Error Re-Creating DAG RRS feed

• Question

• I've encountered an error when trying to re-create a DAG.  We had a DAG created with the wrong witness server and instead of fixing the Witness server, the entire DAG was delete.  Now when we go and try to create a new DAG with the same name, we get and error.  The error is below.  Has anyone see this before?  Is there any way to fix this?  From my research I found that the old DAG is listed in the Deleted Objects in the AD configuration continer but the Tombstone entry hasn't cleared yet.  I assume that is what is causing this, but can anyone verify?

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>New-DatabaseAvailabilityGroup -Name NYCDAG1
    You must provide a value for this property.
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (0:Int32) [New-DatabaseAvailabilityGroup], DataValidationException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : E2B1B59C,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.SystemConfigurationTasks.NewDatabaseAvailabilityG
       roup

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>

-Kris
    Monday, October 10, 2011 4:29 PM

Answers

All replies

• Have you tried creating with a new name? 

I wouldn't have though the tombstone would effect this, has AD replication occured?

If you run Get-DatabaseAvailabilityGroup  do you get anything back?

Do you just have the 1 DAG?

Sukh
    Monday, October 10, 2011 10:32 PM
  • The only time I encounter this is that AD hasn't replicated yet and it still think the DAG name is still active.
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 1:28 AM
  • Why you want to create with the same name?

Why not create with the new name and add the databases to it.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 8:28 PM
  • Did you checked if the computer object with the DAG name still exists in ADUC? Remove the Node from the DAG cluster "cluster.exe node /force" http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc739895(WS.10).aspx

Someone also experience the issue about DAG, even when it was removed gracefully here is the reference http://www.howexchangeworks.com/2011/10/error-while-uninstalling-exchange-2010.html

Jasjit Singh Dhindsa | ITIL v3 | IASA Foundation Certified | MCITP:Exchange 2010 | Exchange 2007 | MCTS:OCS 2007 | Exchange 2010 | Exchange 2007 | MCSA:Messaging | Security | MCSE:Messaging | Security | MCP
    • Marked as answer by Kris Adolfsen Thursday, October 13, 2011 6:12 PM
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 8:29 AM
  • Thanks,

I found this out from a collegue but this was the answer.  The computer object for the DAG was still in AD and I (being new to 2010) didn't know that the DAG created a computer object.

-Kris
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 6:13 PM