MSFT]

Friday, June 11, 2010 1:56 AM