none
Free Busy information not showing up for New Mailboxes in Outlook 2003

Question

• Hello,

In our Exchange 2007 Server, users can't view the Free Busy data for the Newly Created Equipment mailboxes in outlook 2003. It shows as \\\\\\\\\\\.

When we view the same FB info in Outlook 2007 it shows up good. When i checked all the Mailboxes the calendar appears to be blank. And it started to show the Free Busy information after i send a test meeting Request to all the Mailboxes.

It looks like some issue with the Outlook 2003. Do we have any Fix for that??

Thanks!!

Exchange 2007
    Friday, September 18, 2009 6:01 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I tried everything and no luck.
    It seems we have the Free Busy information issues for the for the newly created mailboxes only when checking using the Outlook 2003. It seems good in Outlook 2007 and also thru OWA.

Looks like some bug in 2003.

The Frre Busy information will started to show fine in Outlook 2003 once you send out a test meeting invite. You will be seeing the Free Busy information as \\\\ only when the recipients/resource mailbox calendar is Fully Blank or empty.

Thanks,

Exchange 2007
    • Marked as answer by Pazhanisami Monday, March 08, 2010 7:50 PM
    Thursday, October 08, 2009 8:08 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Did you select that you have  Outlook 2003 clients when installing Exchange 2007 ?

Regards,

Johan
    blog: www.johanveldhuis.nl
    Friday, September 18, 2009 7:24 PM
  • With Outlook 2003, you would not be able to log on to Exchange without Public Folders. To the original problem of Free / Busy showiing only \\\\\\ on all or some fields: I think the solution is to have your Outlook 2003 users start to book this equipment. Then the free/busy time will start to show up, at first a bit slowly.

We had the same situation after we had migrated some 500 users. Everything was fine with Outlook 2007 and OWA, but only some fields would show up in Outlook 2003, the rest was \\\\. My theory at that time was that this initiated the communication between the web-based Availability service and the Free / Busy system information in the public folders for these resources. Not sure.

jas
    Friday, September 18, 2009 9:08 PM
  • Try to clean free busy information in Outlook 2003, so that it regenerates the free busy information

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11\Outlook.exe  / CleanFreeBusy

Check this tweak on one machine and post us..

Reference: http://www.petri.co.il/outlook_2003_command_line_switches.htm
    Sunday, September 20, 2009 9:33 AM
  • Jogan - Yes. We have selected the outlook 2003 clients when installing. I don't remember like we had this issue earlier. Hope it should have started only recently.

Jon - the issue occurs only if the Equipment mailbox is empty. All users cab view the FB info after booking booking an test meaning. It seems like the Outlook 2003 is not oulling the FB info when the calendar is empty. After its has some test entries, then it started to sync fine.

Hari- It is not an /CleanFreeBusy issue.

Thanks,
    Exchange 2007
    Monday, September 21, 2009 10:43 AM
  • So lets wait and see, any forum users suggestions.. added to that if any fix you found just post us.
    Monday, September 21, 2009 11:03 AM
  • Please note: The unavailability of Free/Busy information appears as black hatched lines in the Attendee Availablity dialog box.

I believe you try with Outlook 2003 SP3 - please try with this version? Also make sure that you try with the version of Exchange Server 2007 SP2?

1) What's the Event id that you get?
    2) Does this users have delegated permissions?
    3) Do we have issue with the Exchange Resource accounts?

Not sure, have you tried the following:

Method 1:
    1. On the Tools menu, click Options, click Calendar Options, and then click Free/Busy options.
    2. In the "Publish <2> month(s) of Calendar Free/Busy information on the server" box, type how far ahead you want the server to publish Free/Busy time.
    3. Click OK three times to return to Outlook.
    Method 2:

1. On the Tools menu, click Options, click Calendar Options, and then click Free/Busy Options.
    2. In the "Update Free/Busy information on the server every <15> minutes" box, type how often you want the server to update.
    3. Click OK three times to return to Outlook.

Let me know whether this resolves the issue or not?

DeVa, M.S., {MSFT}
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 11:07 PM
  • Hello,

I tried everything and no luck.
    It seems we have the Free Busy information issues for the for the newly created mailboxes only when checking using the Outlook 2003. It seems good in Outlook 2007 and also thru OWA.

Looks like some bug in 2003.

The Frre Busy information will started to show fine in Outlook 2003 once you send out a test meeting invite. You will be seeing the Free Busy information as \\\\ only when the recipients/resource mailbox calendar is Fully Blank or empty.

Thanks,

Exchange 2007
    • Marked as answer by Pazhanisami Monday, March 08, 2010 7:50 PM
    Thursday, October 08, 2009 8:08 PM